Prove You Are One, or Two...

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 04:10 pm
Hi,

A Logic/Philosophy exercise for you:

Using your Logical Philosophy brain, can you devise a way to know if characters on A2K have the same human being source, or different human beings as their source?

For example, lets say there are Characters A & B. Some might think A & B are two different humans. Others think A & B might actually be the same person. Sort of a double-agent. Now there are other conspiracy theories that claim some characters like A, B, C, D, & E are all the same person. But lets keep it simple to the A & B question for now.

Can you think of a way to prove it one way or the other?

I mean without resorting to tracing IP addresses of the computers and all that. Is there an elegant philosophy-based solution to this one?
___

One idea I had was to demand that the 2 characters post long posts on different threads at the same minute. You would see the posting time, etc. and it would be very difficult for one person to double-type long passages at the same minute.
The problem with this is there's a workaround. If it was one person, all they'd have to do is pre-type up a lot of shyte and copy & paste it at the same time, all within seconds. Another technique might be to engage both of them in threaded converation at once, but this still isn't proof. Someone who is fast could pull it off.

For every potential solution, I see a workaround that the conspirator might use to get around it.

Can anyone offer a way to prove whether 2 characters are actually the same human, or not?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,433 • Replies: 97
No top replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 04:12 pm
Feeling a bit paranoid today, are we ?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 04:15 pm
"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not really actually someone out looking to get you." -Woody Allen
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 04:24 pm
If someone was in a computer lab or something, they could have like 30 computers fired up, running 30 characters, all with different IP addresses too!

It boggles the mind!

Is A2K actually only 1 person???

Well, it seems like there is at least one other person out there other than me.

Unless I'm typing all this crap, then I forget I posted as other people, then I answer myself. Kind of like Fight Club or Memento (two of the greatest movies of all time)

And I think you gotta be more than one person out there, there's too many posts going up all at once.

But I figure A2K could be a total of maybe 10 people, (or even less). Working shifts, just posting their brains out, to create this cyber world for us. Kind of like Matrix too (only the original one was any good).

Its hard to prove any of this on here.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 04:28 pm
Laughing Lion, I thought the same thing.

extra, does it really matter? You will never know who
is on the other end of the computer unless you meet
everyone at a2k, which should be a rather lenghty
process.

If I get further and only point out the people you've
had in mind, than I assure you, you'll never know as
neither one will ever admit to it, if indeed they're one
person, which I personally doubt for various reasons.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 04:32 pm
Are CJ & LionTamerX the same person? :wink:

Your depravity knows no limits!

__

Why must you torment me so?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 04:40 pm
CJ,

You're right, I don't really care whether they are one or two or whatever.

I just thought of this as sort of a fun logical game of sorts.

Can you, could you, devise a way to figure it out without resorting to boring techniques like tracing the computer IPs or something?

Not that I really even want to do it. I was asking it as more of an mental/logic exercise.

Could you do it, if you needed to? If there was a contest where you would win $1 Billion you could give to charity, could you devise a way to do it? :wink:
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 04:45 pm
Now, I don't want to torment you, although the thought
of it, does derive some pleasure. If you really want to
find out then study their semantic, their grammatical
habits/mistakes, their posting times and so on.

If you find more correlations as differences then
you could probably have the same person in front of you.

Is it really worth it? Nah!

greetings
LionTamerX
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 04:48 pm
extra medium wrote:
If someone was in a computer lab or something, they could have like 30 computers fired up, running 30 characters, all with different IP addresses too!

It boggles the mind!

Is A2K actually only 1 person???

Well, it seems like there is at least one other person out there other than me.

Unless I'm typing all this crap, then I forget I posted as other people, then I answer myself. Kind of like Fight Club or Memento (two of the greatest movies of all time)

And I think you gotta be more than one person out there, there's too many posts going up all at once.

But I figure A2K could be a total of maybe 10 people, (or even less). Working shifts, just posting their brains out, to create this cyber world for us. Kind of like Matrix too (only the original one was any good).

Its hard to prove any of this on here.

It's like the old rhyme:
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I'm schizophrenic...
And so am I.

Or maybe we're all just figments of your imagination...wait, I just remembered: you're all figments of my imagination! :wink:
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 04:56 pm
LOL. Nice Mills.

CJ & LTX:
nahh, really Mathos on another thread was talking about "can someone come up with a way to figure it out" and I was wondering if anyone could. Just for fun. I doubt it though.

There's always a workaround.

The literary style/mistakes is a good idea.

but somun; that iz gud with inglish.can fake all that 2.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 04:58 pm
E.M.

It's a piece of cake.You couldn't imitate C.J's prose style if there were an infinite number of you and you only had to do one short paragraph.Not the slightest possible chance.You just haven't got what it takes mate and you should accept it.You couldn't do what I would call an"unmistakeably C.J. pose" under any circumstances whatsoever and that's a fact.

Would it were otherwise eh?

Are we on the questions thread?

(Editor-I don't know.)
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 05:02 pm
Extra, I think that, among us, only Craven could solve your problem, if there is an solution. Ask him.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 05:04 pm
spendius,
extra actually was talking about you and Mathos, if it
indeed could be possible that he and you could be one
(which I negated).
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 05:06 pm
E.M.

I told you what a good judge can do with nonsensical ideas.Like shred 'em.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 05:07 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Extra, I think that, among us, only Craven could solve your problem, if there is an solution. Ask him.

curious: why do you say Craven?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 05:08 pm
It is his (Craven's) board extra.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 05:11 pm
Here's another thought I have:

There are a few pairs or trios or so of characters that I sometimes think might be the same person (not S & M incidentally---how do you like those initials by the way you sado-maso out there)--

But it doesn't really matter. The humans doing it are so insane, so completely schizophrenic, that it doesn't matter.

The characters may as well be different humans. Its that good. Or bad.

So I just actually consider all the characters to be different. Cause the humans are insane enough to make that a workable reality. More real than trying to push them back together.

This is reality.

As real as the plants outside.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 05:12 pm
Well,if it is Craven's board,and if C.J. says it is it must be,I hope he makes a lotta dough out of it.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 05:19 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
It is his (Craven's) board extra.

Okay, I get that.

But as I stated in the outset, I'm looking for a philosophy/logic technique that any of us equally should be able to devise.

I realize via technology, going behind this wall of the board, it is quite doable. Pretty straightforward. I've worked in computer networking some...
____

But I was asking if anyone could do it in a bit of a more challenging way. Your & Spendius's idea of literature analysis, body of work, errorr patterns, style, is probably the best we'd have that I can see.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 05:23 pm
This

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1156206#1156206

is a nice bit of site history.

~~~~~~~

It would be fabulous if this site was a big ole money-maker for Craven. He's created a wonderful playground for us.

~~~~~~

EM - we've had threads in the past (here, or was it at Abuzz?) where people posted in different styles and you had to guess who they were mimic(k)ing. It was interesting to see how others perceived our posting styles.

~~~~~~

It's not that hard to spot doubles. Usually id'd through spelling/grammar styles, errors in revealed history, internal consistency checks, that sort of thing.
0 Replies