Are we allowed to start threads and/or make posts about video game emulation and torrenting?

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 04:39 pm
Hi. I am curious. Are we allowed to start question and/or discussion threads about video game emulation and/or torrenting, and/or make posts to ask and/or discuss about it? Or is this something that is looked down upon on this site?

Please let me know- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 4,914 • Replies: 102
Topic Closed

chai2

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 05:30 pm
@JGoldman10,
As a christian, why would you want to talk about or do something illegal?
JGoldman10

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 05:50 pm
@chai2,
If I download a video game emulator and roms to play on it, and/or torrent files to use on my PC, who is going to know?

Do you know how expensive software and video games and gaming consoles are?
cherrie

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 06:22 pm
@JGoldman10,
God will know.
0 Replies

chai2

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 06:46 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

If I download a video game emulator and roms to play on it, and/or torrent files to use on my PC, who is going to know?

Do you know how expensive software and video games and gaming consoles are?

So it's ok with your God if it's in the service of you not spending money?

Have you checked with him on this?

God: Yes goldman, it's fine for you to steal someone elses labor. I'll just look the other way.

Cherrie, not only will his God know, more importantly, goldman will know.

And they say atheists are immoral because they don't have some celestial being telling them what to do, and/or watching them.

****. I don't like to do illegal/wrong things because I know it's wrong, even if no one sees or catches me.

So tell me goldie, what's your rationalization for sinning this way? I can't wait to hear.

Just remember though, your God is listening, and watching your keyboard.

Funny. I guess some people really don't know right from wrong, or just don't really care. Beyond of course telling other people how they should behave.
oralloy

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 08:56 pm
Last I knew, only systems that are more than 20 years old have been emulated with any degree of success.

The Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, and TurboGrafx-16 are emulated nearly perfectly.

Emulations of the PlayStation One, Nintendo 64, and Sega Saturn are highly flawed at best. Emulations of newer systems are even worse.

Emulations of 20+ year old systems probably aren't a huge crime. No one is selling those games or those systems anymore. Unless maybe they are part of one of those legacy game libraries.

However, I doubt that the moderators would appreciate a2k hosting a list of links to such emulations (which I assume are officially still under copyright).

If you are somehow pirating modern video games, that wouldn't be cool. Not cool with links on a2k, and not cool with the copyright holders.

As far as torrents go, my understanding is that links to torrents of copyrighted material (pirated movies/TV shows) are a very big no-no on a2k.
Sturgis

Thu 26 Sep, 2019 10:32 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
who is going to know?

You will know!
When you croak and arrive at the gate to heaven, you will be rejected and then he dejected.

You not having financial wherewithal to do certain things, does not make thievery right. There's even a commandment about it: Thou shalt not steal.

You may remember the bible story about the old woman who goes to the temple and gives her last penny. Mark 12:42-44

There are many things I'd like to have. They are not in my financial reach and so I do without. Still, I can be happy because there are many other things which give me pleasure. God does not promise you all that you desire. Some things can easily be yours. Some.will take efforts by you. Some things shall never be yours.

However, all is not lost, if you can find gratitude for each moment of life. Each breath. Each person.

Learn first to fully appreciate what you do have. Family, friends, each and every moment. Just be thankful for what you've got.

...and now some music from William DeVaughn...
0 Replies

cherrie

Fri 27 Sep, 2019 12:04 am
@chai2,
Quote:

Yeah but Goldman doesn't care that he's stealing other people's work, not to mention that he's also stealing money money from these people.
Apparently committing crimes and breaking commandments is only a problem if other people know about it.
jespah

Fri 27 Sep, 2019 05:30 am
@cherrie,
And it's only a problem if other people do it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 27 Sep, 2019 05:35 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

God. God is going to know. According to the fundamental believes of Christians (including you). You bloody hypocrite.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 27 Sep, 2019 05:37 am
@cherrie,
cherrie wrote:

Quote:

Yeah but Goldman doesn't care that he's stealing other people's work, not to mention that he's also stealing money money from these people.
Apparently committing crimes and breaking commandments is only a problem if other people know about it.

Which in turn will be kind of funny (in a hypothetical future way) that if and when Goldman69 creates and publishes his own work? How will he feel if anyone decides to steal his work instead of paying for it?
JGoldman10

Fri 27 Sep, 2019 05:48 am
Chai, Cherrie, Oral and Tsar, I am waiting to hear from JESPAH. Jespah is a A2k staffer here. Apparently she's the only staffer I have seen here on A2k since I came back to this site.

SITE STAFF (MODS AND ADMINS) are the ones qualified to tell patrons what they can and can't do on this site.

Jespah is qualified to address the thread question.
Rebelofnj

Fri 27 Sep, 2019 05:55 am
@JGoldman10,
You could have sent a private message to Jespah (or any other mod) and waited for a response.

If you just make a public thread, then you are inviting other people to answer.
cherrie

Fri 27 Sep, 2019 05:57 am
@tsarstepan,
Given how little he seems to know about creating and producing anything, and how much he procrastinates I doubt that's ever going to be an issue.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Fri 27 Sep, 2019 06:09 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Chai, Cherrie, Oral and Tsar, I am waiting to hear from JESPAH. Jespah is a A2k staffer here. Apparently she's the only staffer I have seen here on A2k since I came back to this site.

SITE STAFF (MODS AND ADMINS) are the ones qualified to tell patrons what they can and can't do on this site.

Jespah is qualified to address the thread question.

Yes. And you already know the answer to your own question. These threads are allowed here. And you already know the answer to whatever questions regarding your hypothetical threads. NO ONE here illegally download games. Gaming threads themselves get little to no activity. I've posted my share of them. You would know ... if you actually ventured out into threads written by other people. You rarely go outside of threads that YOU write yourself.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Fri 27 Sep, 2019 06:17 am
@Rebelofnj,
True, I should have just done that in the first place.

I don't know of any other mods here on able2know besides Jespah.

I know you are new here. There used to be a user here named Butrflynet.
Butrflynet is an admin. Jespah told me she hasn't been back on this site in a long time.
JGoldman10

Fri 27 Sep, 2019 06:20 am
@chai2,
Why are you making this about religion? Why are you dragging religion into this?
tsarstepan

Fri 27 Sep, 2019 06:23 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Why are you making this about religion? Why are you dragging religion into this?

Let him who is without sin among you be the first to cast a stone at [others]. Stealing is a sin, is it not?

((Bloody homophobe!))
JGoldman10

Fri 27 Sep, 2019 06:25 am
@tsarstepan,
Are YOU a Christian? If not, it's not your place to try to tell Christians what to do.
tsarstepan

Fri 27 Sep, 2019 06:26 am
@JGoldman10,
Was born and raised a Methodist. Not ******* relevant here.