neptuneblue

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 09:15 pm
@Brandon9000,
The Federal Election Campaign Law Section 30121

https://www.fec.gov/resources/cms-content/documents/feca.pdf
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 10:01 pm
@neptuneblue,
This idea that "investigating the Bidens" is an illegal campaign contribution is quite a stretch.

And even if that law was violated, it would be a minor transgression best resolved with a simple fine.
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 10:13 pm
@oralloy,
Yep, that's what will get him impeached.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 10:23 pm
@neptuneblue,
Impeachment for trivial infractions is OK now?

Then the next time a Democratic president is elected, we can impeach them for jaywalking.

They won't even need to be guilty of actual jaywalking. We can just stretch the meaning of jaywalking to cover something that they've actually done.
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 10:25 pm
@oralloy,
Jaywalking is against the law.

No one is above the law.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 10:27 pm
@neptuneblue,
Good. We can begin impeachment proceedings against the next Democratic president as soon as they are sworn into office.
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 10:28 pm
@oralloy,
We'll impeach Trump first, though.

oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 10:30 pm
@neptuneblue,
Don't expect Senate Republicans to go along with the witch hunt.
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 10:36 pm
@oralloy,
Republicans need to decide if following Trump is worth abandoning the Rule Of Law and the Constitution. Let's hope they do the right thing.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 10:38 pm
@neptuneblue,
Leaving Trump in office will not be abandoning the rule of law and the Constitution. It will be supporting the rule of law and the Constitution.

The right thing to do here is to keep supporting the President. Removing a president over a trivial offense that didn't even happen would be obscene.

Not only that, but even if Trump had done something that would have actually warranted removing him from office, since the Democrats left Bill Clinton in office, why would you expect the Republicans to do anything different?
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 10:40 pm
@oralloy,
So, following a law breaker is moral and legal for you.

It's not for the majority of Americans, who aren't above the law or the Constitution.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 10:45 pm
@neptuneblue,
Your claim that Trump broke the law stretches the law to an absurdity. He didn't break the law.

Even if Trump had broken that law, it would only be a trivial offense deserving of a fine.

And spare me the hypocrisy about people not being above the law. Bill Clinton committed actual serious offenses that did warrant removal from office. The Democrats didn't care about the rule of law then.

Even if you had an actual case of real wrongdoing by Trump (and you don't), it would be perfectly reasonable for the Republicans to extend to him the same courtesies that the Democrats extended to Bill Clinton.
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 10:50 pm
@oralloy,
Clinton lied when he said, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman." He got caught, got impeached, was found Not Guilty.

Trump told the truth when he said, "I investigated my political rival because he's better than me." And will get impeached and found GUILTY because, no kidding, that's the truth.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 10:54 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
Clinton lied when he said, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman."

The multiple counts of perjury were bad enough, but don't forget the multiple counts of obstruction and conspiracy to obstruct.

neptuneblue wrote:
He got caught, got impeached, was found Not Guilty.

If you think that committing multiple counts of obstruction and conspiracy to obstruct are worth a not guilty verdict for Bill Clinton, then don't complain when the Republicans hand Trump a not guilty verdict over a trivial offense that he didn't even commit.

neptuneblue wrote:
Trump told the truth when he said, "I investigated my political rival because he's better than me." And will get impeached and found GUILTY because, no kidding, that's the truth.

The Republicans are not going to find him guilty when he did nothing wrong.

After Bill Clinton, they wouldn't even find him guilty if he actually had done something wrong. But as it happens, he hasn't done anything wrong.
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 10:59 pm
@oralloy,
Republicans aren't going to convict because they're chicken shits. That's a given.

So much a farce for "moral and legal" standing for them.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 11:03 pm
@neptuneblue,
That is incorrect. They are not going to convict because Trump did not do anything wrong.

If Trump had done something wrong, the Republicans would not convict because the Democrats refused to convict Bill Clinton.

But anyway, now that it's clear that the Republicans are not going to convict Trump, let's lay the groundwork for impeaching the next Democratic president as soon as they take office.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 11:03 pm
@oralloy,
Abusinf the power of his office for personal gain,witholding desperately needed aid to a client state tohawt ould protect them from Russian aggression to get them to investigate an innocent political rival for your personal gain, are not exactly trivial, nor are Democrats mounting a witch hunt.
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 11:06 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
But anyway, now that it's clear that the Republicans are not going to convict Trump, let's lay the groundwork for impeaching the next Democratic president as soon as they take office.

If that person is as stupid as Trump, I'm all for it.
oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 11:15 pm
@neptuneblue,
Their intellect doesn't matter. What will matter is that they are a Democrat.

We need to start impeaching Democratic presidents, and keep on impeaching them over and over again. Even if they are not removed from office, we can tie up their presidency with impeachment battles so they don't get anything done. And maybe we'll be able to remove some of them from office.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 9 Oct, 2019 11:17 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Abusinf the power of his office for personal gain,witholding desperately needed aid to a client state tohawt ould protect them from Russian aggression to get them to investigate an innocent political rival for your personal gain, are not exactly trivial,

If trying to get your rivals investigated is an abuse of power, then it's time to haul all the progressives off to jail for trying to get Trump investigated.

And feigning concern about the fate of Russia's victims is pretty silly. Where was all of this progressive concern when Russia was launching their invasion of Georgia and Ukraine?

MontereyJack wrote:
nor are Democrats mounting a witch hunt.

That is incorrect. Abusing the law to harm people who disagree with them is very much a witch hunt.