Would it be dumb to try to take my own stitches out?

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 07:49 pm
It's been a long time since I've had stitches and this time I only have one tiny little stitch with a dinky little thread.

I'm thinking it would be easier to just take it out myself than go to the doctor to have it done. But if I recall correctly, it kind of hurts when they take the stitches out.

I've got a few days to decide.

Whadda ya think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 18,294 • Replies: 28
No top replies

George

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 07:59 pm
I've done it.
It didn't hurt, but it felt weird as the thread slipped through.
I got a scolding from the doctor, though.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:06 pm
I figured I could numb it with some ice or something first to negate any pain or weirdness.

How did the doctor know?

I had to make an appointment for a "nurse assist" to have the stitch removed so the doctor would probably never even know who did it.

Did you get scolded because there is some weird infection risk or something though?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:17 pm
it isnt a bad idea at all.
Do you know how?

Would you like me to tell you the easiest way?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:17 pm
Are you sure that it isn't the desolving kind of stitch?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:21 pm
I doubt it's the desolving kind since they had me make an appointment.

I figured just cut the thread and yank it out by the knot with some hemostats (I think I may have those around here but I'll have to look a bit).

Is there an easier way?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:23 pm
I just wondered because I had some surgery on my arm years ago and I was to go back in 10 days for the doctor to check it. He said it was healing ok...his nurse was going to take them out and look puzzled. She went to speak to the doctor and he told her that he used both regular and disolving. She took out the regular and the rest desolved on their own. They usually want to see you to ensure there is no infection and that it is healing properly.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:25 pm
Would you still go in to have it looked at?

I imagine that at least part of the appointment is just seeing how it looks, whether there are signs of... I dunno, I'm not a doctor... something bad.

If you took it out yourself and then had it looked at I'd feel better about it, but if you do that, why not just keep the appointment to have them take it out?

- signed, way more paranoid since I became a mom -- though usually on the behalf of others.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:25 pm
hehe.. i was going to suggest just that!

If you dont have any, use nail clippers. As you said, just on one side of the knot.
To reduce the tingle of pain, place a warm rag on the area first for about 10 minutes.

If you notice :

Thick green drainage,
( thick like pudding ! this would stand out to you so dont worry... )
The skin seperating,
Hard lumps
or red lines around the wound, let your doc do it.

Other then that...
yank away sistah!! Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:26 pm
Ah, Intrepid had the same idea.

I just worry that there are non-obvious signs. I'm a doctor skeptic, but usually in the area of second-guessing, not self-diagnosing.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:27 pm
Good point about the proper healing.

The last time I remember having stitches they had to cut the stitches out because the skin had grown over them. Apparently, I heal really fast.

Disolving stitches sound like a nice idea. I wish they'd used those.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:28 pm
I would say that if you thought it important enough to see a doctor to stitch it...see the doctor to finish the job. Otherwise, you may have well gone at it with fishing line and a needle Laughing
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:30 pm
how long have you had these stitches?
how many do you have?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:33 pm
I think she said just one stitch.

For just one stitch, I'd do it myself, then dab some antibiotic cream on it, slap a bandage on it and call it good.

Like shewolf said, though, if anything looks funny about it, by all means see the doctor.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:34 pm
T'was the doctor that suggested the cutting, if I'd cut myself I probably would have washed it out and superglued it!

Like I said, I'll be seeing the doctor again most likely, just not for stitch removal or on that day.

Fingernail clippers? Wouldn't that cut the thread as you tugged?

Thanks for the tip on the warm rag. I would have used ice. Maybe a shot of whiskey. Good to know.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:39 pm
It is just one stitch and it's dinky that's why I thought of doing it myself and saving myself the hassle of going in to have it done.

They were put in last Wednesday and they're to come out next Wednesday.

It is right by my temple and the doc commented that there are a lot of blood vessels there so it should heal nice. I don't want to try to take it out and make a big mess of it and then have to go in to show off what an idiot I can be -- that's why I'm asking.

The nurse there that day did say something to the effect that if I knew a nurse she could probably do it for me. I do know a near-nurse but she's way busy and I don't really want to bother her with it.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:44 pm
use nail clippers to snip the thread in half.
sorry.. should have been more specific..

then just pull the thread with tweezers, or your fingernails.

Dont use alcohol to clean the wound... that is only for drinking ;-)

Use peroxide, or as Eva said, some antibiotic cream.
The only reason docs ask you to come in and have them pull them out is so they can look for the things I mentioned above on the strings when they pull them out themselves.

The probability of you having a bad infection is pretty low with just one stitch. You would notice it by now if things were going bad. Actually.. you would smell it by now.. Infections under the skin and at a site with stitches, stink to high hell!!!!

I look at it this way,

25 bucks ( more or less ) for your co-pay for the doc to snip a stitch ?
ppppbbbtthhh.. keep the money snip 'em yourself so long as there are no apparent problems.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 08:51 pm
Thanks for the advice. I really didn't want to pay to have it taken out and it sounds pretty easy.

If I start getting chicken I might ask the near-nurse to do it for me (she graduates from nursing school next weekend!)

It seems to be healing really well and it doesn't stink so I'll probably try the DIY method.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 10:46 pm
I've done it before, without problems, and would do it again. Yet, if you have to see the doc again, I doubt it would cost extra. Probably included in the original charge.

Now, when they stuck me together with staples. . . .
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 11:20 pm
Boomer--

Stitches from injury--me, other people or animal--I do my self providing there are no signs of infection.

Surgical stitches I leave to professionals.

Roger--

Surgical staples? I salvaged a surgical staple remover from a hospital wastebasket after my hysterectomy. (On the fifth day the doctor removed every other staple). I didn't do a DIY--but I've saved the gadget.

One Never Knows.
0 Replies