We sure love obsessing over white women in distress

engineer

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 08:01 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

There is reason to question the motivation of the Media in covering these stories, but that should be possible without somehow suggesting that those whose plights do receive coverage are somehow not worthy of it.

OK, I'll say the unpopular... They are not worthy of it. These stories are not of national interest and tend to create a distorted issue of our society and the risks we face everyday. I ended up with a conversation with some guy who was convinced that children are snatched out of cars when their parents aren't looking "everyday, right here in Wilmington!" I had to laugh. There has not been a case of a stranger doing a child abduction here in the fifteen years I have lived here. Are there isolated cases throughout the country? Sure. Should we take reasonable precautions for child safety? Sure. Should we live in fear of evil child stealers? I say no.

Back to white women in crisis. Should we teach our daughters to take reasonable precautions for their safety? Yes. Should we obsess about those that don't? No, or we would be obsessing all day long. Is domestic violence a tragedy that is enacted throughout our country and throughout the world everyday? Yes. Do I need to hear about it when in happens to a young, middle class, attractive white woman in a city far, far away? No, I can hear about it all I want by talking to people locally.

With all the things that really need attention in the press, I don't think these cases are worthy of coverage in comparison. Local coverage, maybe. National coverage, no.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 08:57 am
Here are the two that I mentioned, and another that happened in the middle that I'd forgotten.

Quote:
Christian Longo married Mary Jane Baker in 1993 in Ann Arbor, Michigan. They were both Jehovah's Witnesses and they remained in Michigan to work hard so they could afford to raise a family. By 2000, they had three children, a boy and two girls. Then Longo was caught and convicted of forging checks, and their fortunes went into a serious decline. They left the state in mid-2001 and went to Newport, Oregon, where Longo got a low-paying job at a Starbucks. He also got into trouble again. Then the family just disappeared.

On December 19, 2001, the body of the boy, Zachary, was pulled out of the water of Alsea Bay. They soon found Sadie Ann, the second oldest. A week later, Mary Jean and the baby were found by divers. Both had been strangled and tossed into the water. Family possessions were located in a nearby trash can.

Longo was located in Cancun, Mexico, but he had already fled. They found him in a grass hut in Tulum, trysting with a German woman.

Less than three months later, in March 2002, the community of McMinnville, just south of Portland, was shaken when a family of six was found shot dead in their home. Landscaping contractor Robert Bryant apparently shot his wife, Janet, and their four children before turning the shotgun on himself. The children were all found in their beds. From all reports, they had last been seen at school on February 22, and no one had thought much about them disappearing for more than ten days. Like the Longos, this family had belonged to the Jehovah's Witnesses faith, but reportedly had been shunned by their former community for conduct not in harmony with the religion's principles. (Flaccus reports it was because Bryant believed he had been anointed for a special purpose.)

Bryant was described as deeply religious, mild-mannered, and devoted to his family, so the massacre came as a surprise to many who knew them. He'd had plans to build a nice home and nothing appeared to be so terrible in his life as to inspire such an act. There were rumors that he feared that relatives who belonged to the church would sue for custody of his children, so perhaps he was protecting them from that. Bryant had also filed for bankruptcy the year before, but had rebuilt his business and was getting back on his feet. The day he shot everyone and used the same shotgun on himself was his and Janet's 17th wedding anniversary.

The sudden deaths remain a mystery.

Nine months later, Edward Morris, 37, killed his pregnant wife and three young children. A hunter found their bodies in Oregon's Tillamook State Forest. Morris' wife and two sons had been shot, his 8-year-old daughter stabbed 18 times. He had fled, but after an international manhunt, was caught not far away in Baker City, Oregon. He, too, had been on the brink of financial ruin. He, too, was deeply religious, but as an evangelical Christian. He so hated violence that he had home-schooled his children to keep them away from disruptions at school. He doted on them as the centerpiece of his life. He had filed for bankruptcy in 1993 for his roofing business, but had not quite recovered from it. He had worked at a series of jobs and was plagued with financial problems. During pre-trial evaluations, he said that he'd been plagued by the voices of demons and had struggled against them, but they had told him to kill.

http://www.crimelibrary.com/criminal_mind/psychology/fathers_who_kill/5.html?sect=19

Maybe the Longo story got all of the attention because it happened first but of all these "fathers" he seems to be the more likely to do such a thing.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 09:12 am
Interesting article, JOA. And I agree wholeheartedly with Engineer saying the unpopular. Its popular with me.

boomerang wrote:
Isn't this "profile" just about the same as the typical person killed by a serial killer?

Aren't they usually young, white, women too?

Well, thats the big question raised by this article. Personally, I would hazard a guess that serial killers are as likely to kill a young black woman as a young white one - proportionally, that is, so in America that would be about 1 young black woman for every 8 white ones. I would also hazard a guess however that we're more likely to hear about it if she's white, despite the latter being more rare - I think the author is on to something.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 09:18 am
Ah, the power of the archtype, the blond heroine of fairy tales.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 09:56 am
boomerang...i saw somewhere that when the fathers are overly doting on their children and overly religious, when things go badly, they would rather kill their families as a way to protect them from "evil" or whatever, than allow them live a life that isn't worthy of them. something like the family protector syndrome or something.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 12:32 pm
Many of the elderly men who kill their wives and then themselves reason the same way. "I am failing and no one can take care of my beloved wife the way I have."
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 02:30 pm
Is it that a Damsel is a Virigin, is she not?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 04:04 pm
CG--

I was linking the elderly murder/suicides with the younger men who slaughter their wives and children.

Princes rescue virgins--and then deflower them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 04:09 pm
Damsel, from demoiselle, from Old French dameisele, from Latin domina, simply means a young lady. As such, it has nothing to do with peasants, so, technically, Jessica Lynch was never a damsel.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 04:15 pm
I suspect that these fathers own murder their children are as much motivated by the idea of ownership as anything else. Not unrelated to the idea that "no one can take care of them as well as I can" but more along the lines of "I don't want anyone else to take care of them."

As for the original argument, I think that Finn was being more than a little coy...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 09:04 pm
engineer wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

There is reason to question the motivation of the Media in covering these stories, but that should be possible without somehow suggesting that those whose plights do receive coverage are somehow not worthy of it.

OK, I'll say the unpopular... They are not worthy of it. These stories are not of national interest and tend to create a distorted issue of our society and the risks we face everyday. I ended up with a conversation with some guy who was convinced that children are snatched out of cars when their parents aren't looking "everyday, right here in Wilmington!" I had to laugh. There has not been a case of a stranger doing a child abduction here in the fifteen years I have lived here. Are there isolated cases throughout the country? Sure. Should we take reasonable precautions for child safety? Sure. Should we live in fear of evil child stealers? I say no.

Back to white women in crisis. Should we teach our daughters to take reasonable precautions for their safety? Yes. Should we obsess about those that don't? No, or we would be obsessing all day long. Is domestic violence a tragedy that is enacted throughout our country and throughout the world everyday? Yes. Do I need to hear about it when in happens to a young, middle class, attractive white woman in a city far, far away? No, I can hear about it all I want by talking to people locally.

With all the things that really need attention in the press, I don't think these cases are worthy of coverage in comparison. Local coverage, maybe. National coverage, no.

There is quite a difference between asserting that the extensive and sensational coverage these stories tend to attract is of questionable value to the viewing public and contending that the victims are not worthy of media attention.

The disappearance of an American woman in a foreign land (particularly a place touted as an island paradise for tourists) is newsworthy. The speculation that the story would never have received similar attention if it involved a black woman or a man is just that, but even if that were to be the case, it doesn't make a story of a white woman and foul pay unnewsworthy.

The News has never been solely about revealing political corruption or patient abuse in mental hospitals. It is not only an unreasonable requirement that stories featured in the News be those that impact thousands of people as opposed to those that impact the few, it demonstrates a callous disregard for the plight of individuals and an inability to understand how the plight of individuals can deeply affect thousands.

I will agree that the nature of the news coverage is disagreeable and sometimes even offensive, but to somehow lay that at the doorstep of the victims being covered is misplacing the blame.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 09:06 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
I suspect that these fathers own murder their children are as much motivated by the idea of ownership as anything else. Not unrelated to the idea that "no one can take care of them as well as I can" but more along the lines of "I don't want anyone else to take care of them."

As for the original argument, I think that Finn was being more than a little coy...

Really? And why do you think that?
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 06:35 am
Setanta wrote:
Damsel, from demoiselle, from Old French dameisele, from Latin domina, simply means a young lady. As such, it has nothing to do with peasants, so, technically, Jessica Lynch was never a damsel.

Maybe she was, and maybe she wasn't technically. But the author, Robinson, named her specifically. I propose she was as much a damsel as Joan of Arc ever was. Wasn't she technically a peasant also?
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 06:48 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
engineer wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

There is quite a difference between asserting that the extensive and sensational coverage these stories tend to attract is of questionable value to the viewing public and contending that the victims are not worthy of media attention.

The disappearance of an American woman in a foreign land (particularly a place touted as an island paradise for tourists) is newsworthy. The speculation that the story would never have received similar attention if it involved a black woman or a man is just that, but even if that were to be the case, it doesn't make a story of a white woman and foul pay unnewsworthy.

The News has never been solely about revealing political corruption or patient abuse in mental hospitals. It is not only an unreasonable requirement that stories featured in the News be those that impact thousands of people as opposed to those that impact the few, it demonstrates a callous disregard for the plight of individuals and an inability to understand how the plight of individuals can deeply affect thousands.

I will agree that the nature of the news coverage is disagreeable and sometimes even offensive, but to somehow lay that at the doorstep of the victims being covered is misplacing the blame.

I don't think anyone is laying blame for this media coverage at the door of the victims or the victims families, finn. The blame *I* would lay is at the media coverage 24/7 of such cases. If it had been a boy child gone missing, there would not be the 24/7 covereage (wasn't that the case with the dutch or swiss boy who went missing during the tsunami in Indonesia?) If Laci Peterson had been AA, would the coverage have been as exhausiting as it was for her? (I can think of dozens of AA women who disappeared while p/g who garnered very little media coverage.) If Terri Schiavo had been a senior citizen rather than a woman who appeared innocently childlike in the video played and replayed on pretty much every channel, would the coverage have been as extensive? It's the media's fault, and they pick the victim of the week to meet an archetype, which is white, young and female. The repetition of it makes it important, sort of (but not really.) I've been thinking about it, and maybe it's b/c we don't have storytellers recognised in each and every village as there was in the day of the brothers' Grimm; instead we have television anchors who repeat the stories which shape the fabric of society's morality. Could it be that is what drives them on some level to report the "news" in the manner they do when it concerns morality tales?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 07:32 am
princesspupule wrote:
Maybe she was, and maybe she wasn't technically. But the author, Robinson, named her specifically. I propose she was as much a damsel as Joan of Arc ever was. Wasn't she technically a peasant also?

First, to clear things up for you, that was wry humor, and not intended as being serious. One could contend that La Pucelle was a member of the petite bourgeoisie rather than a peasant, but that would still not have made her a damsel, if one were to stick to the aristocratic concept of a young lady. But who cares? As i said, the comment on Jessica Lynch was simply wry humor, or intended to be. Please be assured that when i indulge something as pedantically silly as that was, it is not meant to be a serious comment.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 12:35 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
CG--

I was linking the elderly murder/suicides with the younger men who slaughter their wives and children.

Princes rescue virgins--and then deflower them.
I was not referring to your post, I was commenting of the post that started this thread.

What do you mean deflower them?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 12:58 pm
CG--

"Deflower" is an old-fashioned euphuism for taking a woman's virginity. As the metaphor goes the bride moves from being a decorative flower to a fertile matron.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 01:21 pm
Setanta wrote:
princesspupule wrote:

First, to clear things up for you, that was wry humor, and not intended as being serious. One could contend that La Pucelle was a member of the petite bourgeoisie rather than a peasant, but that would still not have made her a damsel, if one were to stick to the aristocratic concept of a young lady. But who cares? As i said, the comment on Jessica Lynch was simply wry humor, or intended to be. Please be assured that when i indulge something as pedantically silly as that was, it is not meant to be a serious comment.
I would hate to know if Jessica was a virgin and rapped by a rag head.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 02:14 pm
Why is sexual assault by an Iraqi more heinous than a rape by a red-blooded American?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 02:31 pm
Still not newsworthy in my town.
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

Newsworthy to who? If every disappearance is newsworthy because every victim is newsworthy, why don't we have six hours of daily coverage on them every day. This most recent case is newsworthy ... in Aruba and the woman's home town. Does it merit a mention on a half hour national news program? My take is no. As to blame, we are to blame for all of this. If it didn't sell, it wouldn't be on TV.
0 Replies