The deal with Jacques Cousteau and explosives

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 02:46 pm
Jacques Cousteau was a world-famous oceanographer, marine biologist and conservationist. That being said, why did he use explosives? How did using explosives help the marine animal species he was supposed to be studying and conserving?

This sounds like the workings of a mad man.

Did he ever get fined for using explosives and killing innocent marine animals?

Did he ever endanger any animal species because he used explosives?

On a side note, did he ever study and work with land animals?

I am curious- please help. Thank you.

farmerman

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 03:13 pm
@JGoldman10,
was he using geophysics charges?? I know he took part in some seismic stuff before we had more sensitive equipment like air cannons and waay more sensitive detectors.

J Cousteau was prt of the early days of research, weve learned a lot ince the 1950's
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 09:30 pm
@farmerman,
I don't know about geophysics charges, but I read somewhere he throw dynamite at fish:

https://film.avclub.com/jacques-cousteau-throws-dynamite-at-fish-in-the-first-d-1798257910

In a scene from Silent World, Cousteau and his crew used dynamite underwater, reasoning that studying the collection of corpses that came floating to the surface was the most reliable way of surveying the local ecosystem.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 09:50 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I don't know about geophysics charges, but I read somewhere he threw dynamite at fish:

https://film.avclub.com/jacques-cousteau-throws-dynamite-at-fish-in-the-first-d-1798257910

In a scene from Silent World, Cousteau and his crew used dynamite underwater, reasoning that studying the collection of corpses that came floating to the surface was the most reliable way of surveying the local ecosystem.

-FIXED.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 04:20 am
@JGoldman10,
didnt know about that. If tue it kinda dim thinking if we want to maintain a pristine seafloor.

I never know what to blieve about stuff I see in the internet.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 04:46 am
@JGoldman10,
From what I can gather on the incident - it seems this was done early in his career and he "Cousteau later became more environmentally conscious, involved in marine conservation."

In his own words - As for Cousteau, he said he acted like a “pasha who didn’t know his port from his starboard”.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 02:14 pm
@Linkat,
So he was still wet behind the ears when he was using explosives.
(No pun intended.)
Linkat

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 03:02 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

So he was still wet behind the ears when he was using explosives.
(No pun intended.)

That and the fact during that time they did not have the same understanding that we do know. The positive is that he and others have learned since then - they were unaware of many destructive behaviors that they did in the name of science and to help the environment.

This is a great read not too long and kinds of sums up what went on then due to ignorance.

https://www.simplyscuba.com/blogs/blog/jacques-yves-cousteau-the-dynamiting-conservationist
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 01:46 am
@Linkat,
Did Cousteau and his crew ever get fined and/or penalized for using explosives, and for killing and abusing animals, and for harming the ecosystem? They sure should have been.

No one is answering this question:

Did Cousteau ever study and/or work with land animals?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 02:54 am
@JGoldman10,
I never liked Cousteau, but this has changed my mind. I think we should blow up a lot more things. If Cousteau had blown up Jaws he wouldn't have killed all those people and made all those films.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 02:56 am
@JGoldman10,
I doubt anyone knows the answer. Most of us were unaware of the explosives until you posted this, so we're not going to know the repercussions.

Although I would imagine that if he had been fined or penalised in any way your original article would have mentioned it.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 05:50 am
@izzythepush,
Did you ever meet him?
izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 05:55 am
@JGoldman10,
Who, Cousteau or Jaws?
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 06:14 am
@izzythepush,
Cousteau. Jaws is a fictional character.
Linkat

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 06:22 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Did Cousteau and his crew ever get fined and/or penalized for using explosives, and for killing and abusing animals, and for harming the ecosystem? They sure should have been.

No one is answering this question:

Did Cousteau ever study and/or work with land animals?

I doubt he got fined or anything - at that time people did not have the same knowledge as they do now so it sounds like it was "normal" to do studies like this. I was reading that he used to break a piece of coral off a reef and show it to the camera and pack it away to study it. Since then most even the average person knows not to even touch a reef as it is a living thing and even touching it can cause great harm. Maybe much of his harmful studies ended up being a result of us knowing what we know now.

The older Cousteau would not do and would actually campaign against doing many of the things he did when he was younger.

When he was younger than was never even a major such as environmental science - now it is a major offered at most colleges and a big industry.

As far as the study of land animals - I never heard of it - but it should be an easy look up on the internet if you are really interested.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 08:20 am
@Linkat,
I was trying to find out if he studied and/or worked with land animals in Internet searches. I haven't found anything yet.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 08:23 am
@izzythepush,
I didn't even know Cousteau used explosives until I heard this song:

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 08:37 am
@JGoldman10,
I've not met either of them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 7 Sep, 2019 09:24 pm
Another moronic query by Goldman. Leaving aside the dubious authority of **** you find on the interwebs, Coueteau and his companions developed the aqualung during the occupation of France. There was a whole hell of a lot of much worse explosions going off in the Bay of Biscay in 1943 and 1944.

One could be readily forgiven for coming to the conclusion that you are a moron. The internet is a piss-poor source of information. Try reading books, after getting a good education.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 8 Sep, 2019 04:29 pm
@Setanta,
And you wonder why you're blocked. How is my thread "moronic"? I am holding a discussion about Jacques Cousteau.

Don't be such a judgmental prude.

I never professed to be an expert on history. That was not one of my fortes when I was in school. I went to school for animation over 2 decades ago.
0 Replies