We sure love obsessing over white women in distress

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 02:43 pm
"What great ones do, the less will prattle of." and every one has 15 minutes of fame.

Simple, heartwarming (or heartchilling) stories with a beginning, a middle and an ending (hopefully happy) sell media advertising.

I've noticed that most of the archtypal fables get television time long before they are featured in print.

Motto: If it bleeds, it leads.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 04:11 pm
CG, you are often amusing because of your inability to coherently express yourself in your native language. In this case, however, even though you are unable to distinguish the past participle of rape and rap, your meaning was clear. You are apparently so confused that you cannot separate the word damsel from the concept of rape. Given your moronic obsession with sex, of the character of playground giggling, that does not surprise me. That you refer to the people of the middle east as "rag heads," however, is just evidence of your ignorance and your prejudice. This time you have failed to amuse me altogether--you just disgust me. I suppose i ought to have known the day would come, sooner or later.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 10:47 pm
To cut to the chase, const' girl, we hope you will learn to look at people individually, sometime in your life, after you have grown up a bit yourself.

The east and the middle east, so-called, are just as complex as the west is, and the west is a pretty complex place. Flailing hate around in the air is of no use for anything getting any better, and, in the meantime, only makes the flailer look stupid.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 02:31 am
Does anybody remember that Jewish girl, Capitol Intern, who dated a Senator, who's body was found in the park, who supposedly went for a jog? Some speculated, that she was eaten by a lose alligator, that broke out of the zoo.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 12:37 pm
Does anyone remember "Lovely" from Abuzz?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 03:32 pm
Some people speculate that the moon is made of green cheese . . .
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 03:35 pm
I still think CG is kinda funny. Maybe she's more like Rosanne Rosannadanna than Ms. Malaprop...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 03:37 pm
Yeah, she's funny . . . when she's not being racist . . . notice that her reference to Chandra Levy remarks that she was Jewish, although that is not in the least bit à propos of the circumstances of her disappearance . . .
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 04:17 pm
True about the racism. Not funny. But I'm not as offended by CG's (which is childish) compared to what I read from some of the posters who seem to have half a brain...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 05:05 pm
There is that of course, nevertheless, one might argue that the case with CG is more crucial. She has admitted to being young, and i suspect she is younger than she admits--about 12 or 13 given the tenor of her posts. Much better that she suffer social opprobrium now for such attitudes than that it hardens into confirmed prejudice with age.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 05:14 pm
True about the age issue...
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 11:05 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Does anyone remember "Lovely" from Abuzz?

Yup. I do.

She wasn't there at the end. Though I found most of her thoughts distressing, the fact is that she had some suicide attempts.

Abuzz had some people there who were only out to provoke people. A person with that situation needed to be somewhere more supportive than Abuzz.

I sincerely hope the reason Lovely wasn't there at the end is because she had moved on, not that the last suicide attempt was successful.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 08:43 am
kelticwizard--

I left Abuzz when the trolls took over, but I hadn't seen any posts from Lovely for some time before that. She was certainly an unhappy person, but her contributions to Abuzz fell into two catagories: "Let's talk all about me-me-me" and "You people are soooo stuupid!". She was vociferously anti-gay and blindly patriotic without having put much thought into either position.

Lovely needed much more help in developing social skills and a life plan than any On Line Forum could provide. I'd like to think she found that help.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 10:18 am
I read in the paper the other day that it has been a year since Brooke Wilberger disappeared.

She fits the "damsel" idea perfectly and I do believe there was some national attention payed to the case -- but nothing like the other "damsels".

I wonder why she wasn't "damselified" like the others?

http://www.findbrooke.com/
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 10:22 am
News cycle?

I really think that's it as much as anything else. At a certain point in the news cycle -- too much depressing Iraq stuff, whatever -- they go looking. Whatever is fresh and ambiguous, they seize on.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 10:25 am
You're probably right, soz.

Anyway, if anyone clicks to the site be sure to scroll down and check the photo of the sweatshirt they are trying to find a match for. Who knows? Maybe you've got one in your closet and can help!
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 10:58 am
And now this latest tidbit on one of the damsels mentioned: http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/16/wilbanks.rights.ap/index.html It seems to show that the teaser line of this whole thread is more true than the author imagined at the time it was penned...

Quote:
'Runaway bride' inks deal with firm pitching movie
Officials who searched for her aren't amused
Thursday, June 16, 2005 Posted: 7:27 AM EDT (1127 GMT)

ATLANTA, Georgia (AP) -- "Runaway bride" Jennifer Wilbanks made a deal with a company that is pitching a movie about her life to networks -- annoying officials who spent thousands of dollars searching for her.

ReganMedia, a New York multimedia company, told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution for a story in Thursday's papers it has acquired all media rights to the "life stories" of Wilbanks and her fiance, John Mason.

The company did not say whether any money had changed hands.

"I am looking forward to developing the scripted project with Wilbanks and Mason," company president Judith Regan said in a statement. "Theirs is an unexpected and compelling story of love and forgiveness that has certainly taught me a thing or two."

The 32-year-old bride-to-be disappeared from her home in the Atlanta suburb of Duluth on April 26, four days before her wedding in a ceremony with 600 guests and 28 attendants.

She took a bus to Las Vegas and then Albuquerque, New Mexico, and claimed she was abducted and sexually assaulted. She later recanted, saying she fled because of unspecified personal issues.

Wilbanks pleaded no contest earlier this month to making a false statement and was sentenced to two years of probation and 120 hours of community service. She also was ordered to continue mental health treatment and pay the sheriff's office $2,550. (Full story)

Duluth spent nearly $43,000 to search for her. Wilbanks has repaid $13,249.

"It's disturbing to me on a personal basis that she's willing to profit from this, but there's nothing I can do about it legally," said Gwinnett County District Attorney Danny Porter, who pursued charges against Wilbanks.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 04:24 pm
Re: Still not newsworthy in my town.
engineer wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

There is quite a difference between asserting that the extensive and sensational coverage these stories tend to attract is of questionable value to the viewing public and contending that the victims are not worthy of media attention.

The disappearance of an American woman in a foreign land (particularly a place touted as an island paradise for tourists) is newsworthy. The speculation that the story would never have received similar attention if it involved a black woman or a man is just that, but even if that were to be the case, it doesn't make a story of a white woman and foul pay unnewsworthy.

I will agree that the nature of the news coverage is disagreeable and sometimes even offensive, but to somehow lay that at the doorstep of the victims being covered is misplacing the blame.

Newsworthy to who? If every disappearance is newsworthy because every victim is newsworthy, why don't we have six hours of daily coverage on them every day. This most recent case is newsworthy ... in Aruba and the woman's home town. Does it merit a mention on a half hour national news program? My take is no. As to blame, we are to blame for all of this. If it didn't sell, it wouldn't be on TV.

Newsworthy to every journalist in America (and every one in France or Japan if the woman was either French or Japanese.)

A young American woman on a HS Graduation trip to Aruba disappears and foul play is suspected - Sorry engineer, but that's news.

It may not be of a grand enough import for your sensibilities, but it is news, and in more places than Aruba and the girl's hometown.

1) It doesn't happen every day
2) It involves people with whom many Americans can relate: A young HS graduate and her family
3) It can evoke a number of different emotions in readers/viewers: sympathy, anger, fear etc.
4) It presents a mystery yet to be solved
5) People want to know more about it

That makes it newsworthy.

You seem to have a rather lofty regard for "The News."
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 06:42 pm
Terrorist deserves no respect, therefore I consider them Rag Head's!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 06:43 pm
What a typically idiotic remark.
0 Replies