Most embarassing moment

KAMA

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2019 06:12 am
Hello hope I can get some advise here. I am a 55 year old male divorced living in a condo complex. Past 2 years have been rough thru divorce and other personal defeats. I try to remain optimistic. since moving in here last year I became friends with an older woman across the hall Barb shes 66 and really great and has been so helpful and understanding. My ex & I never had kids and I don't have family close by. Barb & I exchanged keys in case of emergency or to look after our condos when out of town. Yesterday after a long day at work in construction I went to shower and I got the worst leg cramps ive ever had. I get them occasionally they are terrible Charlie horses in thighs and calves but never this bad. I went down and couldnot get up I was on my back my legs locked terrible pain. I have a portable phone in the bathroom on a bench by the tub so I was able to grab it, I called Barb and she let herself in and came to my aid. I couldn't do much but hold my legs to compress the muscles trying to make them relax. Barb helped me up and out and got me covered with a large beach towel from the closet. She helped me get to sit on the sofa and the crampings went away in about 20 minutes. i ate 2 bananas and drank pickle juice I always have on hand due to this condition. She was wonderful a true good woman but I felt the most embarrassment and helpless ive ever felt. Obviously Barb not only saw me in that condition but saw also me naked. I know there was nothing I could do and covering wasn't an option until she helped me get up and out. I saw her this morning she came over to check on me and brought me Danish but I felt a wave of awkwardness and embarrassment because I know that she knows how I look like naked. I am a proud and dignified man and I feel like both a loser for her having to help me and ashamed that shes seen my privates. Shes been great she knows without saying that I am embarrassed but how do I get past her knowing how I look like naked and get back to feeling normal and comfortable around her as I did before this happened? When she was here just a while ago i felt like I wasnt even wearing jeans if that makes sense. I see Barb daily and I don't want this to ruin the friendship because of my feelings of being ashamed now around her. Am I being to sensitive and unreasonable? I just feel so awkward and embarrassed that of all people Barb had to see me naked. Please any advise would help me deal with this. Thank you!

hightor

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2019 06:49 am
You have nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about.
Quote:
I just feel so awkward and embarrassed that of all people Barb had to see me naked.

In your situation I think Barb was just about the best person to have seen you in that condition. You needed help. Your friend arrived and made you comfortable. Be thankful for having a trusted neighbor like that. Most people understand that underneath our clothing we're all naked — accidental exposure is not the sort of thing any reasonable person would hold against you.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2019 07:22 am
@KAMA,
Barb sounds like a gem.

She is a good, caring person who helped you at your most vulnerable.

In return, be there for her, however you can, whether it's to watch her house while she's away or give her a ride to the airport or whatever.

Good neighbors are so hard to find these days. You lucked out, big time.

Nothing to be ashamed or embarrassed about.
chai2

Reply Sat 12 Oct, 2019 07:53 am
@jespah,
Also, I doubt Barb took any notice of what you looked like. You're both beyond your 20's, and both of you know what a human body looks like, warts and all.

Alternatively, you can imagine what it would have been like if you didn't call her on the phone and had to lie on the floor in pain.

Agreeing with the others. Barb is a good person. It's good to know you have someone you can count on.

I'd also go to the doctor about those cramps.
0 Replies

KAMA

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2019 05:02 am
Thank you all for your replies I apreciate your honesty and advise. I do feel better now when I see Barb however still self conscious and a bit awkward. that should go away in time I hoe. Chai I dropped you a message with your input well taken! Thank you forum.
Linkat

Reply Tue 15 Oct, 2019 08:08 am
@KAMA,
KAMA wrote:

Thank you all for your replies I apreciate your honesty and advise. I do feel better now when I see Barb however still self conscious and a bit awkward. that should go away in time I hoe. Chai I dropped you a message with your input well taken! Thank you forum.

I agree with all the above but also wanted to note - that what you feel is normal.

It was an awkward situation where you had no control - although there is no reason to feel embarrassed it is understandable that you would.

Just like you said this feeling will become less and less and eventually go away. We all have had embarrassing situations and live through them - they feel uncomfortable for a while but then lessen with time until you forget about them.
KAMA

Reply Wed 16 Oct, 2019 04:57 am
@jespah,
Thank you I know your right. Im still feeling awkward when I see her but I hope in time it will pass.
0 Replies

KAMA

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2019 06:03 am
@Linkat,
Thanks Linkat I know its a normal feeling but I still have such an awkwardness around her now. Its not her its me. shes a great woman I value her as a friend. Shes older by almost 12 years and carries herself with class. We had coffee the other morning and I was still feeling embarrassed nothing she said or did its just me knowing shes seen me naked. Male pride dignity privacy I suppose? Will that eventually fade for me? I hope so.
0 Replies