What happens when you take and use expired prescription medicine?

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2019 08:07 pm
Hi. I am just a bit curious. I have two types of prescription meds - cyclobenzaprine and naproxen. Both meds expired a year ago.

What would happen if I took and used them? Would I get sick? Or would the meds no longer be potent and effective?

Please help- thank you.

Sturgis

Reply Tue 30 Jul, 2019 10:32 pm
@JGoldman10,
Most medications are still quite potent several years past the expiration date which is given.

According to the study of some 100 medications, they ad still good some 15 years later. Click here >>> www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/drug-expiration-dates-do-they-mean-anything

Read the article as there are certain exceptions. As to the medications you specifically mention, check with your pharmacist.
jespah

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 04:26 am
@Sturgis,
Oh thank you for this. I've kinda wondered it myself.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 06:50 am
@JGoldman10,
The expiration date is the date the guarantee expires. Time has no direct effect on a product unless it is radioactive, alive, or some sort of chemical reaction. For example, biscuit mix contains shortening which absorbs oxygen and becomes rancid. Packaged mix stays good until the package develops a hole, even a very small hole, and oxygen gets in. Canned food stays good until the can swells. Anything packed in a plastic container might absorb gases from the plastic over a period of time.

https://bigmemes.funnyjunk.com/pictures/280+million+year+old+salt_80c50f_6020769.jpg
SOURCE: https://funnyjunk.com/
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 08:47 am
@JGoldman10,
Most of the medication info is available online by googling. While googling I found that Cyclobenzaprine is intended for usage for no more than two weeks AT MOST. Generally, these things are stated on the label or were explained when dispensed by your physician. Furthermore it states that using after two weeks it loses its effectiveness. Whether or not you exceed its expiration date is a moot point. If it were me in this situation, I would consult my physician and/or pharmacist.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 31 Jul, 2019 12:38 pm
@Ragman,
Thank you. I intend to when I have the time.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 2 Aug, 2019 01:22 pm
As one the time of the posting of this, I just asked someone in the pharmacy department of my local supermarket about taking expired prescription medicine. She told me prescription cyclobenzaprine and naproxen that has expired about a year ago will have lost some potency, but will not make you sick if you take them.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 2 Aug, 2019 04:33 pm
@JGoldman10,
I'm still going to contact my physician about renewing my prescriptions.
0 Replies