Tardigrades: We're now polluting the moon with near indestructible little creatures

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 02:54 pm
Tardigrades: We're now polluting the moon with near indestructible little creatures

https://3c1703fe8d.site.internapcdn.net/newman/gfx/news/hires/2019/tardigradesw.jpg

Quote:
An Israeli spacecraft called Beresheet almost made it to the moon in April. It took a selfie with the lunar surface in the background, but then lost contact with Earth and presumably crashed onto the lunar surface. Now it's been revealed that the mission was carrying a cargo of dehydrated microscopic lifeforms known as tardigrades.

Beresheet was the first stage of a privately-funded initiative to transfer living DNA to the moon. The project is designed to act as Noah's Ark Mark II, providing a repository from which plants and animals could be regenerated to repopulate the Earth should a catastrophe akin to a flood of biblical proportions overtake the planet.

Tardigrades can survive extremes of temperature and pressure, including the frigid vacuum of space. They don't seem to mind being exposed to radiation and are all-round tough little creatures. When dehydrated, they roll up into a spore-like state that slows down their metabolic rate by about a hundred-fold, enabling them to survive for potentially over 100 years.

I'm not concerned about polluting the moon with organisms that might reanimate. My concern is about polluting the moon, full stop. There is already a fairly sizeable amount of debris from redundant spacecraft and litter left behind by astronauts. As more missions are planned to the moon, eventually with human passengers and perhaps even settlements, we must learn to clean up as we go along. Otherwise, we are going to have the sort of crisis that we are seeing on Earth with the outcry about environmental damage from plastics.

I think these people jumped the gun in regard to using the Moon as a life repository. They couldn't even land their mooncraft successfully.

Sturgis

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 03:00 pm
@InfraBlue,
You're approaching it all wrong.
Not pollution, this is so we can say "the U.S.A. has established life itself upon the moon."
jespah

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 03:05 pm
In a million years, we'll be setting up diplomatic relations with them.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 03:18 pm
@jespah,
They're going to be populating Mars and Jupiter before you know it too!

I suppose they'll serve as the Welcome Committee when airships arrive from other galaxies.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 04:43 pm
@Sturgis,
Heh. Actually, they can say "Israel has established life itself upon the moon," and do Adonai one better.

I'm sure the tardigrades are kosher.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 06:04 pm
@InfraBlue,
As far as the u s government is concerned if Israel did it its ok.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 06:58 pm
I understand why the great plastic patch in the Pacific is a problem; it is impacting other life and is ugly. But the moon is a barren wasteland with no life (up to this point) and zero impact on any environment that impacts anyone.

Why do I care about this?
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 08:39 pm
@maxdancona,
Keep the Moon green... so to speak.
roger

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 08:43 pm
@InfraBlue,
That's kind of a cheesy comment.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 09:57 pm
@roger,
It was more than cheesy. It was lunacy.
roger

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 10:07 pm
@maxdancona,
I think you know I was referring to "The moon is made of green cheese" theory.

Oh, yeah. That kind of lunacy.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 9 Aug, 2019 10:24 pm
@roger,
Quote:
I think you know I was referring to "The moon is made of green cheese" theory.

No whey.
0 Replies

ekename

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 12:58 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
I'm sure the tardigrades are kosher.

Tardigrades, known colloquially as ... moss piglets, are a yummy phylum of water-dwelling eight-legged segmented micro-animals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardigrades

https://physicsworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/tardigrade-water-bear-490477430-iStock_Eraxion-635x476.jpg

It's apparent that they have taken off in the new world having landed in the sea of tranquility.

The colony is however undergoing an uprising on their hindmost six appendages and asking how wise apes could have allowed a private consortium to send them.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 05:46 am
@InfraBlue,
Tardigrades live in water. I don’t think they are going to be too happy with their new home.
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 07:41 am
@rosborne979,
Yeah, they'll eventually die out after a hundred years or so.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 01:56 pm
@InfraBlue,
Or a meteorite could hit the moon and kick up some dust and Tardigrade bodies and they could get into space land on Europa and start making monoliths.

Hitching a ride on things and ending up where it isn’t supposed to be, is pretty much what micro-life is all about. Humans are just a convenient tool to exploit for their nefarious exploits.
farmerman

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 10:27 pm
@rosborne979,
this is hoow panspermia gets started
Sturgis

Reply Sat 10 Aug, 2019 10:34 pm
@farmerman,
You take that back! I'll bring in a group of evangelicals who'll cite biblical tales to show you wrong.
Then they'll tell you the earth is flat, flat, flat and how pyramids are grain storage units...

...on second thought, I'd rather not interact with evangelicals at this juncture in time.
RABEL222

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2019 12:42 pm
@Sturgis,
Some people think an omnipotent God can only create one way. You know, let it be and it was. If there is an omnipotent God he could do it the way scientists say he did. After all time to him would be nothing. Billions of years could be seconds to an omnipotent God. It gits my goat that people who have been educated in only religion are trying to make scientific decisions.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 11 Aug, 2019 01:56 pm
@RABEL222,
1. Are you any more educated in science than these "religious people"?

2. What scientific decisions are you talking about?

Science is not anti-religion, nor does science have anything to say about whether humans should put tardigrades on the moon.
0 Replies