Contact with exes

ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 11:46 am
I've always thought that your partner was supposed to be your best friend, so I'd have trouble with my partner saying anyone else was their best friend (ex or otherwise).

Saying I'd be hurt would be seriously underplaying how I feel about it.
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 03:23 pm
Ok I should probably redefine this best friend business

I have different best friends for different occasions

I have my Best Friend with capital letters, who goes to boarding school and is away a lot
My best girly mate
My best mate in school, who takes over when Tom is away,
I have my current boyfriend
And I have my ex

My boyfriend is one of my very best friends... but i also need friends for when i need to talk about stuff that i can't talk about with him. Thankfully we've been very good friends since we were 13 years old... so he understands that almost perfectly already - it's not healthy to just rely on one person!

My ex and I went through a LOT together. Saved each others' lives a couple of times. Got each other back on the straight and narrow.

There are some things that current boyfriend cannot and will not ever understand: the mechanics of a mentally unstable mind. And when the wolves are howling at the door... he like many other people understand that nobody but Dickey can explain them away because nobody but him has ever seen the very very worst inside of my crazy mind - explaining it once was bad enough.

We barely talk anymore - best friends is probably a term we should stop using although we still do - and part of that is that unless i am having a relapse, or current boyfriend is having a long-term bleurgh... there's nothing the two of us can;t handle

I should probably also mention that bearing in mind I've only been with current boyfriend since Xmas it's not like we are an incredibly long-term independent thing
0 Replies

tldr

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:41 am
i always talk to my ex's. i ignore them for a while and when they get the hint that i dont want them back they then begin asking if we can be friends. Having an ex to talk to is fairly comforting because they know you, and how you think about things and how you react to certain comments. They know when they have overstepped the mark and they learn when to back down.
Whatever you do though, if you are wanting to be friends with an ex make sure that you dont put across the wrong ideas that makes them think that you want them back. that is all i have to say. i keep in contact with three of my ex's and they are my best friends and are very respecting.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 08:54 am
I think about my exes and wonder how they are doing but rarly make any attempt to contact them or talk to them.
0 Replies