"Spell" Has Me Concerned

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 07:36 am
This morning, I woke up with a crick in my neck. I got out of bed, went to the bathroom and stretched my neck by tilting to one side bringing my ear as close to my shoulder as comfortable (yoga). I did it for one side and then the other and started to repeat when all of the sudden everything (except for a little tunnel vision) got black and I felt like I was going to pass out. I sat down on the floor until the dizziness passed. Then I started to feel really sick, like I was going to throw up. I started pouring down sweat. I never threw up or actually passed out and after sitting on the bathroom floor for about 15 minutes, I was able to get up and finish getting ready.

What was that? Do you think I should see the doctor? Kind of scared me. Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 891 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 07:52 am
This is going to sound odd, but were you still going to the bathroom? I have heard that there is a vagal nerve reflex which causes you to pass out and can happen after extended periods of "holding" it (it more often happens when one is straining to go to the bathroom, but i have heard it can happen less regularly the other way). Just a thought. Being the worry wart that I am, I would go to doctor.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 07:54 am
dragon49 wrote:
This is going to sound odd, but were you still going to the bathroom? I have heard that there is a vagal nerve reflex which causes you to pass out and can happen after extended periods of "holding" it (it more often happens when one is straining to go to the bathroom, but i have heard it can happen less regularly the other way). Just a thought. Being the worry wart that I am, I would go to doctor.

No, I had just finished peeing.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 07:57 am
Confused

you could have popped a nerve over a ligament
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 08:17 am
and yer over 45?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 08:48 am
husker wrote:
and yer over 45?

Nope, 27.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 08:48 am
I don't remember it hurting my neck at all. But the details are somewhat fuzzy.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 08:49 am
shewolfnm wrote:
Confused

you could have popped a nerve over a ligament

I don't know but it freaked me out.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:04 am
liar.
you are over 45
;-)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:08 am
there are major nerves going up the sides of you rneck that can be 'popped'
When this happens they can cause anything from mild dizzyness to vomiting.
If you have ever had someone pinch your neck on one of those nerves, you know wich ones I am talking about.
Right next to those nerves are ligaments. The ligaments swell up from time to time and can cause pressure against the nerve sending pains allthe way down to your toes. Nothing is ever WRONG ( as in broken bones, sprains etc...) but everything hurts.
Like a knuckle, a pop is a great way to release that pressure.
Sounds to me like that is what happened.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:14 am
shewolfnm wrote:
there are major nerves going up the sides of you rneck that can be 'popped'
When this happens they can cause anything from mild dizzyness to vomiting.
If you have ever had someone pinch your neck on one of those nerves, you know wich ones I am talking about.
Right next to those nerves are ligaments. The ligaments swell up from time to time and can cause pressure against the nerve sending pains allthe way down to your toes. Nothing is ever WRONG ( as in broken bones, sprains etc...) but everything hurts.
Like a knuckle, a pop is a great way to release that pressure.
Sounds to me like that is what happened.

Oh, well that doesn't sound so bad.... nothing is permanently damaged then?
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 09:17 am
Something similar happens to me occasionally, usually when doing something strenuous. It feels like the back of my head explodes, I am weak and dizzy for a couple minutes and it passes. I thought it was me until I described it to some friends and they have had similar experiences.
Sounds like Shewolf has it on the money.
0 Replies