french sense of humour ;)

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2003 08:25 pm
PARIS (Reuters) - U.S. citizens have turned on French fries and toast to vent their frustration at France's anti-war stance on Iraq (news - web sites). Now the French have joined in the food war -- with pretzels.

A French Web Site is urging people to send pretzels to U.S. President, who fainted and fell off a sofa in January 2002 after gagging on the salty snack.
The Web Site, www.bretzelforbush.com, says the pretzels will be stored at a secret location before being sent to the White House in a historic mass action.
The retaliation follows moves by some in the United States to change the names of French fries and French toast to Freedom fries and Freedom toast.
The pretzels are on sale for seven euros ($7.56) each, with one euro going to a children's charity. So far some 250 euros have been raised for the charity.
"We think that to oppose war is not to be against the American people, but simply against the politics of the Bush administration," the Web Site says
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,161 • Replies: 111
No top replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 01:03 am
hahaha!!!!! I love it, lol!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 09:34 am
That's the way I see it, too. I'm not against the American people or the American Troops, but more than somewhat whiffed about the Bush Admin.
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 09:38 am
I agree, bigdice, and a little comic relief feels good, with what the next few days/months/years will bring the US because of Dubya's arrogant lack of diplomacy.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 11:33 am
Some of us like and support our president and feel we should not be judged in the court of world opinion. You guys all loved that dipstick tailwagger we had for eight years. Wassup with that?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 11:35 am
we aren't very bright
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 11:38 am
Dys, sorry but I'm tired of people bashing Bush and ignoring the real problem - Saddam Hussein's outright snubbing his nose at the U.N.'s resolution to disarm. Continue.
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 11:55 am
There's no question that Saddam is evil, worse than evil. However, for the US to go in with only the British backing us, after having alienated every other potential supporter, is going to bankrupt our country, and possibly destabilize the middle-east. Dubya is way out of his depth. His dad did the job during the Gulf War, with support from everyone that counted, and we didn't have to Sad foot 80% of the bill. At this point I wish Bush 41 were at the helm!!!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 12:04 pm
To those from other lands who seek to reassure us that by opposing George Bush's rush to war -- you are not showing hatred or disrespect for America or its citizens...

...I thank you as one of those citizens.

You really don't have to mention it, though, because it is apparent.

Lots of us oppose George Bush, his handlers, and their simplistic solutions to problems every bit as much as you.

My guess: We'll be rid of him and that motley group surrounding him in our next election -- which comes at the end of next year.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 12:12 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Some of us like and support our president and feel we should not be judged in the court of world opinion.

Question WHy? Is the whole world wrong and unworthy of judging the US actions?!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 12:16 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Dys, sorry but I'm tired of people bashing Bush and ignoring the real problem - Saddam Hussein's outright snubbing his nose at the U.N.'s resolution to disarm. Continue.

And I am tired of people who even now keep on using the argument about "Hussein snubbing his nose at the UN resolution."

Did I miss something, or did a majority of the UN clearly indicate that it believed Hussein was making sufficient progress in complying with the UN resolution to at least warrant the UN inspectors more time? Both the French-German proposal and the "non-aligned" countries' proposal pleaded for more time, not?

Did I miss something, or did the US thereupon decide to not even try to get a UN resolution legalising its proposed war, because it knew that it would never get one - that it would succeed neither in avoiding vetoes nor even in getting a majority of votes? Didn't the US decide to go to war anyway, to hell with what the UN thinks?

So who exactly is "snubbing his nose at the UN"? Come on. That argument is out, now.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 12:34 pm
Nimh

In response to your several questions that began: "Did I miss something or...."...

...NO you didn't miss anything.

But that is all the hawks have to hang their hats on.

I think it is in very poor taste for you to use facts to dispute their arguments.

Have they ever used facts against you?
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 02:00 pm
I think everyone should be able to say what's on their minds and their opinions should be respected regardless of whether they agree or not. I agree to disagree! Simple as that! I can debate and disagree with someone all night and never tell them that their opinion is wrong. They have the right to their opinion as I have the right to mine and I know I'll walk out without having any hard feelings. I respect people's opinions as long as they respect mine. If everyone had the same thoughts and opinions, this world would be a pretty boring place ;-)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 02:05 pm
Frank, nimh. I read your posts with much relief. It feels good to chuckle every now and then, despite the seriousness of the situation and desperate feelings it causes.
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 02:11 pm
Dagmaraka: how right you are about the desperate feelings we're having. When I said I wish Bush 41 were back in offfice, I was expressing a great deal of desperation, because I didn't vote for him, either. Mad
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 02:12 pm
Nimh, I think at this point it comes down to who snubbed first. Clearly there are alot of countries in the UN who have nothing but contempt for the resolutions they put forth years ago. I wonder how this could have happened?

I wonder how Bill Clinton could have failed to act on 1441 for the entire 8 years he was in office, even allowing Saddam to gas the Kurds, his own people, during that time?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 02:23 pm
cjhsa wrote: "I wonder how Bill Clinton could have failed to act on 1441 for the entire 8 years he was in office, even allowing Saddam to gas the Kurds, his own people, during that time?"

Why should Bill Clinton alone act? He is not an international forum, although many seems to confuse the office of American President with just that. I find that upsetting and it worries me.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 02:27 pm
I knew that, gezzy, but thanks for mentioning it again, anyway.
0 Replies

dream2020

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 02:28 pm
There are some folks that haven't really become used to the idea that we are a global community now, that no country should act alone.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 02:35 pm
Yup. Every time any empire attempted it, the history turned to a disastrous path for many nations.
0 Replies