Buying Breakfast Cereals, a daunting task

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 07:59 pm
When I go down the breakfast food aisle, my wife tries to guide me with coupons. I will be zeroed in on a certain taste, texture, or particular grain, when she pushes one in my hand. They are always for Kellogs or General Mills, which sometimes I get. But, not at the dictate of a coupon. If I have a taste this week for Cheerios, that's what I hope to buy. Otherwise, coupon be damned. Like today, I am right away homed in on Optimum Zen. It's organic, has cranberry, ginger, and promotes inner harmony. So it reads on the box. The wife kind of sniffs and wanders to the next aisle, knowing she has lost me this go around. Neat! So I look at Kashi cereals and pick out Golean Crunch to alternate with the Optimum Zen. I prance, happy as a kid at recess, to drop the cereal in the cart. It's the same process buying honey, or batteries ("We can get batteries at the dollar store." Not with my dime.) But that's another story.
I've loved the breakfast food aisle since I was a kid, when we ate Post Toasties, Sugar Jets, Sugar Crisp, Quaker Puffed Wheat. That was when they put cool toys in some of the boxes. Once, one had an offer, where you send in the box top and fifty cents and they send you a camera. I persuaded my folks to give me the money and soon had my very own camera. They bought the film- -but, the camera was made a tad too small. The film didn't fit. I was chewed out and told never to ask for fifty cents again.
Our big thing when I was small, we bought three kinds of cereal and mixed them in the bowl for a combined taste and varied texture.
Here are some old slogans/jingles.

You'll get a kick out of Kix.

Well all over the country in every direction
How you how you doing is the question
And here's what the hap hap happy people have to say
We're eating our Wheaties and we're do do doing okay (Okay)

Kellogs Sugar Corn Pops
Sugar Pops are tops
--------the taste is new
Shot with sugar through and through

So, here I am, 62 years old and still eating my Wheaties- -and Zen and Wheat Chex and Weatabix and
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 10,428 • Replies: 75
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:35 pm
....and I think that's cute Edgar Wink
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:51 pm
Wheaties is an excellent choice, Edgar - Wheaties is "the breakfast of champions." It was the favorite of Jack Armstrong, the All American Boy. - but you wouldn't remember him. Very Happy I used to save boxtops for a ring and pedometer. (got the ring and lost it right away - never did get the pedometer.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:53 pm
Cheerioats, the first version of Cheerios.
http://cheerios.biography.ms/
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 10:37 pm
Silly rabbit! Trix are for kids.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 07:43 am
Cereal can be extremely expensive - especially since all you are buying is oats and stuff - food that horses eat.

I am with your wife (although I can't take the time to use coupons), I buy what is on sale.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 07:54 am
90% of breakfast cereals are like shooting sugar directly in your veins. Coupons be damned from saving you from that!
but... gotta love the sugar smacks. :-) The Trix, Lucky Charms.. >sigh<
To be a kid again with that metabolisim where i could eat an entire box and still fit my clothes, not feel my heart skip so many beats im not sure it will start up again..or spend hours on the toilet !
0 Replies

BubbaGumbo

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 01:15 am
"If I have a taste this week for Cheerios, that's what I hope to buy"

Laughing
Your cereal tastes are rather bland.
Count Chocula for life!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:43 am
I rarely buy the same brand twice in a month.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 12:18 pm
Besides, Kellogs includes neat Star Wars toys in the package, just now.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 01:17 pm
Edgar--

Avoiding ruts, particularly first-thing-in-the-morning-ruts is a sign of mental health.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 03:48 pm
I only used cereal for an example of my wife's and my buying habits. I've actually eaten eggs with potatoes the past few mornings.
The original post is cut from a slightly longer rant:

When we go down the breakfast food aisle, my wife, Effie, inexorably seeks to guide me with coupons. I may be zeroed in on a certain taste, texture, or particular grain; still, she pushes a slip in my hand. It is always for Kellogs, or General Mills, which sometimes I get. But, not at the dictate of a coupon. If this week I have a taste for Cheerios, that's what I opt to buy. Otherwise, coupon be damned. As, today, I am homed in on Optimum Zen. It's organic, has cranberry, ginger, and promotes inner harmony. So it reads on the box. Effie recognizes the futility of the moment, sniffs, and wanders to the next aisle.
Neat! Left on my own, I hug the box, and then study the varieties of Kashi on the same end. Their Golean Crunch seems like a good alternate. I grab it, too, prancing, happy as a kid, to drop them in the cart. Effie deems to not notice.
It's always the same, no matter what we buy for me. Picking out batteries, she says, "I can get some at the Dollar Store."
Only thing, I don't want them if they come from that place. I want batteries I can trust. Getting them from a dealer that buys first-hand and sells plenty ensures they will be fresh.
"I guess I don't need them," I say, secretly making a plan to purchase some during lunch tomorrow.
Even with tools she does this. You must understand about the drill I wanted to replace before I tell what happened at the new Lowe's. It was lightweight, but heavy duty, with hammer action. I bought it fifteen years ago and installed whole metal roofs with it, plus a plethora of lesser jobs, until that magnificent motor gave out. She wanted to replace it with the cheapest, non-hammer crud on the rack. The harder I searched for a drill just like the old one, the more she pushed for me to take the cheapie. To placate her, I settled for one with a good motor, but no hammer action. This isn't shopping. It's rummaging.
I don't mean to say Effie's not a good wife, or that I am angry with her. It's just, since we walked down the first aisle, twenty-seven years ago, we seem to be viewing the merchandise from dueling perspectives. Raising the family was no different. Making the kids sit at the table until they ate everything was her style; I preferred making dining something pleasant so that a child could look forward to a meal. Well, the children turned out fine. I guess our working at cross-purposes didn't hurt them much. On payday, I am going to purchase some new sunglasses. I have a notion to buy the good twenty-dollar pair. Therefore I think I shall slip away when Effie is otherwise occupied.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 04:16 pm
Lately, I had been into Kellogg's Special K Low-Carb. That was in keeping with my Atkins-like diet. I finally figured out that I can lose just as much on a high-carb, low sugar diet, and feel less deprived.

Last week, in my supermarket there was a big bin of General Mills' Fiber One. It was a "buy one, get one free" deal. So I tried it.

It is amazingly good. It is made with Nutra-Sweet, so although it is very tasty, it has no sugar. It is high in carbs, but that does not seem to matter, as far as my weight is concerned. I am still losing.

And I suppose, at our stage of life, Edgarblythe, a little extra fiber won't hurt! :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 04:36 pm
Fer sure, phoenix.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 04:53 pm
Cheerios. Nothing but Honey Nut Cheerios.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 05:08 pm
I used to like Honey Nut Cheerios, but lately they seem too sweet for my taste.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 05:10 pm
I always loved Kix . . . then they changed them into Trix, which sucked and had a chemical taste . . i went back to two old standards--Grape Nuts and Shredded Wheat . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 05:13 pm
Two excellent choices, even if Eual Gibbons did strangle on them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 05:15 pm
http://www.geocities.com/rraattbbooyy/images/kix.jpg

http://www.miscellany.com/ande/dist/shredded.gif

http://www2.uwsuper.edu/rmorden/HPdocs/D/Diet/GNuts2.JPG
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 05:20 pm
I particularly like the shredded wheat.
0 Replies