The Democrats Gloat Thread

nimh

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 07:16 am
EDITED

mysteryman wrote:
I dont know why they waited,you have to ask them.

Really, you have no idea, no inkling? No opinion about this at all?

mysteryman wrote:
Interesting how the dems dont want the rules to apply to themselves,isnt it.

OK, Mysteryman - look what a fact-check on this turned up on another thread (Soz's and Thomas's posts below).

The whole charge you suggest here, apparently, turned out bogus in the end - the Dems did not block legislation on prohibiting the employment of family members. In fact, the minority opposing such legislation consisted mostly of Republicans.

sozobe wrote:
OK, so, 11 Democrats voted "nay." [..]

The total vote was 54 yea, 41 nay.

Here's the text:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?r110:1:./temp/~r110FS9Vjz:e91453:

Thomas wrote:
[..] the relevant part of the text is pretty short
    ``SEC. 325. PROHIBITION ON EMPLOYMENT OF FAMILY MEMBERS OF A CANDIDATE OR FEDERAL OFFICE HOLDER BY CERTAIN POLITICAL COMMITTEES. ``(a) In General.--It shall be unlawful for any authorized committee of a candidate or any other political committee established, maintained, or controlled by a candidate or a person who holds a Federal office to employ-- ``(1) the spouse of such candidate or Federal office holder; or ``(2) any immediate family member of such candidate or Federal office holder. ``(b) Immediate Family Member.--For purposes of subsection (a), the term `immediate family member' means a son, daughter, stepson, stepdaughter, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, mother, father, stepmother, stepfather, mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother, sister, stepbrother, or stepsister of the Member.''. (b) Effective Date.--The amendment made by this section shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this Act.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 07:39 am
You're welcome nimh. Smile

And just for completeness, here is the full record of the roll call vote.

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=110&session=1&vote=00003

What is your comment, mysteryman, on the fact that a majority of Repbublicans opposed the measure?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 07:48 am
Nimh asked,

Quote:
Really, you have no idea, no inkling? No opinion about this at all?

Yes,I have an opinion about it,but that isnt what you asked.
You asked if I KNOW why the repubs waited,and no,I dont KNOW.
You need to ask them why theyt waited,I wasnt privy to the discussion,so I have no idea what their rational was.

The article I linked to was posted in TODAYS USAToday,so I didnt know there was a thread going already about it.

If its old news,take that up with USAToday on-line.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 07:51 am

Wrong link - should be this:

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=110&session=1&vote=00004
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 07:54 am
Thanks for the correction, nimh!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 07:55 am
mysteryman wrote:
Yes,I have an opinion about it,but that isnt what you asked.
You asked if I KNOW why the repubs waited,and no,I dont KNOW.
You need to ask them why theyt waited,I wasnt privy to the discussion,so I have no idea what their rational was.

Oh come on. I didnt ask if you KNEW rather than just thought something about it, I asked simply: "Why in hell's name have Vitter and Coburn waited six full years until right the first moment when they dont have a majority anymore, to make these proposals?" So, why? What is your opinion, considering that you just said you do actually have one? You're not normally so shy in expressing your opinion.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 07:57 am
Mysteryman, while you're answering nimh's question, will you answer mine too? Just to remind you, here is the question again: "What is your comment, mysteryman, on the fact that a majority of Repbublicans opposed the measure?"
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:02 am
Thomas wrote:
Mysteryman, while you're answering nimh's question, will you answer mine too? Just to remind you, here is the question again: "What is your comment, mysteryman, on the fact that a majority of Repbublicans opposed the measure?"

Possibly for the same reason I would have opposed the measure.
I see nothing wrong with hiring family members,as long as they are qualified to do the job.

I also have no problem with Congressmen or women being married to lobbyists.
Its not the job of a congressperson to decide how or where a person,even a spouse,works as long as the job is a legal one.

Nimh,My OPINION as to why the repubs waited to bring it up is simple.

The dems claimed to be the more ethical party,so the repubs wanted to prove them wrong.
BUT,that is my opinion only.
You need to ask them to find out their reasons.
Like I said,I wasnt privy to the discussions.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:09 am
mysteryman wrote:
Possibly for the same reason I would have opposed the measure. I see nothing wrong with hiring family members,as long as they are qualified to do the job.

I see. Can I assume, then, that you consider it a good thing that some Dems (Reid, Obama, ...) opposed the measure? At first it almost seemed as if you criticized them for it.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:12 am
Thomas wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Possibly for the same reason I would have opposed the measure. I see nothing wrong with hiring family members,as long as they are qualified to do the job.

I see. Can I assume, then, that you consider it a good thing that some Dems (Reid, Obama, ...) opposed the measure? At first it almost seemed as if you criticized them for it.

I am not criticizing them for opposing the measure so much as I am for the stand that they were gonna be the "most ethical congress in years",but then voted against an ethics reform package.
Yes,I would have voted against it,and I am glad they did,but that vote contradicts their public stance supporting ethics reform.
They either want total reform or none at all,there is no middle ground.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:21 am
mysteryman wrote:
I am not criticizing them for opposing the measure so much as I am for the stand that they were gonna be the "most ethical congress in years",but then voted against an ethics reform package.

Fair enough. In the meantime, we established that although some Democrats voted against the ethics reform package, the majority of Demcrats voted for it. If the "they" in your sentence refers to Democrats collectively, you were simply mistaken about the facts. Given that, does this mean you aren't criticizing "them" (the Democrats collectively) anymore on this point?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:28 am
Thomas wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Fair enough. In the meantime, we established that although some Democrats voted against the ethics reform package, the majority of Demcrats voted for it. If the "they" in your sentence refers to Democrats collectively, you were simply mistaken about the facts. Given that, does this mean you aren't criticizing "them" (the Democrats collectively) anymore on this point?

Since I was going solely on the article the USAToday had online,then yes,I was wrong and will retract my criticism,on this one issue.

However,if they vote against another ethics reform package,especially one that will affect them,then I reserve the right to criticize them for it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:42 am
Thomas wrote:

No problem, but there might be more to come. This discussion might take an interesting turn.

I mean, right now we're pondering the question of Mysteryman's unexpected reticence in expressing his opinion about why Vitter and Coburn waited with their proposals until the first moment they no longer had a majority to pass them. That question stands, in any case.

Back to the actual amendment again, though, the more I look into it, the more confusing it becomes. But it looks like on that original count, Mysteryman may actually have been right after all.

The USA Today article of Jan. 17 that Mysteryman posted has a clear take on what happened:

Quote:
A proposal by Sen. David Vitter, R-La., that would ban senators' spouses from lobbying the chamber has [..] failed to clear a legislative hurdle Wednesday when it did not get the 65 votes needed to advance it.

The Hill article of Jan. 17 that McGentrix posted in the Obama thread ("Obama's first blunder") has an equally clear - but completely opposite take:

Quote:
Presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama made his first misstep a few days ago when he joined only a handful of Democrats in opposing a Senate reform banning the increasingly widespread practice of legislators hiring their family members on their campaign or PAC payrolls. [..] Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, who opposes wives cashing in on their husbands' positions, voted righteously in favor of the reform [..]

Obama's inexplicable pro-nepotism vote may have been cast in sympathy with Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. [..] But whatever the reason for his vote, Obama has screwed up.

Any payment from campaign money to a spouse is, in fact, an appropriation of campaign funds by the member of Congress for his own personal use, however camouflaged or disguised. The Senate was right to ban the practice and the House should follow suit.

So what up? Did the Vitter amendment about banning legislators from hiring their family members on their campaign or PAC payrolls pass, or fail to be advanced?

I am no expert on these things, but I think the USA Today article and Mysteryman are actually right - and the Hill article that McGentrix posted has it ass upside down. In what would be quite a spectacular way.

The only vote on a Vitter amendment to ban the practice is the one you linked in, Thomas: the Motion to Table Vitter Amdt. No. 6. 54 Senators voted to table it, 41 voted "Nay".

Most Democrats voted to table it, most Republicans voted "nay" - this GovTrack page has a lovely little insightful map (looks like a very useful site).

The question is then just what it actually means to "table" an amendment. A clue is in the voting roll. Those who voted "yea" included not just Hillary, but also Reid and Feinstein, mentioned in the USA Today article as likely to oppose the amendment. Obama, but also Vitter himself, however, voted "Nay".

The GovTrack website provides what seems the crucial bit of information here (Senate Roll Call Vote #3):

Quote:
The Motion to Table is used to kill a legislative matter. An Aye vote in favor of the motion is a vote against the bill or amendment.

Wowza.

So what that means, if I understand correctly - unless there has by now been a new vote that neither the US Senate website nor GovTrack or that of the Library of Congress have posted info on yet - is:

• The Hill article is wrong: the Senate did not in fact ban the practice of Senators employing spouses and relatives as lobbyists or campaigners.

• USA Today is right: instead, the amendment has for now failed to advance.

• Mysteryman is right: most of the Democrats have voted to kill the Vitter bill, for now. Most of the Republicans voted to proceed with the amendment.

(Which is where one sceptically wonders why they suddenly want to now, when throughout the time they were in power, they refused to propose such a thing).

• Here it gets interesting: if I understand this correctly, the whole premise of the anti-Obama Hill article then is one big cock-up. After all, Obama then actually voted in favour of the amendment by voting against "tabling" it - whereas Hillary voted to kick it in the long grass by voting for "tabling" it.
Here's a clue: the Hill article was written by Dick Morris. Former Clinton operative, if memory serves me well.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 08:49 am
mysteryman wrote:
Thomas wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Since I was going solely on the article the USAToday had online,then yes,I was wrong and will retract my criticism,on this one issue.

However,if they vote against another ethics reform package,especially one that will affect them,then I reserve the right to criticize them for it.

That's fair. Thanks for your candor.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 09:15 am
nimh wrote:
OK, Mysteryman - look what a fact-check on this turned up on another thread [..].

The whole charge you suggest here, apparently, turned out bogus in the end - the Dems did not block legislation on prohibiting the employment of family members.

OK, assuming I've got things right this time round, I was wrong when writing the above, and I apologise to Mysteryman for yelling at him on the basis of wrong information.

mysteryman wrote:
Nimh,My OPINION as to why the repubs waited to bring it up is simple.

The dems claimed to be the more ethical party,so the repubs wanted to prove them wrong.
BUT,that is my opinion only.

I agree. I dont think that the Repubs, on the whole, particularly want these reform measures they are now proposing to succeed - if they did, they would have brought them up when they had a majority. I agree that they bring them now only because they want to show the Dems up.

(Merging two posts by Mysteryman for convenience)
mysteryman wrote:
I would have opposed the measure. I see nothing wrong with hiring family members,as long as they are qualified to do the job.

I also have no problem with Congressmen or women being married to lobbyists. Its not the job of a congressperson to decide how or where a person,even a spouse,works as long as the job is a legal one.

I am not criticizing the [Democrats] for opposing the measure so much as I am for the stand that they were gonna be the "most ethical congress in years",but then voted against an ethics reform package.

Yes,I would have voted against it,and I am glad they did,but that vote contradicts their public stance supporting ethics reform.

OK, that makes sense - I disagree with your position, but its consistent. You oppose the ethics reform amendments in question yourself too, so the problem you have with the (majority of the) Dems is not that they opposed them, but that they are hypocritical, having campaigned on ethics reform only to now abandon it when it affects them personally.

I disagree with you about the amendments themselves, but thats a clear cut case. I support Republican Senator Vitter's amendment and the majority of Republican Senators who, like Obama, appear to have voted against blocking it; and I disagree with Hillary and the majority of other Democratic Senators who appear to have voted to block it. You agree with the majority Dems on the issue of the amendments themselves, and disagree with Vitter, Obama and the majority of the Republicans. Its an interesting reversal of roles, but an honest disagreement.

The hypocrisy case, though, I think you are not fair about. You write that the Democrats "were gonna be the 'most ethical congress in years',but then voted against an ethics reform package". This is simply not true. It's the Democrats who have proposed the ethics reform package (the Ethics Reform bill), and are still pushing it through Congress. They have only voted against one, specific amendment - one out of many amendments that have been proposed to the Ethics Reform bill as a whole.

You are right, IMO, that their vote on this specific amendment "contradicts their public stance supporting ethics reform". But that doesnt mean that the whole ethics reform package is suddenly out of the window, worthless null or void. They have simply cast a (wrong) vote against one, specific amendment. And (if I have it right,) its not even a vote that threw out the amendment, period - only one to postpone dealing with it. Basically, it means that there will now be negotiations behind the scenes, and eventually the amendment may well resurface in a revised compromise form.

Basically, I think the underlying problem with your perspective is where you write:

mysteryman wrote:
They either want total reform or none at all,there is no middle ground.

Why would there be no "middle ground"?

"Total reform" is never going to happen, and demanding it is a way to set people up. But if the Dems push through incremental reform, thats still a lot better than "none at all", and a marked improvement on the ethics of the previous, Republican-controlled Congress. They will still have delivered on their promise to reform and improve Congressional ethics.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 09:17 am
nimh wrote:
The Hill article of Jan. 17 that McGentrix posted in the Obama thread ("Obama's first blunder") has an equally clear - but completely opposite take:

I have an idea where this comes from. According to Webster (linking seems no longer possible) "to table" as a transitive verb means "to put on the agenda in British English and "to remove from the agenda" in American English. The exact opposite.

nimh wrote:
So what that means, if I understand correctly - unless there has by now been a new vote that neither the US Senate website nor GovTrack or that of the Library of Congress have posted info on yet - is:

• The Hill article is wrong: the Senate did not in fact ban the practice of Senators employing spouses and relatives as lobbyists or campaigners.

• Mysteryman is right: most of the Democrats have voted to kill the Vitter bill, for now. Most of the Republicans voted to proceed with the amendment.

Having re-checked, I think you're right.

nimh wrote:
  • Here it gets interesting: if I understand this correctly, the whole premise of the anti-Obama Hill article then is one big cock-up. After all, Obama then actually voted in favour of the amendment by voting against "tabling" it - whereas Hillary voted to kick it in the long grass by voting for "tabling" it.
Here's a clue: the Hill article was written by Dick Morris. Former Clinton operative, if memory serves me well.

You're right, but Wikipedia says they had a falling out, and Norris published a very unflattering book in rebuttal of Hillary Clinton's.
Wikipedia wrote:
More recently, Morris has emerged as a harsh critic of the Clintons and has written several books that criticize them, including Rewriting History, a rebuttal to Senator Hillary Clinton's Living History. Morris has stated he will leave the United States if Hillary Clinton were to be elected president in 2008.

Doesn't seem like a Hillary Clinton shill to me. But he may well have fun sowing a little discord among Democrats.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 09:21 am
mysteryman wrote:
I just find it interesting that the dems are fighting it,when they ran on a platform of reforming the ethics laws and being ethical.

Since you now turn out to be right about this, mysteryman, and I turn out to be mistaken, I apologize if I got too rough on you about it. Sorry.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 09:21 am
nimh wrote:
Thomas wrote:

No problem, but there might be more to come. This discussion might take an interesting turn. [..]

Back to the actual amendment [..], the more I look into it, the more confusing it becomes. [..]

The USA Today article of Jan. 17 that Mysteryman posted [on the Democrats gloating thread] has a clear take on what happened:

Quote:
A proposal by Sen. David Vitter, R-La., that would ban senators' spouses from lobbying the chamber has [..] failed to clear a legislative hurdle Wednesday when it did not get the 65 votes needed to advance it.

The Hill article of Jan. 17 that McGentrix posted [here] ("Obama's first blunder") has an equally clear - but completely opposite take:

Quote:
Presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama made his first misstep a few days ago when he joined only a handful of Democrats in opposing a Senate reform banning the increasingly widespread practice of legislators hiring their family members on their campaign or PAC payrolls. [..] Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, who opposes wives cashing in on their husbands' positions, voted righteously in favor of the reform [..]

Obama's inexplicable pro-nepotism vote may have been cast in sympathy with Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. [..] But whatever the reason for his vote, Obama has screwed up.

Any payment from campaign money to a spouse is, in fact, an appropriation of campaign funds by the member of Congress for his own personal use, however camouflaged or disguised. The Senate was right to ban the practice and the House should follow suit.

So what up? Did the Vitter amendment about banning legislators from hiring their family members on their campaign or PAC payrolls pass, or fail to be advanced?

I am no expert on these things, but I think the USA Today article and Mysteryman are actually right - and the Hill article that McGentrix posted has it ass upside down. In what would be quite a spectacular way.

The only vote on a Vitter amendment to ban the practice is the one you linked in, Thomas: the Motion to Table Vitter Amdt. No. 6. 54 Senators voted to table it, 41 voted "Nay".

Most Democrats voted to table it, most Republicans voted "nay" - this GovTrack page has a lovely little insightful map (looks like a very useful site).

The question is then just what it actually means to "table" an amendment. A clue is in the voting roll. Those who voted "yea" included not just Hillary, but also Reid and Feinstein, mentioned in the USA Today article as likely to oppose the amendment. Obama, but also Vitter himself, however, voted "Nay".

The GovTrack website provides what seems the crucial bit of information here (Senate Roll Call Vote #3):

Quote:
The Motion to Table is used to kill a legislative matter. An Aye vote in favor of the motion is a vote against the bill or amendment.

Wowza.

(Which is where one sceptically wonders why they suddenly want to now, when throughout the time they were in power, they refused to propose such a thing).

0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 09:58 am
OK,now I'm confused (no cracks about that).
Was I right in what I initially reported before I got jumped on about what I said,or was I wrong?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 18 Jan, 2007 10:11 am
mysteryman wrote:
OK,now I'm confused (no cracks about that).
Was I right in what I initially reported before I got jumped on about what I said,or was I wrong?

About (most of) the Dems having voted against the amendment to ban Senators from hiring family as lobbyists?

You were right. Hence the apologies Embarrassed

They didnt reject it outright, but they kicked it into the long grass, while most Republicans voted to bring it on.
0 Replies