Buying Breakfast Cereals, a daunting task

JLNobody

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:54 pm
I guess so. Sad
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:57 pm
Oh let's set cynicism aside and enjoy a bowl of oatmeal or Cream of Wheat. With blueberries and brown sugar.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 09:59 pm
Grape Nuts, Boss, i want Grape Nuts . . . and i would love to have the old-fashioned variety, not the "softened" Grape Nuts they sell these days.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 10 Jul, 2005 10:25 pm
Diane, love to.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 04:47 am
I read the same thing, jl.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 06:37 am
we have an "Amish supermarket" near us. Its a giant building with all natural light domes (no electric lights) There are also giant fans that are pneumatically driven by propane burners outside.
Anyway, the market sells cereals that are just over the expiration date, and, as any American knows, there are so many presevatives in the food to "ensure freshness" that these things have an indefinite shelf life. So they are a moth over expiration. The big thing is that we get these giant boxes of oats n nuts n **** , for which we pay like 75 cent. We stock up on all sorts of packaged stuff there. Its loaded with lots of English as well as Amish people.
We see RVs with California license plates and tourists from all over. In the summer the market runs out of stuff everyso often and they are always filling shelves from bulk carrier trucks that are constantly unloading on their docks.
Wish Id of thought of this.

Cheerios, under a buck for a front end loader sized box. There are some Foreign labels, like Canadian French and Spanish. I one bought a Russian cake mix. My wife added fresh baking powder just to insure that it would rise properly. (Betting that the expiration date would affect the cake- rising chemistry)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 06:39 am
Ain't that un-American?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 06:52 am
I love Cookie Crisp but $4.50 for a box is just a little much for me...I only get it when it's on sale.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 08:50 am
Cereal, if considered by the per-pound-price, is more expensive than steak.

FM, the Amish in our area have no such store, but if you want bargains, just look for the Amish women in the Walmart, and follow them around. They can smell a deal from a hundred yards away.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 06:02 pm
http://www.kraftfoods.com/images/product/KraftFoods_Post/43000/10210CL.gifi've been a fan of this stuff for years.
i add cut up strawberries, banana, sometimes yellow raisins, and fresh blueberries (bcos u can never have enough blueberries)...
mmmmmm...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 07:13 pm
Exactly, Regis. I eat a similar combination (always including frozen blueberries). I expect it to add some years to my life. If it doesn't, no matter; it SO delicious.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 07:30 pm
I eat a mix of berries daily. Since I began doing it, my joints are more flexible and my arthritis has gone away (or at least hid).
The mix is heavy on the red raspberries, but includes blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and often cranberries.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 09:55 pm
Edgar, that's also good for your urinary tract. Throw some walnuts in for omega 3 oil and you'll an even better and tastier meal (as far as I'm concerned, that is).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 10:04 pm
I eat about two ounces of walnuts an hour before bed time. Makes me relax and sleep.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 10:28 pm
Really! When I want a little help sleeping, I drink a mexican tea called tila tea (te de tila). Very relaxing. What about a small bite of turkey breast?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 Jul, 2005 11:50 pm
Waluts is easiest. I wouldn't know where to look for the tea.
0 Replies