US lied to Britain over use of napalm in Iraq war

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:51 am
Intrepid wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
McTag wrote:
Definition: A terrorist is a man with a bomb, but no airforce.

Nonsense. A terrorist is a man who preferentially attacks non-combatants as the primary, intended target. That's why we're not terrorists, but many of our adversaries are.

Terrorism is a controversial and subjective term with multiple definitions. One definition means a violent action targetting civilians exclusively. Another definition is the use or threatened use of violence for the purpose of creating fear in order to achieve a political, economic, religious, or ideological goal. Under the second definition, the targets of terrorist acts can be anyone, including civilians, government officials, military personnel, or people serving the interests of governments.

Through intimidation or by instilling fear, terrorism can be used as a form of blackmail to apply pressure on governments for goals the terrorists could not achieve by other means. Civilians are usually held to be "innocent" victims of terrorist violence if they are unarmed and not in uniform when it occurs. Intentional violence against civilians (noncombatants) is the type of action most widely condemned as "terrorism".

Guerrilla warfare is sometimes confused with terrorism, in that a relatively small force attempts to achieve large goals by using organized acts of directed violence against a larger force. But in contrast to terrorism, these acts are almost always against military targets, and civilian targets are minimized in an attempt to increase public support. For this reason, guerrilla tactics are generally considered military strategy rather than terrorism, although both terrorism and guerrilla warfare could be considered forms of asymmetric warfare. Regardless, the perpetually unresolved argument of whether the use of terrorism is a valid form of warfare can be summed up by the infamous quote that "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter," although as Furedi notes: "Anybody can call anybody a terrorist... however, it is those designated 'terrorist' by the great powers who suffer the consequences of living with the label."

source-Wikipedia

You yourself have pretty much agreed with my objection to McT's designation of anyone with a bomb but not an air force as terrorists when you admitted that the word is most aptly applied to people who attack non-combatants deliberately. This is also, my definition, and, therefore, the "perpetually unresolved" argument as to whether one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter is not the slightest bit unresolved to me. Anyone who targets non-combatants as the primary target is acting immorally. The US does not do that on purpose. The designation of who is a terrorist by "the great powers" is usually dead on correct, so it is fitting that it is those people who suffer the consequences of the description.

Brandon, you seem to pick and choose what you actually read and what you actually pick out of it. I did NOT agree with what you said. If you go back and look at the first paragraph you will see that it says
Quote:
Another definition is the use or threatened use of violence for the purpose of creating fear in order to achieve a political, economic, religious, or ideological goal. Under the second definition, the targets of terrorist acts can be anyone, including civilians, government officials, military personnel, or people serving the interests of governments.

Intrepid wrote:

Intentional violence against civilians (noncombatants) is the type of action most widely condemned as "terrorism".
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 09:54 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

The difference is intent. Someone who straps a nail bomb to his chest and kills himself in a marketplace is trying to kill non-combatants as his primary intended target. To equate that with the civilian losses that always occur in war, even by an army trying not to kill civilians is ridiculous.

Not too many bombs blowing up in "marketplaces" in Iraq. Most of them are in areas that have govt officials of some kind, police headquarters, recruiting areas for military etc. Lots of bombs targetting soldiers. I am curious how you know "intent" of the bombers in Iraq. Is it only a guess based on what you want to believe?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 10:03 am
squinney wrote:
Here's an earlier (Aug 2003) report and, just for Brandon, it include names.

Quote:
The Independent August 10, 2003

US admits it used napalm bombs in Iraq

In-Depth Coverage By Andrew Buncombe

American pilots dropped the controversial incendiary agent napalm on Iraqi troops during the advance on Baghdad. The attacks caused massive fireballs that obliterated several Iraqi positions.

The Pentagon denied using napalm at the time, but Marine pilots and their commanders have confirmed that they used an upgraded version of the weapon against dug-in positions. They said napalm, which has a distinctive smell, was used because of its psychological effect on an enemy.

A 1980 UN convention banned the use against civilian targets of napalm, a terrifying mixture of jet fuel and polystyrene that sticks to skin as it burns. The US, which did not sign the treaty, is one of the few countries that makes use of the weapon. It was employed notoriously against both civilian and military targets in the Vietnam war.

The upgraded weapon, which uses kerosene rather than petrol, was used in March and April, when dozens of napalm bombs were dropped near bridges over the Saddam Canal and the Tigris river, south of Baghdad.

"We napalmed both those [bridge] approaches," said Colonel James Alles, commander of Marine Air Group 11. "Unfortunately there were people there ... you could see them in the [cockpit] video. They were Iraqi soldiers. It's no great way to die. The generals love napalm. It has a big psychological effect."

A reporter from the Sydney Morning Herald who witnessed another napalm attack on 21 March on an Iraqi observation post at Safwan Hill, close to the Kuwaiti border, wrote the following day: "Safwan Hill went up in a huge fireball and the observation post was obliterated. 'I pity anyone who is in there,' a Marine sergeant said. 'We told them to surrender.'"

At the time, the Pentagon insisted the report was untrue. "We completed destruction of our last batch of napalm on 4 April, 2001," it said.

The revelation that napalm was used in the war against Iraq, while the Pentagon denied it, has outraged opponents of the war.

"Most of the world understands that napalm and incendiaries are a horrible, horrible weapon," said Robert Musil, director of the organisation Physicians for Social Responsibility. "It takes up an awful lot of medical resources. It creates horrible wounds." Mr Musil said denial of its use "fits a pattern of deception [by the US administration]".

The Pentagon said it had not tried to deceive. It drew a distinction between traditional napalm, first invented in 1942, and the weapons dropped in Iraq, which it calls Mark 77 firebombs. They weigh 510lbs, and consist of 44lbs of polystyrene-like gel and 63 gallons of jet fuel.

Officials said that if journalists had asked about the firebombs their use would have been confirmed. A spokesman admitted they were "remarkably similar" to napalm but said they caused less environmental damage.

But John Pike, director of the military studies group GlobalSecurity.Org, said: "You can call it something other than napalm but it is still napalm. It has been reformulated in the sense that they now use a different petroleum distillate, but that is it. The US is the only country that has used napalm for a long time. I am not aware of any other country that uses it." Marines returning from Iraq chose to call the firebombs "napalm".

Mr Musil said the Pentagon's effort to draw a distinction between the weapons was outrageous. He said: "It's Orwellian. They do not want the public to know. It's a lie."

In an interview with the San Diego Union-Tribune, Marine Corps Maj-Gen Jim Amos confirmed that napalm was used on several occasions in the war.

Global Security Source

Actually, that doesn't have the name of the "liars," although it answers my other questions. This does, however:

Source

To say something that is true technically, but false in spirit is very stupid, particulalry when it is sure to be checked. The people who gave the misleading information ought to be fired, even now several years after the incident. I wanted a few specifics because it is easy to accuse even the innocent if there are few details given. If this is what it appears to be, it was really foolish.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 10:06 am
parados wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

The difference is intent. Someone who straps a nail bomb to his chest and kills himself in a marketplace is trying to kill non-combatants as his primary intended target. To equate that with the civilian losses that always occur in war, even by an army trying not to kill civilians is ridiculous.

Not too many bombs blowing up in "marketplaces" in Iraq. Most of them are in areas that have govt officials of some kind, police headquarters, recruiting areas for military etc. Lots of bombs targetting soldiers. I am curious how you know "intent" of the bombers in Iraq. Is it only a guess based on what you want to believe?

I am making an abstract statement about terrorism in answer to an abstract statement about terrorism. An army that tries to avoid hitting civilians but intentionally does, is not morally in the same category with someone whose sole purpose is to kill non-combatants.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 10:43 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

What do you do with these three conceptions (which are by no means exhaustive):

1) Remember when we had intel to bomb Saddam's two kids? We acted fast and bombed a civilian center. They weren't there (as they were killed later) and we knew full well what we were bombing.

Could a suicide bomber be a freedom fighter as long as he got close to one American or Iraqi soldier before he let those chest charges go?

2) Collateral Damage. Our collateral damage in city fighting must be immense. If we have killed 100,000 Iraqui soldiers and insurgents the numbers suggest that we have 13,000 to 20,000 collateral dead. Can intent ONLY be the measurment of a freedom fighter / terrorist.

3) Depleted Uranium We have used so damned much depleted uranium that Iraqi's will be having two headed kids for thousands of years to come. Where is the line drawn? Suicide bomber get's 13 or Freedom Fighter uses a munition that get's 3 of the enemy but slowly kills hundreds of innocent civilians we liberated.

We ONLY use depleted uranium because we have so bloody much of it - not because we don't have a clue what we are doing to the water supply and ground purity.

I am not saying we are all terrorists - I fully see your argument - but I see that answer as far more grey than black and white.

War is a friggin mess - which is the reason you only enter as a last resort - from the intel that was clearly telling us they had no real way of harming us on a mass scale (unless you have bought that Iraq was the cause of 9/11 - when in reality we should have invaded Saudi Arabia) we were no where near last resort.

With all of this said - I really appreciate you sticking to your guns and bringing something to the table. Our discussions have given me a pause and a chance to see the other side of how I generally think. I appreciate your bawls to bring it consistently and your ability to take the time to write it down.

TTF
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 10:58 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
I am making an abstract statement about terrorism in answer to an abstract statement about terrorism. An army that tries to avoid hitting civilians but intentionally does, is not morally in the same category with someone whose sole purpose is to kill non-combatants.

I hope you meant UNintentionally and not "intentionally." Any army that intentionally tries to hit civilians would be guilty of war crimes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 11:50 am
Napalm bombing is "intentional."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 11:51 am
Maybe the Bush propaganda machine has another take on this atrocity.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 19 Jun, 2005 11:56 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
McTag wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
McTag wrote:
Definition: A terrorist is a man with a bomb, but no airforce.

Nonsense. A terrorist is a man who preferentially attacks non-combatants as the primary, intended target. That's why we're not terrorists, but many of our adversaries are.

I tell you what, Brandon. If I'm sleeping at home, and there are maybe some dubious militant types in our village, or maybe in a village nearby, who knows how the information gets out and how reliable it is, and the USAF target their bombs on me, or even in my general area to make sure, then I'm going to be terrified. Really scared witless. These big bombs have a a hellova bang, man. Terrifying.

Ridiculous is not a word I would choose in this context. Scores of non-combatant civilians are killed by your and my forces, no it's not ridiculous. It is a tragedy, and a crime.

Intent, you say. If you perform an air strike knowing there will be collateral loss, that is intent. Intent to commit murder.
0 Replies

Atkins

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 10:29 am
What else is new?
0 Replies

Atkins

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 10:29 am
What else is new?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 12:59 pm
"Mr Ingram said 30 MK77 firebombs were used by the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force in the invasion of Iraq between 31 March and 2 April 2003. They were used against military targets "away from civilian targets", he said. This avoids breaching the 1980 Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons (CCW), which permits their use only against military targets"

According to the article, they were used against military targets. What's your problem???

Maybe we should use rubber bullets???? No..better yet, let's use feathers.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 01:29 pm
.50 caliber pillows perhaps?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 01:35 pm
McGentrix wrote:
.50 caliber pillows perhaps?

That's right. Lest we forget we NEED to win the hearts and minds of the MUSLIM people.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 01:46 pm
woiyo wrote:
"Mr Ingram said 30 MK77 firebombs were used by the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force in the invasion of Iraq between 31 March and 2 April 2003. They were used against military targets "away from civilian targets", he said. This avoids breaching the 1980 Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons (CCW), which permits their use only against military targets"

According to the article, they were used against military targets. What's your problem???

The problem is that the govt LIED about its use. It is part of an ongoing pattern. When asked if used, the military very specifically DENIED it was ever used.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 01:57 pm
woiyo wrote:

This means, that in certain cases, (and only with non-flam weapons of course), civilians-only will be targeted?

I'm sure this wasn't made clear when the "War on Terror" was announced.
Sorry, the Great Democratic War.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 02:32 pm
I do a fair amount of work in what is called contract or salvage archaeology. There is a rule of thumb. Youn can discuss and come to an agreement with all the project engineers and managers, but the guy who makes the final discission is the bulldozer operator. It may well be that the discisson to not use napalm was made at the management (Pentagon, theater command) but was circumvented at the operational (combat) level. In this case the denials by the US government would be understandable if still not acceptable. They are supposed to know what is going on.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 07:41 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
I do a fair amount of work in what is called contract or salvage archaeology. There is a rule of thumb. Youn can discuss and come to an agreement with all the project engineers and managers, but the guy who makes the final discission is the bulldozer operator. It may well be that the discisson to not use napalm was made at the management (Pentagon, theater command) but was circumvented at the operational (combat) level. In this case the denials by the US government would be understandable if still not acceptable. They are supposed to know what is going on.

Not quite the same thing since the specific weapon has to be pulled from storage and mounted. It isn't a case of the weapon is always on every plane. The decision was not from one person flying a plane. It was an order to specifically load that weapon for a specific target. Its not like they were flying thousands of attack sorties a day and the theater command didn't have a direct say in every target chosen for a given day. This was not a target of opportunity based on the weapons available. It was targetted and the weapon was chosen to use against it.

The bulldozer driver might do the driving but he didn't make the decision to load it up and truck it to the site for the express purpose of which it was used. If subordinates had loaded the wrong weapon or targetted the wrong site there would have been consequences. The pentagon might not have been aware but theater command sure would have.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 20 Jun, 2005 07:45 pm
Acq, Your analogy with the bulldozer driver stinks. parados has it closer to the reality of how munitions are used in warfare. If the US had directives not to use napalm, they wouldn't be available in Iraq.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 21 Jun, 2005 06:10 am
parados wrote:
woiyo wrote:

The problem is that the govt LIED about its use. It is part of an ongoing pattern. When asked if used, the military very specifically DENIED it was ever used.

What problem do you have with the words "USED AGAINST MILITARY TARGETS"???
0 Replies