agrote

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:11 am
Are you necessarily dead if your heart stops? Surely if you're alive and well now, you didn't die.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:27 am
I was not considered to be clinically dead because as I was in an operating room cpr was administered and I was resucitated before blood flow to my brain was interrupted long enough to cause any damage. I was really, really lucky - because I was pregnant at the time and there was no permanent damage to either myself or my son who was a six month old fetus at the time.

Yeah - as I said, this doesn't prove anything to me or to anyone else. It means something to me because of how it changed my life. It can't be quantified or measured - so I'm sure it will mean very little to most other people. But Revo was interested in thoughts and experiences right - I didn't notice that he was asking for hard science or facts.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:28 am
Just stumbled upon this thread. It looks as if I missed the war of the worlds.
We mortals simply do not know what death brings with it.
For those who have religion or believe in God. Death is not final but just another phase of existence. For those who do not believe it is the end of the line.
If I had my druthers I would hope for another phase of existence. However, only death holds the answer. I am willing to wait. :wink:
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:30 am
If death is the end, you'll never know whether or not death is the end.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:31 am
In which case, one can reasonalby assert that the matter will no longer trouble him.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:34 am
agrote wrote
Quote:

Agreed. But than again it won't much matter.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:38 am
agrote wrote:

My genetic code will not survive after I die

Oh yes it does. DNA has been found from a body dated 30,000 + years old in a Neanderthal. This proves that your genetic makeup does survive after death.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:39 am
Sounds good to me. Can't wait. :wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:39 am
agrote wrote:

Which is why this thread is neverending and circular. None of us knows anything. Very Happy
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:42 am
Bella Dea wrote:
agrote wrote:

Oh yes it does. DNA has been found from a body dated 30,000 + years old in a Neanderthal. This proves that your genetic makeup does survive after death.

Okay, yes, you're right. I suppsoe your body does survive then, in a sense. You got me, Bella dear. Razz

I still believe that your self cannot survive, though - I think consciousness ends as soon as your brain is unable to produce it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:44 am
agrote wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
agrote wrote:

Okay, yes, you're right. I suppsoe your body does survive then, in a sense. You got me, Bella dear. Razz

I still believe that your self cannot survive, though - I think consciousness ends as soon as your brain is unable to produce it.

You may be right. But as we've already decided, we'll not know til we are dead and then what does it matter? Very Happy
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:50 am
I guess so. Oh well, I suppose this thread will die now.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:52 am
agrote wrote:
I guess so. Oh well, I suppose this thread will die now.

After it has died, will there still be remanents of it left somewhere?
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:57 am
It'll probably be resurrected... I don't believe that can happen with people, but it happens a lot with threads.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:57 am
Bella Dea wrote:
agrote wrote:

That is fine if we are buried in a glacier and then found later :-) Most of us will either be buried in the ground to decay, or cremated so that only ashes remain.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:59 am
Intrepid wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
agrote wrote:

That is fine if we are buried in a glacier and then found later :-) Most of us will either be buried in the ground to decay, or cremated so that only ashes remain.

What? You mean they don't cryogenically freeze us all for later when there might be a cure for what killed us? :wink:
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 03:00 pm
aidan wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
In order for me to believe something, particularly something as significant as life after death, I require some evidence that it is so. I am not going to accept a theory of the structure of the universe, which this is, without evidence that it is correct. I need more than just a few anecdotes that someone almost died and thought they were approaching a bright light. Does anyone have any hard evidence, or carefully documented evidence of an afterlife?

The body certainly seems to function as a machine. Medicine treats illnesses in terms of physical cause and effect in the body. Although not all things about the body are understood, its functioning appears to be knowable. Thoughts appear to reside in the electrical and chemical activity of the brain. It would be reasonable in the absence of evidence to the contrary to suppose the body is what it appears to be - a machine - and that if the brain stops working, the thoughts stop flowing. Evidence of an afterlife, anyone?

I hesitate to even put this forward - because you seem to be so stuck on the concrete - what you can touch, see, feel and have proven to you. But my body did stop working, and I was still aware. No bright lights or tunnels or long dead relatives leading me home, or anything like that - but though my heart had stopped - due to an allergic reaction to anesthesia - I later repeated entire blocks of conversation and described events accurately to people who were in the room with me. I'm just telling you what happened to me - I don't expect it to change what you think or believe for yourself. But I do think that instead of being so dismissive of other people's experiences you might at least leave room for the possibility that things might happen differently for other people than they happen for you. An open mind is a wonderful thing. My husband is a doctor - a man of science - not a religious or spiritual bone in his body - but he believes me when I tell him that this happened to me - and he doesn't make light of it or dismiss it. In fact he finds it extremely interesting (and yes, he's informed me about the possibility of a drug and/or natural chemical reaction at the moment of death - which I also fully entertain may have been the cause, because when I say I don't know - I really mean it - I don't know. But what I do know is in those moments I felt cared for - like I never have before or since in my life. I don't know by who or by what - but I loved the feeling and for the past eighteen years since that happened to me - I no longer have had any dread or fear of death. It was one of the most wonderful experiences I've ever had - (and I've had a pretty great life, in general).

It is interesting that in response to my statement, "show me some evidence," you imply that I don't have an open mind. I do not quite know how saying, "The body seems to function as a machine. Is there some evidence that more is going on?" indicates an unwillingness to accept new facts, which is what an open mind is. No evidence has been offered for me to have a chance to display an open mind about. Your personal story is simply not acceptable evidence, because (a) it leaves the rest of us nothing to examine as evidence, and (b) you as an individual are capable of being fooled or succumbing to wishful thinking.

If there is an afterlife, it is interesting that in the entire history of our species, no one appears to have ever produced any scientific evidence of it at all, such as a movie of someone's ghost saying, "Here I am." It is incorrect to accept some theory of the functioning of the universe without real supporting evidence. Therefore, all that we are really warranted in assuming about death is what is known, that the person appears to cease, and that thought and consciousness appear to be aspects of the functioning of the brain.

As for your statement that I can only believe what I can touch, see, and feel, that is certainly false. I believe in many things that don't fall into that category, such as atoms, but there is actual evidence for their existence.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 03:39 pm
Sorry - you're right Brandon. I don't have any evidence, but that's never what I was suggesting I was putting forth. I've said six or seven times that I don't know either way. I was just telling a story about something that happened to me that made me feel a certain way that may have been an indication (to me and me only) that I may have experienced a moment of awareness after my heart had stopped beating. But as Agrote pointed out - my brain had not stopped functioning so it probably meant nothing at all, and is invalid in most peoples' eyes. I fully recognize that fact, but I reserve the right to assign it importance in my life experience. Is that okay?

Again, I don't know what it means or that it means anything at all. I apologize for any assumptions about you that I may have implied that I was making. I'm just not used to communicating with people who take everything I say so extremely literally and want proof and explanation for each and every word I put forth. Nothing I say should be taken as gospel. I'm beginning to understand that for some of you this is sport of some kind, but for me, it was just interesting to think about and I enjoyed relating my experience to a fourteen year old who was wondering about some of life's more mysterious questions. I am not in the habit of offending others or hurting peoples' feelings in any way, and if I did so to you, I am truly sorry for any offense.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 03:52 pm
aidan wrote:
Sorry - you're right Brandon. I don't have any evidence, but that's never what I was suggesting I was putting forth. I've said six or seven times that I don't know either way. I was just telling a story about something that happened to me that made me feel a certain way that may have been an indication (to me and me only) that I may have experienced a moment of awareness after my heart had stopped beating. But as Agrote pointed out - my brain had not stopped functioning so it probably meant nothing at all, and is invalid in most peoples' eyes. I fully recognize that fact, but I reserve the right to assign it importance in my life experience. Is that okay?

Again, I don't know what it means or that it means anything at all. I apologize for any assumptions about you that I may have implied that I was making. I'm just not used to communicating with people who take everything I say so extremely literally and want proof and explanation for each and every word I put forth. Nothing I say should be taken as gospel. I'm beginning to understand that for some of you this is sport of some kind, but for me, it was just interesting to think about and I enjoyed relating my experience to a fourteen year old who was wondering about some of life's more mysterious questions. I am not in the habit of offending others or hurting peoples' feelings in any way, and if I did so to you, I am truly sorry for any offense.

There is no offense taken by me. Why would there be? This is simply a discussion of the topic you raised in this thread. I don't want a proof and explanation for every single word you say, just for the existence of an afterlife. Didn't you raise the topic and ask for input in order to have people discuss it? I thought that's what I was doing. It seems to me that it is you who have taken offense, since I have simply entered the conversation as you appeared to request.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 04:02 pm
Brandon - Revo raised the topic and asked the initial question. My initial post expressed genuine curiousity as to how you and another poster could seem so sure about the absence of life after death. I was not being snide or insincere at all, I am genuinely interested in how people arrive at such firm conclusions on any number of issues that I read about on this board that would seem to me to have no definitive answer.

I think I then asked if you believed that just because you did not see evidence of something, did you accept that other people might. It went on from there.

You will never see me asking questions about life after death, spirituality, should I get a divorce, etc. , on this board. I do sometimes post topics that will enable me to learn more about those who are here. At this point in my life, I know pretty firmly what I believe on most issues and I trust my own judgement much more than I do the judgement of strangers (which is what everyone here still is to me) on the internet. I do however, like to think about, read and digest what others might think, and occaisionally I'll throw in an opinion or share an anecdote, if I think it's applicable.

I'm not offended at all, and I'm glad you're not either. That is definitely not my purpose or intent on this board.
0 Replies