Pancakes or Waffles or Crepes? Let's Food Fight It Out!

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 07:18 am
You want some great breakfast. You don't have to cook it yourself (unless that floats your breakie boat).

Which delish breakfast stable would you choose:
Pancakes, waffles, or crepes? How would you like them prepared? Toppings? Mountains of toppings? Minimalist with only syrup? No syrup (you monster!)?

McGentrix

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 07:29 am
@tsarstepan,
Usually, eggs.

But, we did buy a good waffle maker so we could make waffles. I like Mrs. Butterworth's or pure maple syrup on waffles.

Pancakes are easy, but if we are going to make the batter anyways, we usually end up with waffles.

I've only had crepes once. A friend of mine married a French girl and she made them for us once. I have goat cheese and strawberry jam or jelly or spread. They were very good.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 07:30 am
@McGentrix,
Crepes to me? Tend to sound good in concept but tend to be anticlimactic in practice.
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 08:48 am
Good pancakes are rare to find and I dont know how to make them so id say waffles or crepes. Im leaning towards crepes though. Waffles are just glorified pancakes, kinda like waffles fries. Something about the texture makes for a more satisfying bite. I prefer the crunchier outside that contrasts the fluffier inside that's hard to get with a pancake. But crepes are much more versatile and more filling. They could actually be eaten alone and still be really enjoyable. You could roll them with melted chocolate or ricotta. You could add cheese and chives. You could stack them, spread chocolate or jam between the layers and top with berries to eat like a light breakfast cake. They're great.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 09:09 am
@tsarstepan,
Waffles. It takes a very good hand to get the batter right and I think it's worth the effort. I like traditional waffles with unsalted butter, Grade B maple syrup and a side of crispy bacon. If I'm making waffles for a party, I replace some of the oil in the batter with bananas I've liquefied with a wand blender - and toss some pecans in when I put the batter in the waffle iron. Banana pecan waffles yumm. My mother used to ask me to make them when I was in town and she had friends over - she'd serve with them freshly made whipped cream and homemade compote (strawberry and/or peach).

Crepes are terrific if you've got the right pan. I like them with strawberry preserves.

Really good pancakes (made from scratch of course) with lemon juice and sugar are a great treat.

Dutch babies are fun when you're cooking for friends but

best of all ... beaver tails (with lemon juice and cinnamon sugar - the Killaloe Sunrise). Not 100% a breakfast pastry but good anytime you've been skating on the canal in Ottawa.

https://dishnthekitchen.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/0421.jpg
George

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 09:14 am
Pancakes at Flapjacks Pancake House in Lincoln NH.
Real butter and real maple syrup, nothing else.

Waffles are silly.

Crepes are a whole nother thing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 09:22 am
Sometimes it's hard to choose between a good pancake and a good waffle. I usually opt for the waffle. Buttered while it's hot, maple syrup (a lot but not swimming). Don't need a thing else but hot black unsweetened coffee.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 09:32 am
@ehBeth,
Ahhh, time for me to make Dutch Babies again - easy and delicious.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 09:38 am
I know I'm weird, but even as a kid I never found any of those 3 appetizing. It would be ok if it was offered as a really small part of a meal, like 2 or 3 ounces. A whole plate is so overwhelming. I guess if it was a small bit, I'd take pancakes
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 12:03 pm
@tsarstepan,
Waffles toppled with a light amount of blueberry syrup and a handful (or 2) of fresh blueberries.

I rarely desire pancakes (unless we're talking delicious potato pancakes). They far too often disappoint, as they never measure up to the ones my father used to make most Sundays (waffles and French toast were alternating alternates once a month).

Crêpe sounds too French for my morning and besides a nice blueberry or cheese blintz would be better!

Maybe I'd better just gnaw away at a bagel with cream cheese and lox with a few thin slices of onion.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 12:51 am
@tsarstepan,
None of the above. If it's something light a croissant.
farmerman

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 04:04 am
@izzythepush,
dont like pancakes, the baking powder taste is easily detectable.

I love waffles if they are made with an extra buttery batter thats has a taste reminiscent of "funnel cake". The extra butter makes the waffle crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. Waffles erved up with butter and Loganberry syrup .
Crepes are special , very thin .Pour batter in a crepe pan (Crepe pans are great for searing steaks and browning scallops so they areNOT one purpose pans) Swoosh the batter around and pour it out. The crepe should be just a very thin wet coat on the inside of the pan.

Serve em with chopped strawberries or red raspberries with whip cream and chocolate drizzle. Hershey syrup works fine for me (MOst people hate Hershey syrup, thats ok, theres more for me).
Dont like most savory crepes except a lobster roll mix made into a wrap. Thats good
farmerman

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 04:06 am
@ehBeth,
whats in a beaver tail?? They look great!
izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 04:51 am
@farmerman,
Over here crepes are pancakes. (Not for breakfast though.)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 05:47 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

whats in a beaver tail?? They look great!

I'm guessing wood chips. Wink
farmerman

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 05:55 am
@tsarstepan,
in Poland, theyre naledsnikis . Were probably the one culture in the New World that distinguishes the difference between the two batter cakes.

There is a real difference in the batter mix because a pancake in US restaurants will puff up and its the baking powder that does it because they are most often made with buttermilk. Blecchh.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 06:02 am
For me, the deal breaker with pancakes is if they have cornmeal in them. That turns it into cornbread.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 06:06 am
@edgarblythe,
Most pancakes I partake in tend to have only all purpose flour.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 06:06 am
And these are flapjacks.

http://www.reallynicerecipes.com/recipes/cakes_biscuits/flapjacksFP.jpg

Recipe at link if anyone's interested.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1205637/flapjack
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 3 May, 2017 06:11 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Most pancakes I partake in tend to have only all purpose flour.

You might be surprised how many persons have offered me pancakes with cornmeal mixed with the flour. Mostly, I turn them down.