How do you know it's love making and not just sex?

glitterbag

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2019 09:51 pm
@maxdog,
maxdog wrote:

I think i understood

Anybody surprised?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 12:13 am
@Lash,
All I know about that programme is from other cartoons. I heard it inspired The Flintstones in The Simpsons and in Futurama they looked at the moon quote.

I think it's more indicative of how attitudes towards woman have changed. Women used to be treated as property either of the husband or father.

The term rule of thumb refers to the thickness of a stick a man could use to beat his wife. As long as the stick was no thicker than his thumb he could beat her as much as he liked, safe in the knowledge he wasn't breaking the law.
maxdog

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 01:38 am
@maxdog,
Lol
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 04:27 am
@izzythepush,
The ‘rule of thumb’ origin still pisses me off. I get a mental image every time. I’m much more understanding of arsenic in potatoes...
hightor

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 05:10 am
@Lash,
Lash, if it helps you to retain composure, that particular etymology is not universally accepted:

Quote:
(...)

It's certainly the case that, although British common law once held that it was legal for a man to chastise his wife in moderation (whatever that meant), the 'rule of thumb' has never been the law in England.

(...)

The phrase itself has been in circulation since the 1600s. The earliest known use of it in print appears in a sermon given by the English puritan James Durham and printed in Heaven Upon Earth, 1685:

"many profest Christians are like to foolish builders, who build by guess, and by rule of thumb, (as we use to speak) and not by Square and Rule."

The origin of the phrase remains unknown. It is likely that it refers to one of the numerous ways that thumbs have been used to estimate things - judging the alignment or distance of an object by holding the thumb in one's eye-line, the temperature of brews of beer, measurement of an inch from the joint to the nail to the tip, or across the thumb, etc.

(...)

source

and

wikipedia

However, the fact that the modern etymology has been so eagerly adopted and has become so widely quoted still pisses me off!
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 05:12 am
Quote:

If you can't tell the difference does it even make a difference?
livinglava

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 06:41 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

If you can't tell the difference does it even make a difference?

It makes a difference if someone is using you vs. actually caring about you as a partner.

Men have trouble understanding the problem of being used for pleasure, because they would get pleasure from being used for pleasure.

Men start to understand the problem of being used, however, when it's for money, self-esteem, or other benefits that satisfy a woman's love for herself at his expense.

If someone is using sex as bait to manipulate, control, enslave, blackmail, or otherwise use/abuse you; that's not love.

Even if they think they love you, but it is a temporary state based on their self-interest of being in a relationship, they are going to eventually dump you; and that is also not love.

Love is truly caring about someone's well-being and not wanting to harm them. So if engaging in sex is ultimately going to harm your partner and/or yourself, then it isn't love if you do it.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 08:07 am
@Lash,
At least it's not the case any longer although there is still a way to go.
hightor

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 07:55 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
It makes a difference if someone is using you vs. actually caring about you as a partner.

Not if you never catch on.
livinglava

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 05:35 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:

That's like saying parasites don't hurt you if you never realize your infected.
Lash

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 05:37 pm
@izzythepush,
Well. Not in all countries.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 05:51 pm
Speaking to the title post query, I have to impart upon the hopeful gathered that ‘love’ is a transient, undefinable quality that has no real meaning.

I love my dad, ketchup, and the beach.

I say I love a man Tuesday and I hate him Thursday.

It doesn’t exist. It is frequently described as a lovely, warm feeling that occurs in certain circumstances, but if circumstances change, ‘love’ is gone.

Love is a decision people make. It may or may not coincide with warm feelings and tingly private parts.

Many people say they love other people during the act of sex, but they mistake a decision to be a witness to another’s life with that super awesome nutty chaotic rumbling in their *what’s it* when they rub it together with someone else’s *what’s it.*

I promise, that’s not love.

hightor

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 02:50 am
@livinglava,
Quote:

It sounds as if you might be infected — with the "love" meme! If someone commits to laughing at your jokes, sharing income, breaking bread together, being supportive, showing affection, and always making an effort to be nice why would you insist that they show that they "love" you? That sounds very needy.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 03:10 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I love my dad, ketchup, and the beach.

I must take you to Weston shore for a beautiful view of Fawley refinery.

https://live.staticflickr.com/17/20694313_cc5ce0db8f_z.jpg
Lash

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 04:34 am
@izzythepush,
That doesn’t qualify as a ‘beach’ to me. I’ll come up with a new word for it,,,,that is designated as a ‘bleeeaaach’.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 04:57 am
@Lash,
It's what we call a beach in Southampton.

https://widgety-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/2016/06/22/10/32/00/609/Western_Shore.jpg

Bournemouth's beaches down the road are probably more to your liking.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 11:41 am
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:

hightor wrote:

Quote:

Scientifically speaking, many parasites dont hurt you... which is why you never know pr care about them.

You have mites in your eyelashes, countless bacteria and other organisms on your skin. The diversity of life living in your mouth and your gut is spectacular. Most of these lifeforms are not harmful. Some are beneficial.

You ignore most of the parasites living in or on your body... Precisely because they dont harm you. Most of them you dont even realoze are there.
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 07:57 am
@maxdancona,
Still, bedbugs and tapeworms give me the creeps.

Many of them are human!
0 Replies