Before the moon existed were the seas still?

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 07:18 am
Right, I know that like 14 billion years ago or something (going from memory, haven't googled it yet) the moon was part of the earth. Then an asteroid hit us and, blam (that was the actual noise), the moon splintered off and shot out into space where it turned sperical as a result of having its own gravitational pull.

here's my question...

Were there seas on earth then, and, if so, were there tides or were the seas still?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,185 • Replies: 8
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 07:54 am
@iamsam82,
I don't believe the oceans existed at before the moon was formed (by the large impactor event you described). And if they did, there would not have been tides.

I believe the Earth was still mostly molten at the time the moon was formed. And it was certainly molten after the impact (at least for a while).

0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 07:55 am
@iamsam82,
I understand the tides to be a function of both sun and moon, so assuming the oceans existed before the moon did there would still be some "movement" due to the sun alone.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 08:05 am
@fresco,
Fresco's answer is correct, solar tides would still exist even if the moon did not. (however, I don't think the earth's oceans had formed before the moon anyway, so the only tides would have been tides of molten rock).

Theoretically, every object which interacts with the Earth gravitationally causes tides, but to a much smaller degree than we are used to with Lunar tides. Solar tides would obviously exist without the moon, but they would not be nearly as noticeable as lunar tides.

I suppose there would also be very small tidal effects from Jupiter and Saturn as well, although they would probably be so tiny as to be overwhelmed by local variations from other sources.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 11:27 am
The impact of the Mars size planet with the earth as others had said already came early when everything was way too hot for water to exist and as others also had said you do not need the moon to have some small tides as the sun product small tides.

In other word for once I agree with all the others posters!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

latonia515

Reply Thu 27 Aug, 2009 02:12 am
@fresco,
That's correct. The earth was mostley molten and rocks no oceans.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 02:18 am
According to a recent TV documentary, the moon's gravitational interaction with the earth is responsible for the 24 hour day. Without the moon, the earth would rotate four times faster and this would have had a significant effect on the devolopment of life. "Humans" with their 23/24 hour internal clock are unlikely to to have evolved.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 02:31 am
@fresco,
Our internal mechanisms are tied to the current earth rotational speed, but we could adapt to any speed and there is nothing special about the 24 hour speed re the intelligence that evolution can produce.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 29 Aug, 2009 06:56 am
@fresco,
fresco wrote:

According to a recent TV documentary, the moon's gravitational interaction with the earth is responsible for the 24 hour day. Without the moon, the earth would rotate four times faster and this would have had a significant effect on the devolopment of life. "Humans" with their 23/24 hour internal clock are unlikely to to have evolved.

That might have been nice. Every 2 hours we could take a nap, instead of having to sleep all night. Smile

Dolphins and Whales evolved to have half their brain sleep while the other half keeps swimming (and breathing). Maybe we would have developed sleep patterns more along those lines. Who's to say.

But any rewind of the biological clock probably wouldn't produce the same results anyway, even without speculating on major changes to the basic environment.

0 Replies