Bday message to my former driving instructor?

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 08:54 am
I took my driving license 5 months ago and I had the best instrucor ever. Since he had told me when he was born, I thought about sending him a h-bday message. It's not because I want to contact him again or anything. It's just an idea that I had since his bday is right around the corner lol.
Do you think he would appreciate it? xD
Let me know.
Thanks!

chai2

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 08:58 am
@Joanna4114,
No I don't think he would appreciate it beyond thinking "That's kinda weird"

Weird because it's not really something a person would do if they had someone teach them a task months ago, and it was their job.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 09:20 am
@Joanna4114,
Um, no. Do not send a birthday card. I would think it is creepy. And to be honest, he probably won't even really know who the heck is sending him a card.
Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 09:36 am
I kind of agree with the rest.

I think what would have been appropriate would have been when you finished your driving hours, that you send him a short message stating your appreciation and thanking him for being such a good instructor.

However, the window of opportunity has passed now for that and like others said would now be a bit creepy.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 09:52 am
@CoastalRat,
CoastalRat wrote:

And to be honest, he probably won't even really know who the heck is sending him a card.

I was thinking of saying that. I'm glad you brought it up.

There's no shame in it, but I suspect the OP may have developed a bit of a crush.

Jeez, I'm 60 years old, and I've had a crush on this particular person for about 20 years. But I just enjoy it and keep it to myself.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 11:05 am
@Joanna4114,
There are B=day cards and then there are B-day card. If you feel a need to remember this teacher for his help, send something light. Maybe a Christmas card might be better. Don't make it annual and keep it lite.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 11:11 am
@Joanna4114,
5 months is way too long, if his birthday fell during the lessons or a couple of weeks after it would be OK, but not now.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 12:17 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

There are B=day cards and then there are B-day card. If you feel a need to remember this teacher for his help, send something light. Maybe a Christmas card might be better. Don't make it annual and keep it lite.

A Christmas card? Like in 4 more months?

Sorry, that would be way past weird.

Merry Xmas. Thanks for teaching me to drive 9 or 10 months ago.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 08:02 am
@chai2,
I know. Wishing mere acquaintances a simple "Merry Christmas" is so weird. Especially at Christmas. Never ever wish a stranger Merry Christmas.
chai2

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 09:27 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Totally agree.

Long gone for most people (thank god) are the days where you had this freaking massive xmas card list where everyone and anyone you had encountered in your life had to get this card written out, addressed, stamped, and mailed during for many the most stressful time of the year. Just one more pile on of tasks.

The advent of emails helped, and texts more so.

Now I guess most people could just make this one general statement on Twittergram and be done with it.

Let's get real. This chick acquired a crush on her driving instructor, and is trying to figure out a way to reconnect with him.

If he had any interest in her beyond teaching her how to parrallel park, there would have been communication already.

I'll eat my hat if she came back and said this instructor was in his 50's or whatever age she would deem as too old.
0 Replies