agrote

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 10:00 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
My suspicion is that it won't be like anything, because you won't have any thoughts.

Yes, being dead won't be much like anything.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 5 Jun, 2005 11:36 am
I refer you to the discussion started on page 11 of this thread. When you're dead, you're dead.
0 Replies

fredjones

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 06:18 am
Our bodies die, but our genes live on, through our offspring, or through otherwise related human beings. The information encoded on a gene can live far longer than any specific person.

In a way, we contain 3.5 billion years worth of information accumulation. That means the organisms before us gained a kind of afterlife-through us-right?

So part of us lives on, even if the body we inhabits dies.

Consciousness, however, seems to be impossible without the brain.
0 Replies

mr me642

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 12:13 pm
I can see how people get thesse ideas, from a scientific standpoint. However, it is truly unknown what happens when we die. part of the fun of living is fantasizing about what will happen when we die.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 05:17 pm
Fun fantasizing about death???
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 08:52 pm
revo wrote:
no one has really answered my question? lol :wink: can anyone imagine what it would be like to be dead? I know some people say its like a machine thats being shut down, but could you imagine... i dunno how to explain it... like when you're dead, and you can;t function, just not being able to live??

Yes, it was answered. Being dead would be like being in a deep dreamless sleep or under general anesthesia. There is nothing to "imagine" since there is no consciousness, no awareness, no thoughts, nothing. You simply do not have any sense of existence until the parts of the brain that produce consciousness re-activate. When the brain dies or is damaged to the point that it can no longer generate consciousness, you are dead, even if your body is kept alive by well-meaning idiots who refuse to accept the facts.

I suspect that the question you are really asking is: what would it be like to be a ghost, or have locked-in syndrome.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 09:46 pm
mr_me642 wrote:
I can see how people get thesse ideas, from a scientific standpoint. However, it is truly unknown what happens when we die. part of the fun of living is fantasizing about what will happen when we die.

Where does a washing machine go when you scrap it? It's not all that hard to figure out.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 14 Jun, 2005 11:25 pm
mr_me642 wrote:
I hope you don't test your fantasies on anybody; but I especially hope you don't test them on someone other than yourself.
0 Replies

Ibn kumuna

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 01:14 pm
Terry wrote:
[
Yes, it was answered. Being dead would be like being in a deep dreamless sleep or under general anesthesia. There is nothing to "imagine" since there is no consciousness, no awareness, no thoughts, nothing. You simply do not have any sense of existence until the parts of the brain that produce consciousness re-activate. When the brain dies or is damaged to the point that it can no longer generate consciousness, you are dead, even if your body is kept alive by well-meaning idiots who refuse to accept the facts.

I suspect that the question you are really asking is: what would it be like to be a ghost, or have locked-in syndrome.

Salaams

Probably the most informative--albeit terse--answer to the "dead" question I have read thus far. Interesting indeed!

--Ibn
0 Replies