US lied to Britain over use of napalm in Iraq war

Llareggub

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 03:06 pm
Apparently there is some confusion. I will try to assist

One of the stated reasons we went to war in Iraq, was to prevent Saddam from using chemical weapons. That doesn't mean, the US can't use chemical weapons, it just means we don't want the Iraqis using them. I know someone may wish to split some hairs over the definiton of 'chemical weapons', but I would suggest that if you are on the ground when napalm is flying in your direction, you would probably view it as being akin to a chemical weapon, and it would certainly be as terrifying. Dare I say, a weapon of terror. It's getting difficult to tell the difference these days. Is this a war on terror, or a war of terror? Who are the terrorists?

As georgeob1 stated, victory occurs when the enemy gives up hope. The downside of course, is that your enemy probably feels the same way, which is why they do things like crash planes into buildings in order to shake your resolve. I do commend your clear sighted logic however. Perhaps brutal honesty, is the best policy. Maybe the US should just declare total war on its enemies. Everything goes. Kill and destroy the enemy into submission, in the shortest possible time. Of course some people will complain, but so what. S**t happens, deal with it, move on. No point spending decades or centuries wringing hands, complaining about some perceived injustice that happend in the past. Country X invades Country Y. Country X takes over. Its done, Its over. Darwinian evolution. The strongest survive. Naplam Iraqis? Why not? Problems only occur when you show restraint or self doubt.

Of course, if that is US policy, then the US can't really complain if others do likewise, now, in the past, or in the future.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 11:08 pm
old europe wrote:
oralloy wrote:
We only limit weapons via international law.

We have never chosen to limit napalm under international law.

But when we used napalm in Iraq, we constrained ourselves to the limitations others have chosen to place on napalm, even though it was not necessary for us to do so.

That's not quite true. Others have chosen not to use napalm at all. That is, every other country except for the United States:

They are free to not use it. But that choice isn't really a limitation. They can reverse their decision if they wish.

Quote:
In Geneva, Protocol III (Protocol on Prohibitions or Restrictions on the Use of Incendiary Weapons) of the Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons is adopted on October 10, 1980, making it illegal to use incendiary weapons on civilian populations and restricting the use of these weapons against military targets that are located within a concentration of civilians. Such weapons are considered "to be excessively injurious or to have indiscriminate effects." 51 countries initially sign the document and on December 2, 1983, its provisions are entered into force. By the end of 2004, 104 countries sign and 97 ratify the protocol. The US is not a party to this protocol and continues to use incendiary weapons in all its major conflicts. It is the only country to do so.

That is the limitation I mentioned that other people have placed on napalm, which we followed in Iraq even though we were not required to do so.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 11:14 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
orally, The reason the use of napalm in Iraq is important is because US signed an agreement not to use them any more.

This is not true.

Correct: the USA didn't sign the UN convention of 1980.

Note that the 1980 convention doesn't prohibit the use of napalm.

It just says you can't use it in aircraft-delivered weapons within a population center, and you can only use non-aircraft-delivered napalm in a population center if it is against a military objective that is well-separated from any civilians.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 11:26 pm
Llareggub wrote:
Apparently there is some confusion. I will try to assist

One of the stated reasons we went to war in Iraq, was to prevent Saddam from using chemical weapons. That doesn't mean, the US can't use chemical weapons, it just means we don't want the Iraqis using them.

True. However, so far as I know, we haven't used chemical weapons since WWI, and many of our commanders resisted using them even then.

Llareggub wrote:
I know someone may wish to split some hairs over the definiton of 'chemical weapons', but I would suggest that if you are on the ground when napalm is flying in your direction, you would probably view it as being akin to a chemical weapon, and it would certainly be as terrifying.

No need to split hairs. Napalm is no more a chemical weapon than a butterfly is a chemical weapon.

Llareggub wrote:
Dare I say, a weapon of terror. It's getting difficult to tell the difference these days. Is this a war on terror, or a war of terror? Who are the terrorists?

Terrorism seems to be defined as a crime against humanity committed by non-state actors.

That would seem to point to al-Qa'ida as the terrorists, as we are a state, and while we do seem to commit our fair share of war crimes (especially indiscriminate bombing), we haven't committed any crimes against humanity in the last century.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 9 Aug, 2005 11:37 pm
oralloy wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
orally, The reason the use of napalm in Iraq is important is because US signed an agreement not to use them any more.

This is not true.

Correct: the USA didn't sign the UN convention of 1980.

Note that the 1980 convention doesn't prohibit the use of napalm.

It just says you can't use it in aircraft-delivered weapons within a population center, and you can only use non-aircraft-delivered napalm in a population center if it is against a military objective that is well-separated from any civilians.

Note:

Protocol on Prohibitions or Restrictions on the Use of Incendiary Weapons (Protocol III). Geneva, 10 October 1980.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 04:28 am
oralloy wrote:
old europe wrote:
oralloy wrote:

But when we used napalm in Iraq, we constrained ourselves to the limitations others have chosen to place on napalm, even though it was not necessary for us to do so.

That's not quite true. Others have chosen not to use napalm at all. That is, every other country except for the United States:

They are free to not use it. But that choice isn't really a limitation. They can reverse their decision if they wish.

They can reverse their decision by breaking the treaty they have signed. Of course the United States don't have the need of breaking treaties. As has been mentioned 195 times on this thread, the US never signed one.

oralloy wrote:
Quote:
In Geneva, Protocol III (Protocol on Prohibitions or Restrictions on the Use of Incendiary Weapons) of the Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons is adopted on October 10, 1980, making it illegal to use incendiary weapons on civilian populations and restricting the use of these weapons against military targets that are located within a concentration of civilians. Such weapons are considered "to be excessively injurious or to have indiscriminate effects." 51 countries initially sign the document and on December 2, 1983, its provisions are entered into force. By the end of 2004, 104 countries sign and 97 ratify the protocol. The US is not a party to this protocol and continues to use incendiary weapons in all its major conflicts. It is the only country to do so.

That is the limitation I mentioned that other people have placed on napalm, which we followed in Iraq even though we were not required to do so.

Obviously not followed in Iraq, unless you don't want to call a Mark-77 firebomb napalm. But of course you're not obliged to do so. Would probably have been a nice gesture to tell your ally who has signed the above treaty and all the additional protocols, but of course the States have done nothing "illegal".
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 10:20 am
As for the use of naplam, isn't the important issue for the US the killing of innocent people? We're talking between our teeth - while the US always claims we make every effort to minimize the killing of innocent civilians.
0 Replies

Llareggub

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 01:21 pm
oralloy

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

I'm not interested in the definition of 'chemical weapon' or 'terrorism', as stated in a book or document. I'm more interested in the reality for the victims.

For example, if you are an Iraqi driving down a road, and a hypothetical US plane is flying overhead loaded with napalm and chemical weapons, and the plane closes in for the attack, I would suggest that you would not sigh with relief, simply because the plane drops napalm rather than a bomb containing chemicals. Indeed, I would rather take my chances with the chemicals. Its hard to see the difference between inhaling gas / absorbing chemicals or burning to death after a napalm strike. Of course, you might be lucky and survive the naplam strike, with burns all over your disfigured body, as well as the internal injuries that it can cause.

I also find it interesting how people play around with the meaning of terror or terrorism. Again, I would suggest that the best way to decide what is an act of 'terrorism', is to ask the victims, or potential victims. If they feel terrified or terrorised, then from their perspective, it is 'terrorism'. Its not just 'terrorist groups' that can endulge in terrorism of a target group. As georgeob1 put it, victory comes about when the enemy gives up hope.

Even governments know how, and do use acts of terror to bring about victory. They will call it something else of course, put some positive spin on things, maybe hype up the fear factor a little bit more so the public will support everything just short of a nuclear bomb, or just do it all out of sight, where the TV crews can't reach until the job is done. What you see later on TV, is the sanitised viewer friendly version - black and white images of 'smart bombs' going down chimneys, rather the bombs dropping on villagers at a wedding, shooting rifles in the air in celebration, for example. Or 'friendly fire', 'blue on blue' incidents', killing people on your own side. You can call it what you want, war or whatever, but the victims might not agree.

Governments need to step carefully. Its hard to win hearts and minds of a populace, if the average civilian has difficulty seeing the difference between the 'terrorists' and the foreign military power that is using terror tactics such as dropping naplam, no matter what the justification. Considering the military's propensity for dropping bombs on civilian targets by accident, do you think that there is a chance of a 'mistake' being made when dropping naplam? How will Iraqis view that, if many of the victims are children, for example? Think of the images on TV. Not exactly great PR. How long before it happens?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:00 pm
old europe wrote:
oralloy wrote:
old europe wrote:
oralloy wrote:

They can reverse their decision by breaking the treaty they have signed. Of course the United States don't have the need of breaking treaties. As has been mentioned 195 times on this thread, the US never signed one.

There is no need for them to either break the treaty or withdraw from it, so long as they wish to only use napalm according to the guidelines of the treaty.

old europe wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Quote:

Obviously not followed in Iraq, unless you don't want to call a Mark-77 firebomb napalm.

I'm fine with calling the Mark 77 napalm.

Our use of napalm was only on military targets well-away from civilian areas. That seems to be within the guidelines laid down by the protocol.

Now, our use of white phosphorus in Fallujah was a little trickier, but we're probably OK there too.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:03 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
As for the use of naplam, isn't the important issue for the US the killing of innocent people? We're talking between our teeth - while the US always claims we make every effort to minimize the killing of innocent civilians.

That would seem a more important issue from my perspective.

We did make indiscriminate attacks with rocket artillery in civilian areas. That was a war crime.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:16 pm
Llareggub wrote:
oralloy

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

I'm not interested in the definition of 'chemical weapon' or 'terrorism', as stated in a book or document. I'm more interested in the reality for the victims.

For example, if you are an Iraqi driving down a road, and a hypothetical US plane is flying overhead loaded with napalm and chemical weapons, and the plane closes in for the attack, I would suggest that you would not sigh with relief, simply because the plane drops napalm rather than a bomb containing chemicals. Indeed, I would rather take my chances with the chemicals. Its hard to see the difference between inhaling gas / absorbing chemicals or burning to death after a napalm strike. Of course, you might be lucky and survive the naplam strike, with burns all over your disfigured body, as well as the internal injuries that it can cause.

Actually, it would be neither napalm nor chemical weapons.

The bomb would be ordinary high explosive.

I can't speak to the issue of what one is preferable to be attacked with, just to the issue of what ones are legal and which ones we did or didn't use.

Llareggub wrote:
I also find it interesting how people play around with the meaning of terror or terrorism. Again, I would suggest that the best way to decide what is an act of 'terrorism', is to ask the victims, or potential victims. If they feel terrified or terrorised, then from their perspective, it is 'terrorism'. Its not just 'terrorist groups' that can endulge in terrorism of a target group. As georgeob1 put it, victory comes about when the enemy gives up hope.

That does not seem to be the established definition of terrorism.

Llareggub wrote:
Governments need to step carefully. Its hard to win hearts and minds of a populace, if the average civilian has difficulty seeing the difference between the 'terrorists' and the foreign military power that is using terror tactics such as dropping naplam, no matter what the justification.

Dropping napalm is not a terror tactic.

Llareggub wrote:
Considering the military's propensity for dropping bombs on civilian targets by accident, do you think that there is a chance of a 'mistake' being made when dropping naplam? How will Iraqis view that, if many of the victims are children, for example? Think of the images on TV. Not exactly great PR. How long before it happens?

I'd say the odds are very close to zero.

We only used napalm in a very limited context in the opening days of the war (we wanted to bomb the guards blocking access to key bridges, and used napalm because high explosive would have damaged or destroyed the bridges).

Since then, we haven't used napalm at all.

Now, if you want to talk white phosphorus, we did shell Fallujah with that. We could have got some civilians in that case.
0 Replies

Llareggub

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 02:26 pm
oralloy

Again, I will try to clarify for you.

It was a 'hypothetical' plane and you can choose which 'hypothetical' cause of death you would prefer. Chemical weapons or naplam? Which is the worst or most horrific way to die? Personally I would find it hard to choose between them. Its strange (but not surprising) how the US military and government seem to find the use of one acceptable (the stuff they use), but yet the other is unacceptable (the stuff the enemy uses). It is a twisted logic, but a lot of people seem sufficiently gullibile or out of touch with the reality of violence, to accept what they are being told.

A "definition of terrorism" will be dependant on who you ask. Those engaging in terrorism, including governments, will obviously not include any type of activity in THEIR definition of terrorism, that they actually engage in. Many governments around the world are aware of the possibility that any definition they agree to, (your "established definition") will have to be flexible enough to allow them wriggle room sometime in the future, for whenever they engage in terrrorist activity.

You say that dropping naplam is not terrorism. Actually, anything can be used in an act of terrorism. A bullet, naplam or a hijacked plane crashed into a building, for example. Dropping naplam is therefore capable of being defined as an act of terrorism. It simply depends on the circumstances and the motivation of those responsible for the air strike. As stated previously, the government and / or military, will obviously put a positive spin on every action they engage in, and justify the use of any weapon no matter how horrific, up to and including an atomic bomb in WW2. People like yourself will then believe whatever version of reality you feel comfortable with.

You said, "Now, if you want to talk white phosphorus, we did shell Fallujah with that. We could have got (this is the best bit) SOME CIVILIANS in that case." Nicely understated view of urban conflict. I think that is what they call a state of 'denial'.

The harsh reality is that the US military attack targets, knowing that civilians will be injured and / or killed. It isn't a matter of 'could have' or 'some'. Please recall the trigger happy tactics of soldiers travelling trough cities, shooting at vehicles that get too close. Life is cheap, especially when it is an Iraqi. It is even easier to extinguish a life when the victim is at a distance and out of sight. Anyway, when the bodies are blown to pieces by an exploding shell, who the hell is counting how many Iraqis died?

Do you know the casualty figures for Iraqis? Does the government? They certainly didn't seem to care too much in the past.

It is not a War on Terror, it is a War OF Terror. If terror is a tactic of the US government / military, that's fine, I just wish they wouldn't insult the intelligence of people with a sufficient mental capacity to distinguish between reality and propaganda. I just wish they would be honest about it. I might actually respect them if they stopped bullsh*tting about what they are doing, although I understand why they feel unable to state the facts. The voters have been brainwashed for so long, they couldn't handle the truth about what their 'boys' are doing overseas. They need to believe that they are the good guys and that its only the enemy who engage in terror tactics. Visions of melting bodies after a naplam strike would make it hard for the folks back home to swallow their TV dinners. No wonder the US lied to the Brits and for that matter, the folks back home. Although, that is just business as usual. The truth was naplamed long ago.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 10:34 pm
Llareggub wrote:
oralloy

Again, I will try to clarify for you.

It was a 'hypothetical' plane and you can choose which 'hypothetical' cause of death you would prefer. Chemical weapons or naplam? Which is the worst or most horrific way to die? Personally I would find it hard to choose between them.

If this hypothetical plane is choosing between napalm and chemical weapons, it is not being flown by US pilots, because they do not use chemical weapons at all, and they would never use napalm in the circumstances of your hypothetical.

Llareggub wrote:
Its strange (but not surprising) how the US military and government seem to find the use of one acceptable (the stuff they use), but yet the other is unacceptable (the stuff the enemy uses). It is a twisted logic, but a lot of people seem sufficiently gullibile or out of touch with the reality of violence, to accept what they are being told.

Not so strange or twisted. The one they don't use, is completely illegal. The one they do use, is perfectly legal.

Llareggub wrote:
A "definition of terrorism" will be dependant on who you ask. Those engaging in terrorism, including governments, will obviously not include any type of activity in THEIR definition of terrorism, that they actually engage in. Many governments around the world are aware of the possibility that any definition they agree to, (your "established definition") will have to be flexible enough to allow them wriggle room sometime in the future, for whenever they engage in terrrorist activity.

The definition that most people use, and the definition that everyone thinks of when they hear the term, is the intentional targeting of civilians by clandestine attackers.

Llareggub wrote:
You say that dropping naplam is not terrorism. Actually, anything can be used in an act of terrorism. A bullet, naplam or a hijacked plane crashed into a building, for example. Dropping naplam is therefore capable of being defined as an act of terrorism. It simply depends on the circumstances and the motivation of those responsible for the air strike.

It is true that had clandestine agents commandeered an aircraft and then used it to intentionally drop napalm on civilians, that would be an act of terrorism.

Llareggub wrote:
As stated previously, the government and / or military, will obviously put a positive spin on every action they engage in, and justify the use of any weapon no matter how horrific, up to and including an atomic bomb in WW2. People like yourself will then believe whatever version of reality you feel comfortable with.

There is only one reality. I am fairly comfortable with it.

Llareggub wrote:
You said, "Now, if you want to talk white phosphorus, we did shell Fallujah with that. We could have got (this is the best bit) SOME CIVILIANS in that case." Nicely understated view of urban conflict. I think that is what they call a state of 'denial'.

I don't see how an admission that we could have accidentally got some civilians with the white phosphorus is a denial.

Llareggub wrote:
The harsh reality is that the US military attack targets, knowing that civilians will be injured and / or killed. It isn't a matter of 'could have' or 'some'. Please recall the trigger happy tactics of soldiers travelling trough cities, shooting at vehicles that get too close. Life is cheap, especially when it is an Iraqi. It is even easier to extinguish a life when the victim is at a distance and out of sight. Anyway, when the bodies are blown to pieces by an exploding shell, who the hell is counting how many Iraqis died?

Do you know the casualty figures for Iraqis? Does the government? They certainly didn't seem to care too much in the past.

I'd guess our troops accidentally killed some 10,000 during major combat, and perhaps some 2,000 after major combat.

A few thousand of those killed during major combat were illegally killed by indiscriminate bombing. But they were not killed intentionally.

Llareggub wrote:
It is not a War on Terror, it is a War OF Terror. If terror is a tactic of the US government / military, that's fine, I just wish they wouldn't insult the intelligence of people with a sufficient mental capacity to distinguish between reality and propaganda. I just wish they would be honest about it. I might actually respect them if they stopped bullsh*tting about what they are doing, although I understand why they feel unable to state the facts. The voters have been brainwashed for so long, they couldn't handle the truth about what their 'boys' are doing overseas. They need to believe that they are the good guys and that its only the enemy who engage in terror tactics.

The US does not engage in terror tactics.

During the cold war we supplied some groups that employed terror tactics, because those groups opposed the Soviets. But we did not engage in such tactics ourselves.
0 Replies