Are we allowed to start threads and/or make posts about video game emulation and torrenting?

Rebelofnj

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 02:46 pm
@JGoldman10,
Never watched the show, but I'm aware of it through osmosis.

And I thought you were talking about William Buckley Jr. The wikipedia article (the one I linked) says he is known "for his distinctive idiolect and wide vocabulary."

He has one son, Christopher Buckley.
JGoldman10

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 02:55 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I was getting them mixed up. I meant Chris doesn't act and talk like William.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 02:56 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

My family and I watch the Swaggart family on Sonlife TV. Jimmy, his son Donnie, and Donnie's son Gabriel are all preachers.

Jimmy's wife Francis has a show called Francis and Friends.

FIXED.
0 Replies

chai2

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 03:17 pm
@JGoldman10,
This is William F. Buckley Jr....

The one you claim to be like, except black, and you don't have a good vocabulary or have cohesive thoughts like he did. Other than that, sure, you're so much like William F. Buckley Jr it's uncanny.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ERPQaQ1Gn5U/hqdefault.jpg

This is William F. Buckley's only child, a son, Christopher Buckley....

http://1.gravatar.com/avatar/47f9451bc69c4c66b94d624220ba4653?s=400&d=mm&r=g

He's an author, and knows many big words.
In fact, listening to a couple of his interviews, he sounds quite a bit like his dad, and doesn't hide the fact he's intelligent.

This is Willam F. Buckley Sr. who was a lawyer and oil man, and died in 1958......

https://images.findagrave.com/photos250/photos/2012/187/63303891_134160392989.jpg

mesquite

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 04:23 pm
@JGoldman10,
Back in the 80s Swaggart made a big splash with his fondness of prostitutes. I didn't realize he was still pimping his wares until I saw your post.
chai2

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 04:59 pm
@mesquite,
This god damned (and I do mean god damned, even though the thought of a god is silly at best) guy.

How many drops of tabasco sauce did he have to put in his eyes, and how long did he have to practice to get that crappy "poor me" hitch in his voice just right?

What a ******* circus.
He wasn't sorry for what he did. He's sorry he got caught.

oralloy

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 05:13 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:
But you're not a Christian. You're a CATHOLIC.

Catholics are closer to the original Xtians than Protestants are.
0 Replies

oralloy

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 05:14 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:
Catholics still read the Bible. From my experience, it is usually the King James version of the Bible.

The King James is a Protestant Bible. Why would that be a common choice for Catholics?

For that matter, considering how bad the King James is, why would anyone read it today when there are so many better translations (both Protestant and Catholic)?
oralloy

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 05:15 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:
Roman Catholicism is a CULT.

No more than any other Xtian denomination.

JGoldman10 wrote:
Catholics ask Mary to pray to Jesus for them. The Christian Bible does not say to do that.

So? There are many things in life that are not in the Bible.

Our culture is much poorer today because religious nutcases burned the Library of Alexandria because the texts were not the the Bible or Koran (it is unclear which flavor of religious nutcases burned the Library).

JGoldman10 wrote:
Catholics believe in "Purgatory". The Christian Bible makes no mention of that. Catholics can't even give a definitive explanation of what "Purgatory" is.

Many Protestants believe in the rapture. The Bible says nothing about that.

JGoldman10 wrote:
Catholics have their own version of the Bible in which they have added and taken stuff out of it.

That is incorrect. It is Protestants who radically changed the Bible. Catholics use a relatively unchanged Bible.

The few changes that Catholics have made tend to be due to the influence of Protestants and their even-more-radical changes.

If you want a real proper unchanged Bible, look to Orthodox Xtians.

JGoldman10 wrote:
The Christian Bible says explicitly not to add anything to or take anything away from God's Word:

It's not like the Bible was written by God himself.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 05:29 pm
@mesquite,
And in the early '90s:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Swaggart#Prostitution_scandals

0 Replies

mesquite

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 05:30 pm
@chai2,
Right on Chai. Shortly before his own scandal broke in 1988 he was badmouthing Jim Baker and Marvin Gorman for their moral lapses. That tearful apology happened in 1988, but he was still defrocked by the Assembly of God church. In 1991 he was found with a prostitute in his car during a traffic stop in Indio Ca..
JGoldman10

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 05:33 pm
@chai2,
Oh I don't have a good vocabulary? What's wrong with it? I am not a snob like Buckley was.

I used to spew a lot of highfaluntisms. This was years ago. I have mellowed out since then.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 05:37 pm
@oralloy,
Honestly, that is the Bible I have in my family home. Previously, I never checked if it mattered what version I used.

I have family that use the Reina-Valera Spanish language Bible, and apparently, that one is used by Spanish speaking Catholics, Protestants, and Anglicans
Rebelofnj

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 05:42 pm
@mesquite,
At least the Swaggart scandal inspired this Ozzy Osbourne song

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 05:57 pm
@mesquite,
Again, a lot of famous preachers were caught up in scandals over the years. Who among us hasn't sinned?

Pastor Gene Profeta of Massapequa Tabernacle was caught up in a scandal with Jessica Hahn and Pastor Jim Bakker. This was something that happened 3 decades ago- who cares?

I do not judge church leaders or criticize them- I pray for them.

I don't know if Ms. Hahn is a Christian or not- I hope she is. If she is I hope she asked the Lord to forgive her of her past wrongs and repented of them and moved on.

I am sure Profeta and Bakker prayed and asked the Lord to forgive them of their past wrongs, whatever they did, and repented and moved on.

This is why the Bible says Christians should pray for their leaders.
Rebelofnj

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 06:08 pm
@JGoldman10,
Typically, leaders (religious and secular) should have high morals, as a way to lead by example and so that their followers can be better people.

So, when a married church leader hires a prostitute and takes her to a roadside motel, people tend to disappointed by their leader's hypocritical actions.

As for being in the past, well, no one ever escapes their past.
JGoldman10

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 06:12 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Nonsense. God forgets about your sins after you confess them. He throws them into a sea of forgetfulness (Micah 7:19).
JGoldman10

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 06:15 pm
@Rebelofnj,
The Bible says a pastor is the head of a church, and he is not supposed to lead his flock astray.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 06:16 pm
@JGoldman10,
I never said God will not forgive. He will.

With people, they will bring up past actions and will speculate if you truly changed.

With Swaggart, he asked for forgiveness, then he slept with another prostitute. So people believe he never learned his lesson and lied to God.
JGoldman10

Sat 28 Sep, 2019 06:17 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Bishop Eddie Long was accused of having gay sex with minors. He died a few years ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Long
0 Replies