Did I lead him on?

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 07:26 pm
I've been friends with this guy for about 6 months now - we met in the computer lab at the law faculty. He was talking to one of our mutual friends, and then he asked me for a scissors - and that's how we got to know each other.

Our morning timetable was very similar, so chances were, I'd see him at the computer lab every morning on a Monday and a Wed - and we would talk and do our work. It was just nice chit chat - so what are your lecturers like, how are you finding the study… He always acted very aloof towards me, as though I was just some study freak, always in the computer rooms. Which I am.

Six weeks later, he had a debating competition to go to one night and since I have done debating before, I was helping him - what to say, what to do if the adjudicator… blah blah blah. And I remember he was, that day, very funny, very talkative to me. Usually we would have polite chats but that day, he acted like I was his best friend. I asked him - why are you so … I don't know, excited today? And he said that he was just nervous about that night's debate.

Fair enough.

So he had the debate and the location was near where I was working my night shift. He came up just when I had just finished my break and said "we lost", punched the air with a fist and grinned. I laughed at that. Then I asked him how and he explained why. He got caught up with a few friends just then so I turned away and was sitting at the reception desk while the receptionist (my supervisor) had her break. He and his friends were chatting very fervently, clearly about the debate and for some reason, he kept turning to look my way - positively staring at me, eventually.

I gave him a smile at the first few glances, but after a while, it felt weird, so I just decided to avoid eye contact. But he kept looking and looking at me, with a faint smile on his face.

We didn't see each other much after that time, but when we did, he would always come over and have a chat with me - and the chats became more and more friendly - he asked about my family, what I intended to do in the future.

Three weeks later: I was in the computer room around the afternoon and he suddenly came in, which surprised him as he had told me that morning he was going home before 12. He came over to where I was and I said "Hi, I thought you had gone home." And he said, "Ohhh, so you think about me do you?"

I said "No, just that it's strange you're still here." There was a pause, he sat down next to me, and then suddenly said: Do you want to go to the end of semester university celebration with me? And, by his tone, it was clearly a date - he was asking me out. And I was so shocked, so surprised, it was all so sudden that I just said: "No!"

I always thought of him as a friend - I thought it weird that he suddenly became so friendly these days, but never did it cross my mind he was interested in me that way: more that he appreciated my help in the debate. He looked taken aback: it was clearly a slap in the face for him; and then said coldly "fine". And I wanted to be polite, so I asked him "are you going?" (Stupid question, I know - but please, what situation was I in then??) And he said "yeahhhh." And then of all the dumbest things I could have done, I said, "You look like the kind who would go."

"That's being too critical." He almost snapped at me, then left. I get the idea he was mad not because of my comment but because I fully rejected him. But I didn't lead him on did I? He's a nice guy, I don't want to let him think I was playing hard to get or anything, because I wasn't.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,382 • Replies: 31
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 09:23 pm
Nah, you didn't lead him on.

And congrats on shooting him down. He sounds like he's as interesting and fun as a bucket of battery acid being thrown in the face.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 09:25 pm
*chuckle*

Well, thank you that makes me feel abit better. Cool
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 09:42 pm
Glad you feel better.

You damn TEASER!
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 11:30 pm
Don't you realise men only put up with women because there is always the possibility that we will see you topless or end up in a no strings attached sexual relationship. He didn't want to be your friend, he wanted to get you into the sack!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 11:33 pm
pragmatic--

No, you didn't lead him on intentionally.

You assumed you weren't a woman-for-his-man. He didn't make the same assumption.

I've done that. Nice girls don't realize that concentrated, sincere listening can be an aphrodisiac.

If you could be interested in this guy, tell him you're sorry.

If he's a Male Friend, just continue being friendly.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 11:46 pm
Noddy24 wrote:

Here's a test! Tell him that there's no chance that he'll ever have sex with you. I bet you'll never see him again. And if he's ok with that and he sticks around, you've got a friend, maybe...
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 08:40 pm
I don't think you led him on at all.

The comment re: "you look like the type that would go" to the thing after you told him you didn't want to go, ...that seems a little unecessary or mean or something.

I mean, just reverse the situation:
You ask a guy to some event. He says "no thanks." Then he says to you "you look like the type that would go to that."

How does that make you feel?

I mean no way you led him on. But I'd avoid making that other comment, I mean guys have feelings too

unless you really don't give a damn, in that case whatever
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 10:43 pm
They're right, pragmatic. You did not lead him on, and the "you look like the type. . ." was unnecessary. Well, you were caught by surprise, and it slipped out.

It is one helluva deal, though, when a girl can't treat a guy like a human being without being thought available.

Bad situation, but I can defend him too. If I had an easy, friendly relationship with a girl, I might well ask her out if I didn't have reason to think she were married or something. Dang it, you can't just keep trying the hostile ones.
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 12:22 am
roverroad wrote:
Noddy24 wrote:

Here's a test! Tell him that there's no chance that he'll ever have sex with you. I bet you'll never see him again. And if he's ok with that and he sticks around, you've got a friend, maybe...

No, that just means that he's gay.
0 Replies

ConstitutionalGirl

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 03:58 am
You certa led him on, but he should of expected a no from you. If he expected a yes, he probably was not listening to you much, and did a whole lot of fantasizing between conversations.

I never get that much attention, when I'm friendly with boys like that.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 02:39 am
Oh, wow, mixed opinions here, but yes, I defintely agree that I should not have added the last comment - I regreted it immediately. As I said, I was suprised, I've never been in such a situation before I didn't know what to say.

And of course, I know guys have feelings as well - my brother just broke up with his girlfriend.

I haven't seen him lately because exams have kept me home but I intend, as soon as uni starts again, to say a big sincere sorry to him. I think that's the only way to get things going again.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 02:52 am
roverroad wrote:
Don't you realise men only put up with women because there is always the possibility that we will see you topless or end up in a no strings attached sexual relationship.

*Shudder...* Ughhh, I don't even want to think about it! Confused
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 02:23 am
roger wrote:
They're right, pragmatic. You did not lead him on, and the "you look like the type. . ." was unnecessary. Well, you were caught by surprise, and it slipped out.

It is one helluva deal, though, when a girl can't treat a guy like a human being without being thought available.

Bad situation, but I can defend him too. If I had an easy, friendly relationship with a girl, I might well ask her out if I didn't have reason to think she were married or something. Dang it, you can't just keep trying the hostile ones.

Yeah, of course it's fine to ask someone out just for the hell of it because you have a friendly relationship. The problem comes in when guys get all weird when you say no. I have had that experience, and it's not fun. If you decide to ask me out, then don't act like a jerk after I say no! I know a guy who still acts aloof to me after asking me out about a year ago (despite knowing that I had a boyfriend). Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 04:55 pm
dora17 wrote:
I know a guy who still acts aloof to me after asking me out about a year ago (despite knowing that I had a boyfriend). Rolling Eyes

That must have been really awkward. Shocked
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 07:05 pm
it's pretty silly. I think guys tend to be a bit immature about it when you turn them down. If you ask, well, be prepared to deal with 'no.' I've asked guys out and gotten turned down--well, once Wink -- and I was still friendly to them afterward!
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 07:26 pm
dora17 wrote:
it's pretty silly. I think guys tend to be a bit immature about it when you turn them down. If you ask, well, be prepared to deal with 'no.' I've asked guys out and gotten turned down--well, once Wink -- and I was still friendly to them afterward!

Right. Guys tend to be immature.

Awesome. And women tend to be _________ ? What?

All I know is guys aren't the ones putting paint on their face to look better, and plastic parts in their body for more attention.

When the guy turned you down, did he say: "No. You look like someone that would go to that." ??

How would you have felt about that?
0 Replies

Snowlock

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 09:51 pm
Speaking from experience, I myself have asked a few women out on a date because I wanted to get to know them better. Seemed like a good idea... seeing as we would always conversate, but none of them accepted...

You certainly did not lead him on... us guys have a way of misunderstanding friendship with possible interest sometimes...

Don't worry about it, but you should consider apologizing for the rather rude comment.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 10:56 pm
extra medium wrote:
dora17 wrote:

Right. Guys tend to be immature.

Awesome. And women tend to be _________ ? What?

All I know is guys aren't the ones putting paint on their face to look better, and plastic parts in their body for more attention.

When the guy turned you down, did he say: "No. You look like someone that would go to that." ??

How would you have felt about that?

I will fill in that blank with: "shallow" Smile Not saying women are perfect, extramed, I just have noticed that guys (SOME guys) seem to feel that you're a bitch if you say no to them. Women, god knows, have zillions of their own less-than-charming traits. And yes, her subsequent comment sounds a bit weird... But I wasn't addressing that part of the situation. Just commenting on the part I had personal observations about.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 12:49 am
Oh, I see--I think I understand and see where you're coming from.

Yeah, and we've discussed some of this before.

I mean its hard being a guy sometimes too. Perhaps she really likes you as a friend, and you never know until you ask her if she wants to go out or something. And from the females I've talked to, they usually expect us to do all the asking.

So sometimes we're damned if we do, damned if we don't (some women get irritated that you don't ask them out--I've had that before).

But in any event, yes its immature and wrong if the guy gets weird after being turned down if no insults were made in the answer.
0 Replies