Pentagon: "Ok, ok... Some soldiers DID disgrace the Koran"

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 01:00 pm
Either/both.

Where did the information come from that the detainee retracted his story? How can you be sure it is reliable?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 01:01 pm
Re: Stopping and Disciplining
engineer wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

What's useful is trying to understand certain members here who crow with delight about everything any American might have done wrong, any setback or difficulty our troops may be experiencing, frequently attribute conspiracies and lying schemes to Americans, but seem utterly disinterested in immensely worse behavior on the other side. I mean just that, no more no less. I am not implying that people on our side who behave disgracefully shouldn't be stopped and disciplined.

I expect there to be disgraceful behavior in time of war. That behavior is within the realm of human experience and will surface given the opportunity. What I do not except is the unwillingness of our government to stop and discipline those responsible. When the Red Cross notifies us that abuses are occuring in November and honest soilders are risking their careers reporting abuses to their superiors in January I expect action before the photos are all over the news in March. I expect real investigations instead of limited investigations by officers with insufficient rank to question the right people. I want to know why torture equipment seems so readily available that bored, night shift guards can easily set it up. I expect and demand that my government do that. I'm not disinterested in the heineous practices of other countries and organizations, I just think that it is not an excuse that explains misconduct done in my name.

It seems to me that the people connected, for instance, with the Abu Graib malfeasances have been disciplined severely, as they certainly should have been. Do you believe that these bad acts are more numerous or wose in nature than the bad acts committed by American interrogators in previous wars? They are certainly deplorable, and they must be stopped, but are they unusual?

If a person on this board who lives in one of the allied countries of World War 2 talked about that war from time to time, but solely about American transgressions, real and conceivable, was full of talk of possible conspiracies by FDR and Churchill, yet never acknowledged that Hitler and Mussolini were doing a few bad things, nor appeared to feel the tiniest loyalty to the allies, that would be a very strange thing.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 01:04 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Either/both.

Where did the information come from that the detainee retracted his story? How can you be sure it is reliable?

Cycloptichorn

Here is some "evidence" to add to the "zero evidence" you claim exists ...

Quote:
The now-retracted Newsweek story refers to a detainee who claimed during interrogation that guards at the facility beat detainees and flushed a Koran down a toilet.

But Hood said the detainee told the recent military investigators a different story. The detainee said, "no, that he wasn't beaten or abused, but that he had heard rumors that other detainees were," Hood said. "We then proceeded to ask him about any incidences where he had seen the Koran defiled, desecrated or mishandled, and he allowed as how he hadn't," Hood emphasized. "But he had heard guards -- that guards at some other point in time had done this.

"(The detainee) went on to describe to his interrogator that that was a problem that was only in the old camp," Hood said. "I believe he meant referring to Camp X-Ray."

Camp X-Ray was a temporary facility used when detainees were first brought to Guantanamo Bay in early 2002. More suitable holding facilities were opened in April 2002.

Link.

Unlike you, I don't think everything the present Administration says is a lie.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 01:27 pm
Okay. You know as well as I do that the gov't has lied or mislead people, in this administration and past ones, time and time again. If I asked you for a list of clinton lies and coverups I've no doubt you could produce some for me; but the Military is the same as then.

What makes you think that any major gov't organization such as this can successfully self-monitor themselves? Especially in a case such as this? There is no objective reason for them to tell the truth, much reason for them to lie, and little chance that anyone will be able to find out the difference until it is far too late.

But, you go ahead with your blind trust. PT Barnum foresaw your situation exactly a loooong time ago....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 01:31 pm
If you haven't noticed, our government sucks at keeping secrets. Remember those photos that came out of Abu Ghraib? I am sure the government would have been quite happy to keep a lid on those. Remember Watergate? Monicagate? All the other gates?

It's odd that you bring up P.T. Barnum. I was thinking of him as well after reading your post...
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 01:34 pm
Not the acts, the response.
Quote:
It seems to me that the people connected, for instance, with the Abu Graib malfeasances have been disciplined severely, as they certainly should have been. Do you believe that these bad acts are more numerous or wose in nature than the bad acts committed by American interrogators in previous wars? They are certainly deplorable, and they must be stopped, but are they unusual?

No, as I stated, I expect such abuses and recognize that they have occured before and will again, but it seems to me that the people connected with Abu Graib were not disciplined until their photos were all over the evening news. The Red Cross reported abuses in Abu Graib. Individual soilders of outstanding moral backbone did the same. No action from Secretary Rumsfield until it is on TV. That I do not accept. Are cover-ups part of history, yes, but I don't agree with them and when they are found out, action must be taken. Failure to take action allows the actions of a few to mar the reputation of all.

By the way, as ex-military myself, I do not believe that there were no officers aware of and responsible for the actions at Abu Graib. Officers and senior enlisted routinely did rounds at regular intervals around the clock when I served. We checked logs, inspected spaces, made sure no one was sleeping on watch, etc. Someone knew, probably lots of someones. They may not have done it, but they knew. In summary, I don't think those responsible have been "disciplined severely."
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 01:45 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Okay. You know as well as I do that the gov't has lied or mislead people, in this administration and past ones, time and time again. If I asked you for a list of clinton lies and coverups I've no doubt you could produce some for me;

Yes I could. And I could prove them too.

Cyclops wrote:
... but the Military is the same as then.

Wait ... I thought you were talking about Clinton's lies.

Cyclops wrote:
What makes you think that any major gov't organization such as this can successfully self-monitor themselves? Especially in a case such as this? There is no objective reason for them to tell the truth, much reason for them to lie, and little chance that anyone will be able to find out the difference until it is far too late.

Then hold on to your belief, completely unsubstantiated as it is, that this Pentagon report is a lie. I'm sure the terrorists will do the same.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 01:59 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
My belief is that there is no reason to believe that an organization such as the military, during a time of war, can effectively self-police or self-investigate, especailly when there is a clear interest for one's country in not revealing the truth.

You have also stated you think everything the Bush Administration says is a lie. So I know where you are coming from on this whole credibility issue. You won't believe anything they say unless if fits nicely into your view of things. So be it.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 02:05 pm
Re: Not the acts, the response.
engineer wrote:
I don't think those responsible have been "disciplined severely."

I guess it depends on one's definition of severe, but I recall that most have been discharged and given prison sentences up to 10 years. Also, some have been reduced in rank before being discharged. Those are, if not severe, at least significant punishments.
0 Replies

rayban1

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 03:07 pm
goodfielder wrote:
It's just about respecting the artifacts of someone's culture.

If that doesn't matter to you then not much more can be said.

I think of the US flag as an artifact of my cutlure........ but I'm not supposed to get mad as hell when a Muslim burns my flag???????????? Nope....no hypocracy here.

I'm more than a little disgusted with you apologists for everything that is bad in the Muslim culture but insist that America is all bad
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 05:55 pm
They just can't see the double standard they try to impose on us.

But, don't stop pointing it out.

My artifacts are just as important as theirs.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Sat 25 Jun, 2005 07:43 pm
Just to throw a gassoline tanker on the fire... Laughing

http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/products/a490/a490.gif

Thanks to : Link
0 Replies