djjd62

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 03:41 pm
@Jase Crooks,
yeah, just last week, it was on all the news channels, how did you miss it
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 03:45 pm
@Jase Crooks,
The currently favored theory for the origin of the moon is the giant impact hypothesis which posits that the moon was created due to such a collision with earth.
farmerman

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 04:46 pm
@Robert Gentel,
There is evidence that rocks on a side of the moon are more acidic, hence they seem to be including some crustal material from a source not the moon itself.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 06:29 pm
@Jase Crooks,
Jase Crooks wrote:

Has the moon ever collided with earth

No.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 10:53 pm
No. But it regularly collides with lovers, according to Dean Martin.

When the moon hits your eyes,
like a big pizza pie,
thats amore...

The origin theory was a proto earth collided with another body and the current earth and moon were formed from the collision. I dont buy it. I think the moon was a foreign body in a very similar orbit rather than a crossing orbit and it was captured far closer than it is now, tearing and heating up the surface of both.
0 Replies

g day

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 05:05 pm
@Jase Crooks,

Apparently the only capture scenario that works for an Earth / Moon binary system at our distance from the Sun, mass, orbital velocity is a glancing collison with a Mars size planetoid, that melts our crust, transfers over half the mass of the object to Earth, and leaves a debris cloud - like Saturns rings - of the other half, which eventually congeals under gravity to form the Moon we so know and love. I believe pretty exhaustive modelling has ruled out every other alternative and the Earth and Moon show high simalarity in rocks, but the Moon lacks abundance of heavier elements - which under the collsion model would have been deposited on our planet.
roger

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 09:19 pm
@g day,
From that, can I conclude they don't collide very often?
g day

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 06:35 pm
@roger,

Once so far - and it was a total fender bender.

Unlike artifical satellites- which generally slow down as they hit space dust and hydrogen atoms and over very long periods eventually fall to Earth, the Moon is recessing - and is moving away from Earth a few centimetres each year (measurable and checked by lasers on a daily basis) - the average Earth / Moon distance is growing.

Played backwards of course this means during the ages of the dinosaurs the Moon would have been much, much closer to Earth!
roger

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2010 07:21 pm
@g day,
I heard about that. If it recedes too far, we are going to miss the best part of the solar eclipse.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 05:43 am
@g day,
I knew a teenaged kid in the 1980s who, when he learned about this, became genuinely alarmed. I had a hard time convincing him that he wouldn't live to see the day . . .
0 Replies