We sure love obsessing over white women in distress

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 12:26 am
(White) women we love Natalee Holloway, the student who disappeared while on a class trip to the Caribbean island of Aruba, is the latest in what seems an endless series.A damsel must be white. This requirement is nonnegotiable. It helps if her frame is of dimensions that breathless cable television reporters can credibly describe as "petite," and it also helps if she's the kind of woman who wouldn't really mind being called "petite," a woman with a good deal of princess in her personality. She must be attractiveHer economic status should be middle class or higher, but an exception can be made in the case of wartime (see: Lynch).

24-7 coverage
Put all this together, and you get 24-7 coverage. The disappearance of a man, or of a woman of color, can generate a brief flurry, but never the full damsel treatment. Since the Holloway story broke we've had more news reports from Aruba this past week, I'd wager, than in the preceding 10 years.

I have no idea whether the late French philosopher Jacques Derrida hung on every twist and turn of the Chandra Levy case; somehow, I doubt he did. But I suspect the apostle of "deconstructionism" would have analyzed the damsel-in-distress phenomenon by explaining that our society is imposing its own subconsciously chosen narrative on all these cases.

It's the meta-narrative of something seen as precious and delicate being snatched away, defiled, destroyed by evil forces that lurk in the shadows, just outside the bedroom window. It's whiteness under siege. It's innocence and optimism crushed by cruel reality. It's a flower smashed by a rock.

Or maybe (since Derrida believed in multiple readings of a single text) the damsel thing is just a guaranteed cure for a slow news day. The cable news channels, after all, have lots of airtime to fill.

This is not to mock any one of these cases (except Runaway Bride) or to diminish the genuine tragedy experienced by family and friends. I can imagine the helplessness I'd feel if a child of mine disappeared from a remote beach in the Caribbean. But I can also be fairly confident that neither of my sons would provoke so many headlines.

Whatever our ultimate reason for singling out these few unfortunate victims, among the thousands of Americans who are murdered or who vanish each year, the pattern of choosing only young, white, middle-class women for the full damsel treatment says a lot about a nation that likes to believe it has consigned race and class to irrelevance.

What it says is that we haven't. What it says is that those stubborn issues are still very much alive and that they remain at the heart of the nation's deepest fears.

SOURCE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,523 • Replies: 75
No top replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 12:39 am
This seems to be a rather churlish and cynical expression that is not, in the least, ameliorated by a weak and perfunctory seeming disclaimer that the writer is not minimizing the tragedies of the damsels in distress which he very much does mock.

I get the feeling that this fellow would have loved to include "Christian" as a prerequisite for Damsel in Distress status but, unfortunately, Chandra Levy made that impossible.

There is reason to question the motivation of the Media in covering these stories, but that should be possible without somehow suggesting that those whose plights do receive coverage are somehow not worthy of it.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 12:54 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
There is reason to question the motivation of the Media in covering these stories, but that should be possible without somehow suggesting that those whose plights do receive coverage are somehow not worthy of it.

In no way does he say they are not worthy of such coverage. He only speaks of how such coverage seems to be reserved for this class of individuals.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 01:12 am
JustanObserver wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

In no way does he say they are not worthy of such coverage. He only speaks of how such coverage seems to be reserved for this class of individuals.

I beg to differ.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 01:32 am
There used to be five murders a day in New York City alone.

Newspaper editors had to choose which of the five was the one to play up.

That changed, and murders in New York City are down to one, one and a half per day. But that's still over a person murdered per day in just ONE American city with less than three percent of the American population.

Why is it, in a nation so diverse, that we pick people so similar in characteristics to concentrate on? So many people of all kinds go missing every day.
0 Replies

JustanObserver

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 01:32 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
I beg to differ.

Beg all you want. I'm still right.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 04:36 am
YOU love obsessing about white women in distress? Nothing compared to this this! Check out the Oz obsession!:

http://www.schapellecorby.com.au/newsblog/?page_id=13
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 06:03 am
What's the latest on that Miss Olga, more national agonizing?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 06:13 am
In a nutshell, Setanta:

Pretty Oz woman flies to Bali.
Drugs are found in her luggage.
Bali jail & Bali court case.
Mass popular media-induced hysteria in Oz.: "She's innocent!".
Endless conspiracy theories.
She loses the court case - sentenced to 20 years in a Balinese jail.
"White Powder" sent in envelope to Indonesian Embassy in Oz.
Indonesian diplomats evacuated. Embassy closed.
Much Oz grovelling to Indonesian govt.
Government steps in with support.
Appeal coming up, soon. Taxpayers to finance!

Lots of photographs like this in the press:
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2005/06/11/corby_narrowweb__200x299.jpg

Enough already of this Corby hysteria!
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52583&highlight=
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 08:16 am
Finn has a point, but there is a pattern here as kelticwizard notes.

An anecdote: A friend of mine, at age 23, was working for an NGO in the aftermath of the Biafria war in Nigeria. She was the only white person on a very crowed bus in a recently "pacified" zone that ran into a road block set up by a group of armed thugs, who probably intended to rob the bus passengers. Three of the thugs got on the bus and she looked the leader right in the eye. They got off the bus and it continued on.

To be white, particularly white and female, once conferred a great deal of authority, if not power in the non-western world. That is changing, and I wonder if the phenomenon Robinson discusses reflects our anxiety over that change.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 08:28 am
They obsessed mightily over Angela Davis in distress. How could there be favoritism?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 08:34 am
I saw this title and was about to jump in and agree wholeheartedly -- the discussion has gone a slightly different direction than I had in mind. The observation of how many people are murdered in NYC daily is closer.

I think this is standard escapism. It's a trope that obviously gets attention and sells -- the damsel or child or both in distress. Especially if it is unresolved, and everyone is on the edge of their seats waiting, and wanting to know what will happen.

There are all kinds of things to be upset about these days, but those are TOO upsetting, too close to home. Being worried about a young woman or girl you've never met is a more comfortable way to channel this general upset, and it even has a chance of a happy ending.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 11:38 am
interesting article. I bet there are a lot of unreported (in the media) non white missing females or males, so maybe the the aurthor is on to something.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 11:55 am
edgarblythe wrote:
They obsessed mightily over Angela Davis in distress. How could there be favoritism?

Oh Edgar. 1969? 1970? And the distress was brought on by the anxiousness of the FBI to find her and lock her black ass up.

Of course, if you're just being facetious... Confused
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 02:29 pm
He he.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 03:31 pm
Strange.

Isn't this "profile" just about the same as the typical person killed by a serial killer?

Aren't they usually young, white, women too?

I've wondered how "sensation" stories are selected.

A few years ago there were two big murders here in Oregon where men killed their families, then disappeared only to be arrested pretty quickly.

One was Christian Longo who captured headlines across the country, and still is in the headlines here.

The other was that guy.... you know... that guy who killed all his kids up in the mountains.... you know.... THAT guy.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 03:49 pm
JustanObserver wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

This doesn't strike a mocking tone in presentation?
Quote:
Someday historians will look back at America in the decade bracketing the turn of the 21st century and identify the era's major themes: Religious fundamentalism. Terrorism. War in Iraq. Economic dislocation. Bioengineering. Information technology. Nuclear proliferation. Globalization. The rise of superpower China.

And, of course, Damsels in Distress.
The author is saying damsels in distress are one of the era's major themes, alongside terrorism and economic dislocation, alongside war and globalization.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 11:18 pm
It is mocking, in a certain way.

What the author of that line was trying to say is that people in the future, who elect to study this period of history, will look back at the newpaper archives and newscasts of this time and conclude that we felt that Damsels in Distress was right up there with the major stories of the day.

Of couse, the Damsels in Distress stories only affect one person or family, while "Religious fundamentalism. Terrorism. War in Iraq. Economic dislocation. Bioengineering. Information technology. Nuclear proliferation. Globalization. The rise of superpower China.", affect milliions.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 11:26 pm
boomerang wrote:

I've wondered how "sensation" stories are selected.

A few years ago there were two big murders here in Oregon where men killed their families, then disappeared only to be arrested pretty quickly.

One was Christian Longo who captured headlines across the country, and still is in the headlines here.

The other was that guy.... you know... that guy who killed all his kids up in the mountains.... you know.... THAT guy.

Interesting observation. How DO these stories get "legs", while so many other similar situations never get noticed?

With the Petterson trial, I think it was the fact that she was gone on Christmas Eve, so the who town organized search in the late hours of Christmas Eve to find her.

Very possibly, if she were killed in February, we might never have heard of Laci Peterson.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 07:03 am
Could it be that it is more unusual that an upper middle class white woman that seems relatively happy goes missing?

In school, one teacher taught us that what is reported in the news is the more unusual. For example, the news does not report that 10 billion travels arrived safely, but it will report on the one tragic accident where an entire family was killed on the highway.

The rare stories that hit the heart strings sell better. If you saw that the 11:00 news on channel 5 had a top story about a black man that lived in the poorest neighborhood, not married without any children was missing would that conjure up feelings that he was kidnapped, killed or similar? You would probably assume (right or wrong) that he just as likely left his unhappy situation and tried his luck elsewhere. However, on channel 7, they showed the top story of a five year old white girl that was last seen sleeping in bed in her upper class neighborhood. Which would seem a more interesting and unusual story to you?

Right or wrong - the news media is trying to make money - to do that they need to bring the most viewers and the more unusual the story the more likely it will bring viewers.
0 Replies