Brandon9000

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 09:17 am
Setanta wrote:
That's just crap . . . here's a hanky, your weeping is getting embarrassing. You jumped in here with both feet to deny something by a back-door route, using the absence of evidence argument. That is all that i have alluded to. I am hardy any description of a masochist, and am not about to waste a moment of my time reading your usually self-congratulatory expositions on the excellence of your understanding of the world vouchsafed you by the great god science.

1. I never said that science disproves the existence of an afterlife in any post on this board.
2. This is precisely what you accuse me of.

If you are right, you need only find a single post of mine to support your thesis.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 09:26 am
No, that is not what i have "accused" you of--i've accused you of nothing, other than erecting science as your particular deity. I have simply pointed out that you have used a feeble absence of evidence argument here, and that this is typical of your self-preening display of snotty superiority in so many threads. It has a place in a thread in which specific scientific investigation can illuminate the question at hand. It has no place here.

Brandon wrote:
Yeah, show me your scientific evidence for the afterlife.

. . . to which i replied, in part . . .

I wrote:
Those who, unlike Brandon, have a clear-headed assessment of science, know that it does not have nor even purport to have, the answers to every question. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

. . . and i then went on to remark that:

Quote:
When urged to believe in a deity, i say no thanks because there is not sufficient evidence to warrant wasting my time with all of the rigamarole. The same applies to life after death--there is insufficient evidence to do aught but equivocate, so there is no meaningful answer with which one could reasonably guide oneself--including the high priest of the god of science, Our Brandon.

I did not assert that you stated that science disproves the continuance of existence after death. I did point out that you were worshipping at the altar of your god science, and had in your typically sneering superiority, questioned someone else's remarks using the feeble absence of evidence argument. Get over it Brandon, as in your idiotic support of the Shrub's dirty little war, you attempt to chop logic and mince words to support your outrageous statements of "fact" which are no facts at all.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 09:38 am
Setanta wrote:
No, that is not what i have "accused" you of--i've accused you of nothing, other than erecting science as your particular deity. I have simply pointed out that you have used a feeble absence of evidence argument here, and that this is typical of your self-preening display of snotty superiority in so many threads. It has a place in a thread in which specific scientific investigation can illuminate the question at hand. It has no place here.

Brandon wrote:
Yeah, show me your scientific evidence for the afterlife.

. . . to which i replied, in part . . .

I wrote:
Those who, unlike Brandon, have a clear-headed assessment of science, know that it does not have nor even purport to have, the answers to every question. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

I never said that the absence of evidence is evidence. In fact, in the quotation above, what I am saying is "show me some evidence" or else there is no reason to accept your (his) idea of an afterlife.

Setanta wrote:
. . . and i then went on to remark that:

Quote:
When urged to believe in a deity, i say no thanks because there is not sufficient evidence to warrant wasting my time with all of the rigamarole. The same applies to life after death--there is insufficient evidence to do aught but equivocate, so there is no meaningful answer with which one could reasonably guide oneself--including the high priest of the god of science, Our Brandon.

I did not assert that you stated that science disproves the continuance of existence after death. I did point out that you were worshipping at the altar of your god science, and had in your typically sneering superiority, questioned someone else's remarks using the feeble absence of evidence argument. Get over it Brandon, as in your idiotic support of the Shrub's dirty little war, you attempt to chop logic and mince words to support your outrageous statements of "fact" which are no facts at all.

As for worshipping at the altar of a God called science, what is true is that I believe that science appears to work very well, and that I think it is a great and fascinating thing. However, the terms "worship" and "God" imply the sort of magical thinking that characterizes those who advocate religion, and, in fact, what I have advocated for my entire life is precisely the opposite type of thinking.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 09:42 am
And we are all so proud of you Brandon, it just gives everyone a warm feeling in the cockles of the heart to know that you are so grounded in reality.

None of which has the least bearing on the topic of this thread.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 09:42 am
Setanta wrote:
And we are all so proud of you Brandon, it just gives everyone a warm feeling in the cockles of the heart to know that you are so grounded in reality.

None of which has the least bearing on the topic of this thread.

If you accuse me of something I didn't do, it is reasonable for me to defend. I was posting on topic before you came along with your accusations and insults.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 09:47 am
I accused you of advancing the absense of evidence argument, which you have indeed done. The insults were just an added benefit of getting under your skin . . . it's like fishing without bait . . .
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 09:50 am
Setanta wrote:
I accused you of advancing the absense of evidence argument, which you have indeed done.

I deny absolutely using the absence of evidence argument. Give me one example of where I have done that. My argument has always been that in the absence of evidence it is foolish to accept a theory. Show me where I make the absence of evidence argument or admit that you can't.

Setanta wrote:
The insults were just an added benefit of getting under your skin . . . it's like fishing without bait . . .

I'm sure that you would prefer to view yourself in this light, but perhaps the truth is just that you are by nature a very rude and insulting person.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 09:55 am
I've already done so, and drop the imperative tone, you have no authority to tell me to do anything. No one here advanced a theory, this is simply a venue for idle speculation. Therefore, your remark: "Yeah, show me your scientific evidence for the afterlife."--made in a snotty, condescending manner, by inference advances the absence of evidence argument.

You don't of course, know anything about my "nature." In my daily life, i go for years without engaging in argument, and rarely if ever insult anyone unless my intention is to start trouble. Here, however, when i run into the likes of you, it is a great pleasure to deflate your pomposity. As i said, it's like fishing without bait . . .
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 10:00 am
Setanta wrote:
I've already done so, and drop the imperative tone, you have no authority to tell me to do anything. No one here advanced a theory, this is simply a venue for idle speculation. Therefore, your remark: "Yeah, show me your scientific evidence for the afterlife."--made in a snotty, condescending manner, by inference advances the absence of evidence argument.

This particular quotation does not demonstrate a theory that the absence of evidence is itself evidence, because my sentence could just as easily mean what I actually did mean by it. What I did mean by it is that the absence of evidence makes it foolish to accept a theory. I did not mean that the absence of evidence is evidence that the theory is false.

Setanta wrote:
You don't of course, know anything about my "nature." In my daily life, i go for years without engaging in argument, and rarely if ever insult anyone unless my intention is to start trouble. Here, however, when i run into the likes of you, it is a great pleasure to deflate your pomposity. As i said, it's like fishing without bait . . .

Clearly, I do know something about your nature, since I have seen hundreds if not thousands of your posts. Your claim that you are rude and ill mannered here, but a perfect angel when I can't see you strikes me as improbable.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 10:04 am
No theory has been advanced, so your defense is disingenuous in the extreme. You weren't involved in denying anyone's theory, none had been advanced.

To use your silly penchant for mincing words, i at no time stated or even suggested that i am a perfect angel. You'll need bait to fish in my waters, Brandon, unlike your own.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 10:05 am
Setanta wrote:
No theory has been advanced, so your defense is disingenuous in the extreme. You weren't involved in denying anyone's theory, none had been advanced.

To use your silly penchant for mincing words, i at no time stated or even suggested that i am a perfect angel. You'll need bait to fish in my waters, Brandon, unlike your own.

Well, as long as you apologize. But try to show some self-control from now on.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 10:07 am
I haven't apologized for anything, and i continue to assert that you attempted to use the absence of evidence argument by inference. You claim you denied a theory, when none had been advanced.

You are absolutely hilarious. In what, precisely, does my alleged apology consist? You may be assured that i will never in my life feel compelled to apologize to you for anything.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 10:10 am
Now, now, I know you're sorry for your behavior, and I do accept your apology. We need not speak of this again.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 10:14 am
Well, you know little of the character of my race. I will speak of it as often as i please, and point out to you that you haven't the ability nor the resources to either force an apology from me, nor purchase one.

Here, i'll make it easy for your to understand. I considered your "scientific evidence" statement, without reference to anyone's "theory," to be the type of remark one can expect from a self-satisfied twit. Does that help you to understand that there has been, and will be no apology? I have to go now, but i'll check in later to see if you need more convincing.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 10:14 am
C'mon guys. It's only a thread. Let's be friends, OK? http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/huggles.gif
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 10:16 am
Setanta, I know apologizing was hard for you. I am confident that you will try to correct your problems in this area. Good luck.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 10:17 am
Good luck in ever getting an apology from me. I do, however, find the playground tactics highly amusing.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 10:17 am
Have a nice day.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 10:18 am
Don't hurry back.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 10:23 am
Sheesh!