The Democrats Gloat Thread

ebrown p

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 10:27 am
Not wanting to derail the thread, or ruin a good gloat, I just started a new Hillary is Poison thread.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 10:23 am
Quote:
June 22, 2005
Severe Drop for Schwarzenegger in California Polling Data

Do you approve or disapprove of the way Arnold Schwarzenegger is handling his job as governor of California?

Approve
37% - Jun. 2005
54% - Feb. 2005
65% - May 2004

Disapprove
53% - Jun. 2005
35% - Feb. 2005
23% - May 2004

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 04:52 pm
Interesting, nimh.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 06:06 pm
hopefully, he won't be bawk.

he really hasn't done much. except roam the east coast doing fund raisers for the rnc, that is.
0 Replies

coachryan

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 07:25 pm
LOL

Are you kidding!?
Schwarzenegger is shining compared to this guy! Laughing

Quote:
Here Are The Results of SurveyUSA News Poll #5592

Geography Surveyed: Ohio
Data Collected: 05/06/2005 - 05/08/2005
Release Date: 05/10/2005 10:13 AM ET
Sponsoring News Organization: SurveyUSA

1 Asked of 600 Adults
Margin of Sampling Error for this question = ± 3.6%

Do you approve or disapprove of the job Bob Taft is doing as governor?

19% Approve
74% Disapprove
7% Not Sure

source
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 08:32 am
I knew it was too soon to gloat. The whitehouse is bringing out their heaviest weapons in one swipe. Karl Rove said that democrats want to deal with the ones guilty of 9/11 with therapy and understanding. The two weapons being Karl Rove and 9/11. I guess Karl Rove don't trust George Bush to do the talking for him anymore.

This guy is smart he is reminding the country (as though we have forgotten) of 9/11 and to imply that the stories coming out about our prisons are just the product of the liberal mind set of wanting to deal with terrorist with therapy.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0506240154jun24,1,868023.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed

I don't know how they get their gall when all of congress and almost the whole US including liberal democrats was behind Bush after 9/11 and was for the war in Afghanistan.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 10:01 am
coachryan wrote:
LOL

Are you kidding!?
Schwarzenegger is shining compared to this guy! Laughing

Quote:
Here Are The Results of SurveyUSA News Poll #5592

Geography Surveyed: Ohio
Data Collected: 05/06/2005 - 05/08/2005
Release Date: 05/10/2005 10:13 AM ET
Sponsoring News Organization: SurveyUSA

1 Asked of 600 Adults
Margin of Sampling Error for this question = ± 3.6%

Do you approve or disapprove of the job Bob Taft is doing as governor?

19% Approve
74% Disapprove
7% Not Sure

source

hah! clearly the people of ohio are out of touch with the mainstream...
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 10:35 am
revel wrote:
I knew it was too soon to gloat. The whitehouse is bringing out their heaviest weapons in one swipe. Karl Rove said that democrats want to deal with the ones guilty of 9/11 with therapy and understanding. The two weapons being Karl Rove and 9/11. I guess Karl Rove don't trust George Bush to do the talking for him anymore.

This guy is smart he is reminding the country (as though we have forgotten) of 9/11 and to imply that the stories coming out about our prisons are just the product of the liberal mind set of wanting to deal with terrorist with therapy.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0506240154jun24,1,868023.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed

I don't know how they get their gall when all of congress and almost the whole US including liberal democrats was behind Bush after 9/11 and was for the war in Afghanistan.

The Republicans have simply realized the sad fact that Americans have very short memories; they know that Americans are more prone to listen to sound bites than remember history (this was how they were able to paint their puppet as a hero while painting a bona fide war hero as a coward and a traitor).
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 24 Jun, 2005 10:59 am
revel wrote:

howdy briar. that's really all they've got.

"the liberals this, the liberals that."

"nine - eleven"

"he/she/they are just mad at republicans because he/she/they didn't get the job." (which i heard him say in an interview yesterday. that's also the standard response they've used about o'neill, clark, deep throat, kerry and even, incredibly, the iraqi insurgency.)

and the new battle cry over the last few days, "the radical extremists of MOVEON DOT ORGGGGG."

they are really pulling out all the stops.

why ? because their trip is crumbling. they can talk and talk and try to distract from reality, but the smoke is fading and the mirrors are cracked. even conservatives with anything on their mind other than religious issues and party politics see that these guys are in way over their heads.

but, true to their individual biographies, most of the rove/cheney/bush brain trust continue to beat their chests and chant about war while sending someone else to do the actual knife work.

i respect the folks who go do the fighting and i respect the people who say "nope. not gonna do that". they stick to their beliefs.

but chickenhawks like dick "i had other priorities" cheney, george " i defended texas against vietcong agression" bush and karl "(vietnam) is a political skirmish that (is) not being properly administered. gimme my deferment" rove make me sick.

you'll love this, revel. last night i watched an interview where there was a guy complaining how "the liberal media" only reports the bad stuff about iraq and never talks about the good. he was asked about what good things he could point to. his reply?

"phone subscriptions have quadrupled. there's ten times more people using the internet". unbelievable...

1700+ dead, 13,000 seriously wounded and over 200 billion in supplimental spending so that iraqis can have a cell phone and surf the net. dialing and double-clicking away with those blue dyed fingers.

no wmd. no osama. no responsibility.

yep. that looks to be the bush legacy.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 09:49 am
I think the numbers are justifiable cause for some gloating, so I'm gonna add a link here:

Ranking US Senators - specifically, those up for reelection
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 05:51 am
Quote:
August 23, 2005
Bush Approval at All-Time Low in U.S.

(Angus Reid Global Scan) - George W. Bush is losing public backing in the United States, according to a poll by American Research Group. 36 per cent of respondents approve of their president's performance, down six points since July.

The approval rating registered by Bush this month is the lowest of his tenure in an American Research Group survey. The American president had his best showing in January 2005 with 51 per cent.

[..] 33 per cent of respondents approve of the way Bush is handling the economy, down five points in a month.

Polling Data

Do you approve or disapprove of the way George W. Bush is handling his job as president?

Approve
Aug. 2005 36%
Jul. 2005 42%
Jun. 2005 42%

Disapprove
Aug. 2005 58%
Jul. 2005 52%
Jun. 2005 53%

Do you approve or disapprove of the way George W. Bush is handling the economy?

Approve
Aug. 2005 33%
Jul. 2005 38%
Jun. 2005 37%

Disapprove
Aug. 2005 62%
Jul. 2005 54%
Jun. 2005 59%

Source: American Research Group
Methodology: Telephone interviews to 1,100 American adults, conducted from Aug. 18 to Aug. 21, 2005. Margin of error is 2.6 per cent.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 07:32 am
We're shakin' with fear, nimh Smile
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 07:36 am
JustWonders wrote:
We're shakin' with fear, nimh Smile

I like the we thing there JW, as if you actually believe you're on the team or something.

You aren't **** to the GOP anymore than I am **** to the Dems. You're a vote to be had, and other than that you can live or die, ones as goos as another.

Don't make the mistake of thinking you're on someones team honey.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 07:48 am
How about the Congress Elections of 06? Have the bookmakers offered any odds yet? Any polls? Anything?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 07:52 am
I think it unlikely that the complexion of the House will change much. Maybe the Senate, although i don't consider it much more likely. The people have often showed an inclination to vote opposing parties into the Houses, and to vote an opposition party into power in reference to the Administration. But it's important to keep in mind that incumbents have enormous advantages, and that corporate sponsors are going to be spending heavily to assure that the Congress does not materially change.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:22 am
Thomas wrote:
How about the Congress Elections of 06? Have the bookmakers offered any odds yet? Any polls? Anything?

The Washington Times has summarized some of the points made by Michael Barone in his Almanac of American Politics which, although not an absolute answer to your question regarding polls or bookmakers' odds, ties in with some analysis of the '06 election and beyond.

Quote:
Dating to Ronald Reagan's 1980 election to the presidency, political essayist Michael Barone has been writing arguably the most trenchant, thought-provoking analyses of American electoral politics. Appearing in the introductory section of the biennial Almanac of American Politics, which he has compiled for more than three decades, Mr. Barone's essays review the just-concluded elections and offer insight into their likely impact on the nation's future political situation.

In the widely anticipated 2006 edition of the almanac, which has recently arrived at bookstores, Mr. Barone's analysis has managed to exceed the very high expectations that preceded it. In his introductory essay, "American Politics in The Networking Era," Mr. Barone argues that today's America reflects "a post-industrial, Information Age nation characterized by decentralization and network-connected organizations." Finally catching up with these trends, the 2004 campaign "produced a different kind of politics, a politics that reflects the character of the post-industrial, networking age we live in."

In the public interest, the editorial page of The Washington Times is pleased to disseminate the highlights of Mr. Barone's essay, which, we emphasize, deserves to be read in its entirety:

• While both the Bush and Kerry campaigns concentrated on turning out the maximum number of the party faithful, the Bush campaign "created an organization unlike any seen before, a networking organization that far surpassed what the Democrats were doing." During the fall of 2003, for example, the news media marveled at Democratic presidential candidate Howard Dean's list of 600,000 e-mail addresses. Virtually unreported, however, was the fact that the Bush campaign had collected six million e-mail addresses. For the general election campaign, compared to the 233,000 volunteers assembled by the Democratic National Committee, the Bush campaign recruited six times as many, or an unprecedented 1.4 million. Thus, the Democratic turnout effort mostly "depended on paid workers persuading strangers to get out and vote." The 1.4 million GOP volunteers, however, were deployed through sophisticated networks that enabled them to use tailored messages in their contacts with prospective voters who had much in common with themselves. Boy Scout leaders, for example, were dispatched to contact other Boy Scout volunteers.

• Contrary to conventional wisdom, which held that Democrats would benefit from a very high turnout in 2004, President Bush won an election that included a historic increase in turnout. Not only did total turnout increase by 16 percent in 2004, but turnout as a percentage of eligible voters soared from 51 percent to 61 percent. Even though John Kerry received eight million more votes in 2004 than Al Gore got in 2000, Mr. Kerry's 59-million total, which was the second-highest in history, still fell three million short of Mr. Bush's all-time record of 62 million votes, which represented a stunning 23 percent increase over 2000.

• Excluding the 1916-1928 period, when women entered the electorate in large numbers, turnout during the 110 years preceding 2004 increased by more than 14 percent only four times: 1896, 1936, 1952 and 1992. Both the 1896 election, when Republican William McKinley won the presidency, and the 1936 election, when President Roosevelt won re-election in a landslide, led to national majorities that lasted more than 30 years. Noting that President Eisenhower apparently had no inclination to build a lasting GOP majority and observing (no fewer than three times) that Bill Clinton "failed" to build a lasting coalition after his 1992 triumph, Mr. Barone reveals that President Bush's 23 percent vote increase in 2004 approximated the 22 percent vote increase achieved by Roosevelt in 1936. While the Bush 51 percent majority in 2004 was much smaller than Roosevelt's 61 percent in 1936, the results of the intervening midterm congressional elections were similar. Prior to the Republican successes in 2002, Mr. Barone reports, "[n]o incumbent president's party had increased its number of seats in both houses [of Congress] in an off-year election since Roosevelt's Democratic Party in 1934."

• Recalling that his post-2000 commentary described America as "the 49-percent nation," evenly split between the two parties, Mr. Barone today concludes that "America is now, perhaps momentarily, or perhaps at the beginning of a long period, a 51-percent nation, a majority -- a narrow majority -- Republican nation." Exit polling last year revealed party identification at 37 percent for both Republicans and Democrats, making 2004 "the first election in which Republicans achieved parity in party identification since the invention of random-sampling polling in the 1930s."
• In the safe Bush states (213 electoral votes) and the safe Kerry states (179 electoral votes), a similar pattern prevailed. In both sets of states, Mr. Bush increased his vote share by more than Mr. Kerry did, prompting Mr. Barone to observe: "The 2004 results showed the red states getting redder and the blue states getting less blue."
• Religion once again proved to be one of the demographic variables correlating most directly with voter behavior. Mr. Bush received 78 percent of the vote of white evangelical Protestants, who comprised 23 percent of the electorate. Raising his share by 5 percentage points, the president managed to capture 52 percent of the Catholic vote "against the first Catholic nominee since 1960."

• Mr. Bush also benefited from a huge "marriage gap -- a gap that is far wider than the oft-touted gender gap." Married people, who comprised 63 percent of the electorate, voted 57-42 for Mr. Bush.
• Conventional wisdom held that Republicans would raise much more money than Democrats, but that, too, was disproved. The Kerry campaign, the DNC and the Democratic 527 organizations spent $344 million on ads during the campaign. That was more than $55 million above what the pro-Bush forces spent. George Soros and the other wealthy contributors who were so instrumental in funding the Democratic 527s underwrote a TV campaign that "seethed with Bush hatred." According to post-election surveys, however, the TV assault turned out not to be very persuasive overall. While the anti-Bush ads did connect with the Bush haters, "[a]n enduring problem for the Democratic Party," Mr. Barone observed, could be the fact that "George W. Bush will not be on the ballot again."
• Mr. Kerry won a 6.5-million majority in the 100 largest counties. More than 6 million of that majority was achieved in the 48 largest counties that had lost population since 2000 or grew by less than 3 percent. Democrats may not be able to increase their turnout by much in slow-growth or population-losing counties. Outside the 100 largest counties, Mr. Kerry lost by nearly 10 million votes. In addition, Mr. Bush won majorities in 97 of the nation's 100 fastest-growing counties, where he achieved a popular-vote margin of 1.8 million, which was more than half of his national vote margin. This 1.8-million margin, while not as large as the one Mr. Kerry achieved in the 100 largest counties, is nonetheless "likely to increase over time, and can easily be increased even more by the kind of organizational effort mounted by the Bush campaign in 2004," Mr. Barone argues.

• In a Senate controlled by a 55-seat GOP majority, there are nine Republicans from among the 19 states won by Mr. Kerry and 16 Democrats among the 31 states won by Mr. Bush. Mr. Barone reveals that in states where their party's nominee received less than 47 percent of the vote, there are 11 Democratic senators and only three Republicans. On the House side, where Republicans control 232 (53 percent) of the chamber's 435 seats, Mr. Bush carried 255 districts (59 percent) compared to Mr. Kerry's 180. Because the Voting Rights Act, by concentrating the minority vote, "tends to elect more blacks and Hispanics and less Democrats," Mr. Kerry won more than 80 percent of the vote in 20 districts, whereas Mr. Bush never achieved such a margin in a single one. A lot of Kerry votes in those minority-reserved districts "could have been put to work electing Democrats in adjacent districts; but thanks to the Voting Rights Act, they were not available for such duty," Mr. Barone noted. "In the long run," he concludes, "Republicans are well positioned to increase their numbers in both Senate and House."

Source
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:44 am
Setanta wrote:
But it's important to keep in mind that incumbents have enormous advantages, and that corporate sponsors are going to be spending heavily to assure that the Congress does not materially change.

... plus McCain/Feingold, which was intended to reduce the influence of big spenders, has in practice increased the advantage of being an incumbent -- by making it hard for opponents to outspend the incumbents they're running against. I'm afraid I agree with your prediction, though one can always hope, can't one?

Just Wonders wrote:
The Washington Times has summarized some of the points made by Michael Barone in his Almanac of American Politics which, although not an absolute answer to your question regarding polls or bookmakers' odds, ties in with some analysis of the '06 election and beyond.

I always take the Washington Times' reporting with several spoonfuls of salt, especially when it predicts victory for the Republicans. But it's an interesting article, thanks for posting!
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:59 am
Thomas - the Democrats outspent the Republicans in the '04 election and still lost.

Interestingly enough (in light of your remark about the Times analysis), I read an article several months ago - by a Democrat - on why they'll continue to lose.

Had to do with demographics and the Democrats having a built-in disadvantage electorally in our system because the small states get an electoral advantage that their population does not merit.

Of course, it's my opinion that there's no way the Dems will prevail by getting the system changed (they'll never convince 3/4 of the states to vote on an amendment that would hurt all the small states), so their only recourse is to find a way to appeal to those smaller states.

If they think they're "appealing" by aligning themselves with the lunatic fringe, they couldn't be more wrong and I predict Michael Barone is right when he foresees GOP victory in '06 and well beyond.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 09:31 am
Thomas wrote:

Polls, yes. Did you see this thread?: Ranking US Senators - specifically, those up for reelection

Looks like Ohio's DeWine and Pennsylvania's Santorum (both Republican) are vulnerable enough.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 09:45 am
JustWonders wrote:
Thomas - the Democrats outspent the Republicans in the '04 election and still lost.

Maybe so -- but I was talking about incumbents and challengers, not Democrats and Republicans.

JustWonders wrote:
Had to do with demographics and the Democrats having a built-in disadvantage electorally in our system because the small states get an electoral advantage that their population does not merit.

That might be true if party programs changed slowly compared to demographics. But I believe that parties will rather change their program than suffer decades of defeat. That's why I woudn't bet high odds on the influence of Demographics on the outcome of elections.

nimh: No, I didn't see this thread. Thanks for the pointer!
0 Replies