What is the worthiest single trait human beings possess?

boomerang

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 09:23 am
I think tact differs from compassion in that compassion really requires the desire to relive another's suffering

Tact doesn't really have anything to do with emotion although it requires that one be sensitive to the emotions or opinions of another and to think before acting or speaking.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 01:02 pm
spendius wrote:
"Worthy",which is the title,and it isn't mine, has a component of value.

A worthy action is an action which has value to others.Others being,in the last analysis,human kind.

A worthy action can have no thought of a return value.

The single most valuable thing to human kind is the ageing process and the ultimate demise of the individual.That is not only obvious but painfully so and,on a philosophy thread,we cannot shirk the painful for fear of undermining the meaning of the word 'philosophy' and,by extension,the very language itself.That would be unworthy if it is assumed that human kind needs purity of language which not everybody would assume.

Stendahl once remarked that we are all going to pass away and thus it is boring and best forgotten about and the way to forget about it is to maintain good cheer.Hence his wit.

There are dangers with words like "love" or "compassion" and a range of others of a similar nature.They may well be strategies.They often are.
They might even be nets or snares and self serving.

Wit is simply an attempt to maintain good cheer in rather desperate circumstances and with true wit love and compassion are taken for granted.A truly witty person has love and compassion built in and worn so lightly that they are hardly visible,if at all.

Philosophers,fiendish beings though they may be,indeed have to be,think in extremes.They might imagine being shot at dawn for example as a useful metaphor for life itself.In answering the question posed by the title of this thread over a glass of port or somesuch after a fine dinner they could well come to the conclusion that they would prefer witty company to love or compassion both of which are likely to render them even more miserable.

How often have we seen James Bond,say,in the direst need of love and compassion opt for wit.And we have flocked in our millions to see it.It is a portrayal,not a very good one I would say,designed to offer a cheerful approach under stress as catharsis for a public self evidently a trifle tired of other values.

So I would vote for wit every time and were I to be before the firing squad at dawn I would have the wits for company especially if they were all being shot alongside me.

When the first vulture alighted on the top of the cross to which Spendius was fastened he turned his face-
"towards Autaritus,and said slowly to him with an unaccountable smile:
'Do you remember the lions on the road to Sicca?'"

Spendius,

Hear hear!

You are in the zone here, sir.

I don't say this easily--I'll divulge under threat of spurious attack that I've been indolent enough to sit through enough endless discussions on literature to attain various sundry educational degrees in that field. I've suffered through my share of prose, whether it be classical, neo-classics, modernism, postmod whatever, blah blah ad infinitum.

S, Whatever you did to write this, keep doing that, when you write. You took it to another level, and all I can say is bravo.

Muse: meet Spendius.

I did not agree with your "Wit" answer initially, but by the end of reading your piece above, I was floating in a cloud of it, considering it.

Get off your rear and start publishing some works. Are you working toward that? Why not? Get thee to a fashioner of books of letters. Seriously.

For those who may not have got this post (as some have mentioned above), try re-reading it. Clearly on its own individual level, whether you agree with its point or not.

Question is: Is it original?
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 01:06 pm
Compassion is it, no doubt.
____

However:

Would it not be the most dreadful of existences to just hang around being utterly flat, serious, halo above your head: compassionate?

Would that be a sort of hell?

This sounds almost like a new thread. Is a boring compassionate world a sort of hell?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 01:33 pm
Perception - "characterized by sympathetic understanding an/or insight. " The ability to see and comprehend not only with the eyes but with the heart and mind (I guess this would encompass empathy as well).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 06:17 pm
I am liking several answers, including as I said earlier, wit, which I think is either an expression of or a function of perspective - and to have perspective one must have empathy, which in turn begets compassion. Sacrifice is an action befitting perspective, and perspective is a positioning of perceptions. Lots of eggs and chickens.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 06:22 pm
I see no eggs or chickens, only feathers. Wink
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 06:28 pm
A way to measure "value" for the lack of a better word without that most other descriptions have no meaning
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 06:29 pm
Setanta wrote:
Self-sacrifice . . . what Lincoln called "the last full measure of devotion . . . "

No greater love hath any man than this, that he will lay down his life for his brother.

yes because I know the value of sacrifice
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 08:12 pm
I said love, but I really feel dogs are much better at it.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 09:51 pm
Taliesin181 wrote:

Eorl: Language? Interesting choice. Why?

Language seems to be the thing that has allowed our ability to communicate and co-operate to the amazing degree that we have so far. No one person can even build a 747, let alone evacuate an island about to be hit by a Category 5 storm.

Language is the one thing that has allowed us to escape the cave.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 10:12 pm
I have watched a lot of women post about sacrifice in marriage, over and over. I am not opposed to sacrifice, but am no fan of routine self immolation. Not to construct other's posts that way, but some fit.

Sacrifice by itself is perhaps an act beyond the pale, and also possibly self aggrandizingly manipulative behavior, or a dramatized step to self deigned sainthood. Or... all of those.

So - I am not anti sacrifice, but I don't think it is - in every case - the highest act.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 02:36 am
ossobuco wrote:
I have watched a lot of women post about sacrifice in marriage, over and over. I am not opposed to sacrifice, but am no fan of routine self immolation.

Whew. a wicked turn of phrase, O. Can I use your last sentence to at cocktail parties and such? :wink:
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 03:35 am
If you do EM you will find yourself denied the company of the higher sort of Lady who don't care to waste their time on ditherers.

I'm the same myself actually.I prefer the lower sort of Lady.But even they,if they are not really,really low soon get ideas about raising their status.Never tell them how much money you have or might come to have.That can inflame their passions.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 03:42 am
Hey, the next time someone tells you that you should do some weird crap, just try it, its guaranteed to work one time:

"I'm all for self-sacrifice darling. But I'm not into routine self-immolation."

Fine, don't use it. Its my motto of the week. er, day
___
Women & telling them how much money you have. Well, I yes, I won't touch that for now. I had pages to write on that one, but it can wait for another time. I hear you though. They say we're shallow but all I know is they rejected when I was deep and ascetic and homeless and long hair and no money and did routinely self-immolate and was actually a better deeper person in the forest, but when I got shallow and have money and house and nice cars and correct hairstyle and shallow charm and idiot shallow smile, they like that. Yet we men are said to be the shallow. Hmmmmm....just smile and don't self-immolate

So the upshot of all that drivel is: Perhaps another worthy human trait is:

The ability to forgive. Forgiveness.

I forgive everyone. Now if I could only Forgive myself. Ya know?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:17 am
That is such a sexist remark spendius and one should
wack you over the head for this one. Evil or Very Mad

I should think, women nowadays have enough money
to support themselves as being made the beneficiary
of the few pennies her leading man has accumulated.

extra, forgive is one thing, forgetting another Wink
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:34 am
CJ:-

I wasn't referring to the higher type of Lady actually and I was only trying to comfort EM.

Or get him started on the right track.

I know English is your second language so I thought it advisable to correct your spelling mistake.It is "whack!!".I presume you can see how much better that looks.You could have "wacky whack whacking" if that's even better at your end.
One of those usually works for corrective purposes I have been told.

I didn't realise you peeked in on this men talk or I would never have uttered such an absolutely and unutterably crass bloomer.

Thank you for your forgiveness.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:38 am
...but I won't forget Wink

Thank you for the correction. I might have thought of
a wack who needs a whack Laughing
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:47 am
C.J.

You forgot the exclamation marks.They add ooomph! don't you think.

Whack!!

See?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 08:53 am
Yes, I used an emoticon instead to show you that I am not
seriously suggesting you're one.

I'll reconsider though - wacko!!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 8 Jun, 2005 10:12 am
you folks are just wacko!!!!