Affect vs. Effect.

Clary

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2004 01:59 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
To produce a change in, To influence, to have an effect on?

I don't know where the definition of "affect" came from but the dictionary definition is (and it has nothing to do with influence or change):

af·fect2 v. -tr. af·fect·ed, af·fect·ing, af·fects. 1. To put on a false show of; simulate: affected a British accent. See Synonyms at pretend. 2. a. To have or show a liking for: affects dramatic clothes. b. Archaic. To fancy; love. 3. To tend to by nature; tend to assume: a substance that affects crystalline form. 4. To imitate; copy: "Spenser, in affecting the ancients, writ no language" (Ben Jonson). -af·fecter n.

Ha! I see a case of definition 2 being preferred over 1 - look again in that dictionary Lightwizard and look at affect1!
0 Replies

Laptoploon

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 04:05 am
Inquire and enquire?

Years ago I was transferred to a different office and the first thing I came across was the sign "INQUIRIES"

Having that sign removed was my first task. Other than "forever" I was unable to establish how long it had been there.
0 Replies

jobsaw

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 09:13 pm
...to what effect I have been affected...remains to be clarified! ?? Question
0 Replies

hiyall

Reply Fri 27 Aug, 2004 09:43 pm
Saruis said:
"There is absolutely no fuss here ladies and gentlemen.
To-may-toes, to-mah-toes and po-ta-toes.
They're all the same.
They all have toes...."

Not downchere, Sarious (you ain' really sarious about thatere name, is you?). We got ta-mat-ers and pa-tat-ers, and iffin you try to effect any change on us, it ain't agonna affect us'ns atall. Sides, everbody knows taters (pardon my abbreviation) have EYES, not TOES! Laughing
0 Replies

bashtoreth

Reply Sun 17 Oct, 2004 12:20 am
Re: Affect vs. Effect.
Douglas wrote:
Quote:
The commonest meanings of Affect (a verb never a noun) are:
To produce a change in, To influence, to have an effect on.

[
Quote:
Effectis both a noun and a verb. As a verb it means: 'To accomplish,'to achieve,' To bring about,'To result in';

Quote:
Effect as a noun, 'That which is produced by an agent or cause,' a conseqence of, An impression left on the mind

Well if this doesn't clearify the issue then nothing will.

Thanks for the Posts.
Keep them comming...
Laughing

wow. This is really effecting me badly. How am I supposed to affect a change now?
0 Replies

benconservato

Reply Tue 16 Nov, 2004 01:41 pm
here's another for you:
eating offal is awful
(get a French person to say that...)

There is this really good "poem" in a book by John Mann called "Alpha Beta" that I wish I has with me outlining the craziness of the English language and pronounciations compared to spelling. Wish I has access to that book now.
0 Replies

momof6

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 07:02 pm
@Anonymous,
original post, just to clear it up for others that do not do well with dictionaries:

The special effects affected the popularity of the film.

0 Replies

spookyone

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:09 pm
@Anonymous,
Both affect and effect are both noun and verb. The noun "affect" refers to one's emotional appearance. Psychologists often refer to one's affect. Schizophrenics often display flat affect, their faces and body language failing to display emotion. I think the other three (effect as noun and verb and affect as verb) have already been ably covered.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 01:27 pm
@spookyone,
camlok

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2017 03:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
Do you post her as a joke?
0 Replies