Pentagon: "Ok, ok... Some soldiers DID disgrace the Koran"

engineer

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 01:48 pm
Quote:
...engineer made the assumption that the documents were being threatened. And again, it's the way engineer worded his/her post.

Umm, wrong poster. I'm the "everyone is not necessarily a Muslim" and the guy on the soapbox about Gitmo poster.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 01:50 pm
Brand X wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Brand X wrote:
goodfielder wrote:
tommrr wrote:
Ok, guys, some of you were bad, now don't do it again. Now can we get on with life and stop acting like a book is the most important thing in the whole friggin world?

The first time I ever went to Washington DC I went to the National Archives and saw the founding documents that are precious to the US as a nation. My ex leaned on a glass case to get a closer look at one of them and the security officer on duty boomed at her "please don't lean on the shrine!" She backed off, not realising she had transgressed but she was very apologetic.

For a Moslem the Qu'ran isn't ever a reproduction, it's the living word of God, it exists in Heaven. Any Qu'ran has to be respected.

The Qu'ran to a Moslem isn't just a book just as the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution aren't just documents behind a glass case.

It's just about respecting the artifacts of someone's culture.

If that doesn't matter to you then not much more can be said.

Just because the guard said not to lean on the case doesn't mean he was protecting the documents like a Moslem would the Koran or that your ex had 'transgressed'... and as has been proven Moslem's will desecrate it as quick as anyone anyway. The guard was just saying not to lean on the glass, based on your post.

Your analogy is a poor one.

You are making your own assumptions about what the guard thought, meant or was supposed to do. The analogy is not a poor one.

I'm not making an assumption...the guard said, "Please don't lean on the shrine"....engineer made the assumption that the documents were being threatened. And again, it's the way engineer worded his/her post. All the guard did was ask them not to lean on the glass...very simply.

See how easily assumptions can be made? Engineer did not say this, goodfielder did. Also, if the guard called it a shrine he was obviously talking about more than mere documents.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 01:52 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Brand X wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Brand X wrote:
goodfielder wrote:
tommrr wrote:
Ok, guys, some of you were bad, now don't do it again. Now can we get on with life and stop acting like a book is the most important thing in the whole friggin world?

The first time I ever went to Washington DC I went to the National Archives and saw the founding documents that are precious to the US as a nation. My ex leaned on a glass case to get a closer look at one of them and the security officer on duty boomed at her "please don't lean on the shrine!" She backed off, not realising she had transgressed but she was very apologetic.

For a Moslem the Qu'ran isn't ever a reproduction, it's the living word of God, it exists in Heaven. Any Qu'ran has to be respected.

The Qu'ran to a Moslem isn't just a book just as the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution aren't just documents behind a glass case.

It's just about respecting the artifacts of someone's culture.

Just because the guard said not to lean on the case doesn't mean he was protecting the documents like a Moslem would the Koran or that your ex had 'transgressed'... and as has been proven Moslem's will desecrate it as quick as anyone anyway. The guard was just saying not to lean on the glass, based on your post.

Your analogy is a poor one.

You are making your own assumptions about what the guard thought, meant or was supposed to do. The analogy is not a poor one.

I'm not making an assumption...the guard said, "Please don't lean on the shrine"....engineer made the assumption that the documents were being threatened. And again, it's the way engineer worded his/her post. All the guard did was ask them not to lean on the glass...very simply.

See how easily assumptions can be made? Engineer did not say this, goodfielder did.

Oops! Thanks for the correction. Embarrassed
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 02:38 pm
A California man accidentally used the Koran as a coaster yesterday, sparking riots that led to the deaths of over 400 people in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Indonesia.

The man, who requested anonymity lest he become the "face of a thousand fatwas," was drinking a Coca-Cola at a Borders bookstore and "placed the beverage on the holiest of Muslim texts."

An outraged Borders patron recorded the "entire ghastly event on his video cell phone" and sent the recording to a local mosque and an ACLU branch office. Within hours, news of the "sordid affair" reached the Middle East and the corpses began piling up.

"Dude…my bad," said the man, who ended up finishing - and enjoying - his Coke. "I had no idea that was a Koran I put my Coke on. Tell the families or whatever I'm, like, sorry."

"He should be," said a local Muslim cleric. "Allah specifically states...O.K., I don't know exactly where...but it's probably official policy that infidels putting a drink on a Koran deserves a nice, big fatwa. That the drink was the poisonous liquid of American imperialism makes it even worse."

Last week, it was discovered that a Koran wasn't flushed down a toilet on an American military base. About 20 died in the Muslim world as a result.

In related news, Islamic extremists found out the toilet story was untrue, got incensed about the "deceiving, treacherous Jew-controlled U.S. media," and killed about 20 more people.

source
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 02:41 pm
An American toilet manufacturer is currently designing a new model that will "flush the bulkiest of Korans," sources said yesterday.

A spokesman for Krap King, Inc. said the company would have the new "Islamoflusher" model in stores for the spring, when Americans do their most flushing - sacred religious texts included. The new toilet would "help prevent and possibly eliminate" situations like the recent Newsweek story, which reported that American interrogators at Guantanamo Bay flushed a Koran down the toilet to "intimidate" suspected terrorists.

"The toilet backed up when the Koran clogged it," said an anonymous Krap King employee. "A detainee witnessed the whole thing, and...BAM! Next thing you know, there's 17 dead and hundreds injured during anti-American rioting. Our toilet will prevent such incidents. If an interrogator puts a Koran in, that sucker ain't coming back up."

Newsweek has since retracted the story, but Krap King is proceeding nonetheless. "Preventative measures," said an anonymous employee. "Plus, this is the toilet industry's big chance to shed its aura of obscurity and really make a splash."

The ACLU released a statement denouncing the toilet. "This toilet shall accommodate Talmuds and Bibles," the statement read. "And we're checking into sacred Hindu and Buddhist texts, too. We will not have the toilet industry marketing their product for the sole purpose of humiliating Muslims."

"We've gone after Big Tobacco and Big Oil before," the statement continued. "There's no reason why we won't confront Big Toilets on this issue."

"If Krap King can make an extra buck by being able to flush all the major religious books," said another employee, "get ready for our Atheist 4000 model."

source
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 02:47 pm
ROFLMAO!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 03:11 pm
Gitmo Study Sparks Arab Probe of Bible Abuse
by Scott Ott

(2005-06-04) -- Friday's release of a Pentagon study on mishandling of the Koran at Guantanamo Bay detention center has sparked Saudi Arabia's leader to call for similar probes of Bible handling in detention facilities throughout the Muslim world.

Since May, the Pentagon has examined thousands of pages of documentation, finding five confirmed cases of Koran mishandling by U.S. personnel, and 15 cases in which Muslim prisoners desecrated their own complimentary copies of the book that they had received from the U.S. government. The Pentagon has distributed some 1,600 taxpayer-funded copies of the Muslim Holy Book to suspected terrorists detained at Gitmo.

Saudi leader King Fahd today, called on his fellow monarchs and dictators throughout the Arab world to complete a full review of any complaints about mishandling of holy scriptures which Muslim governments have distributed to their Christian and Jewish prisoners.

"I feel confident that this probe will reveal no cases of Muslim or Arab guards abusing Bibles issued by Muslim governments," said the King. "But in the spirit of respect for religious freedom and pluralism, we will examine our own policies and procedures and make a full, public report within 30 days."

Satirized for your protection.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 04:01 pm
Intrepid wrote:
sozobe wrote:
COMPLETELY agreed with pdog, was going to say the same thing. Desecrating Koran, not good, but torturing an innocent taxi driver to death, REALLY not good. Which one is getting more attention?

Certainly not to take away from the taxi driver story.... But, one is a local event and the other is a international event. Which would we expect to get the greater attention?

Shocked

How is the taxi driver not international? If you're not sure what I'm referring to, here's more:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52067
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 09:57 pm
sozobe wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
sozobe wrote:
COMPLETELY agreed with pdog, was going to say the same thing. Desecrating Koran, not good, but torturing an innocent taxi driver to death, REALLY not good. Which one is getting more attention?

Certainly not to take away from the taxi driver story.... But, one is a local event and the other is a international event. Which would we expect to get the greater attention?

Shocked

How is the taxi driver not international? If you're not sure what I'm referring to, here's more:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=52067

Please strike my comment. Embarrassed I got things mixed up with pdogs comment on Chicago Police. Sorry for the fubar.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 11:08 pm
goodfielder wrote:
tommrr wrote:

The first time I ever went to Washington DC I went to the National Archives and saw the founding documents that are precious to the US as a nation...It's just about respecting the artifacts of someone's culture.

While we're all treating our prisoners properly, do ask the Iraqi insurgents to stop cutting their prisoners' heads off, won't you? And shooting survivors in a helicopter they downed was probably a bit of a no-no.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 05:24 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
goodfielder wrote:
tommrr wrote:

The first time I ever went to Washington DC I went to the National Archives and saw the founding documents that are precious to the US as a nation...It's just about respecting the artifacts of someone's culture.

While we're all treating our prisoners properly, do ask the Iraqi insurgents to stop cutting their prisoners' heads off, won't you? And shooting survivors in a helicopter they downed was probably a bit of a no-no.

Grow up Brandon. If you consider stooping to the levels of others the appropriate course of action then you are no better than those you stoop to. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 08:23 am
Ah, I see, Intrepid. No prob.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 08:30 am
Intrepid wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
goodfielder wrote:
tommrr wrote:

Grow up Brandon. If you consider stooping to the levels of others the appropriate course of action then you are no better than those you stoop to. Rolling Eyes

I think his point, Intrepid, is that the US is NOT stooping to those levels.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 08:47 am
Yes. That's good.

However, the whole premise of our being there is that we're so much better than those who DO stoop to those levels, and that we are bringing freedom and democracy and all kinds of good shiny pure things... and that campaign is quite seriously tarnished by finding that we do dark and impure things like torturing an innocent Afghani to death.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 08:49 am
Tico,
I take his point to mean that we should do it because they do it even though we may not be doing it! Why don't we ask Brandon for a clarification? Although he would not have the opportunity to put it into a context that suits his purpose.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 08:49 am
I thought it was to stop global terrorism?

I do not recall spreading our moral values ever being on the list of reasons for war.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 08:52 am
Yep, there was nothing about spreading Democracy and freedom in the Middle East, freeing them from that sadistic tyrant Saddam (who, like, tortured people to death) in the going-to-war rhetoric.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 08:53 am
(And stopping global terrorism? What? Is this the Iraq=9/11 thing AGAIN?)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 08:54 am
and the circle is unbroken....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 7 Jun, 2005 09:03 am
sozobe wrote:
(And stopping global terrorism? What? Is this the Iraq=9/11 thing AGAIN?)

Why do you keep equatting 9/11 with Iraq? They have nothing to do with each other yet it seems you guys just can't help but tie them together. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies