I'm going to Thailand

Wilso

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 05:53 am
The first time I'll ever leave Australia's shores. 3 days in Bangkok. Flight to Ko Samui and then ferry to Ko Pha-Ngan-7 days there. Back to Ko Samui and fly to Phuket for 5 days. Then back to Bangkok and I've got 5 days to choose what to do before flying home. I'm deliberately not being too adventurous until I'm a bit better at this travel thing. I could do with some ideas for that last 5 days. I'm not a big city person and I'm told Bangkok is a pulsating place. (I'll be staying in a nice hotel there). Any tips will be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,101 • Replies: 107
No top replies

koolplay

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 11:57 pm
Great,Thailand is sheerly a city for travel.
the famous and most impressive think which will be left in your mind is the tropical fruits and she-male.
Is it?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 12:01 am
Wilso's back! And with an adventure! Never been to Thailand, but will eagerly eavesdrop what others have to say.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 11:46 am
Fantastic - seeing Wilso, and hearing about planned trip.

Clary - are you out there?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 02:48 pm
Hi Wilso, glad to hear you're getting out of the Oz and into the rest of the world!!
You might consider going to the bridge on the River Kwai from Bkk, it's not far by train and is attractive and historically interesting - after beach beach beach it may be what you feel like. I've never been to northern Thailand, but I hear Chiang Rai (via Chiang Mai) is very nice. When I had a few days to spare from Bkk, I went to Laos, which is beautifully forested and more primitive than Thailand, but if it's your first venture in these funny foreign parts, maybe sticking to civilisation is what you want?
The Lonely Planet guide will give you all the info you need, they're very good.
Samui is the prettiest airport I ever did see!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 08:18 pm
Congrats, Wilso. You'll love it! Just don't take anything too seriously; relax, and enjoy yourself. The only suggestion I have is "BE FLEXIBLE" when you travel. Just flow with the wind, and you'll be fine. Seems you're allowing yourself plenty of relaxation time; that's good. Stop and smell the roses once in awhile; too many travelers move from one spot to the next without really enjoying the environment, and getting to know what they've visited. Sometimes just sitting in the hotel lobby bar having a drink to watch the world pass by is an enjoyable activity.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 02:39 am
Remember not to point your feet towards anyone when you're sitting (and definitely not when you go to see one of the wonderful statues of the Buddha that are in Bangkok). Bargain for everything, the Thais expect you to and they like it when you do but be fair. If you haven't tried it already, Singha beer is great with the food. And if you hire a car remember that you are driving in a country where people believe in reincarnation Very Happy

Oh and accept that Thais don't appreciate the exuberance that us Westerners can exhibit (although that doesn't apply in bars or at the Muay Thai - and that's worth a visit too).

You'll love it though, the Thai people are very friendly and welcoming but be wary of those smooth types that want to be your friend (you'll find them outside your hotel) and show you around.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:47 am
While in Bangkok, don't miss the Jim Thompson home. I second the Singha beer. On the bargaining tho, once you agree on a price, you must buy. A good way to learn the system is to watch several people bargain for a purchase. Some will start at 50 percent of the asking price.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:51 am
Col man will be there as well, Wilso. Watch for him in the jungles.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 2 Jun, 2005 09:04 pm
Yay, Wilso....go for it.

I've never been to Thailand, apart from several hours in Bangkok airport. Waiting on stories.

(I miss ColMan!)
0 Replies

Pepito

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 02:28 pm
One thing Thailand is famous for are the temples (known as Wats). After seeing about three or so you will be watted out. Therefore you might as well see the best. Visit the Grand Palace in Bangkok and its compound.

Also, if you have a full day to spare in Bangkok take a river cruise up the Chaoprya river. Besides, seeing the sites along the river, it makes several interesting stops.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 04:32 pm
You can go all the way to Ayutthaya, ancient capital, by river... make a day of it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 05:00 pm
I highly recommend the Rose Garden for a day visit which includes lunch. It's the only place I know where plants float on the river and move along with the flow. The Floating Market is also interesting.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2005 11:00 pm
About time you ventured out of Oz, Wilso! :wink: And I suspect that you'll really enjoy Thailand! Lucky you. (I wish I was heading off again to somewhere (almost anywhere!) in Asia. Long time no travel. Sad )
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 03:59 am
I'm writing down all these ideas. Anything I can do from Bangkok is great (for those last 5 days). Someone mentioned Pattya but from the lonely planet description it sounds mostly like a bunch of drunk western tourists and if I wanted that I could go to the gold coast.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 04:15 am
No, the River Kwai, or Ayutthaya, either by boat or train, are much nicer, more interesting. Pattaya is prostitute heaven, though my son enjoyed the water sports there - when he was 11 and too young for the other... The Gold Coast comes close.
I took a minibus from Bkk to Koh Samet, a very attractive white sand island which is nearest to Bkk, but protected as a natural reserve. However, you'll be doing beach, so not really worth it.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 04:21 am
Without being too crude- I AM a single guy and I'll be there by myself!!!
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 04:31 am
Well, Thailand is famous for it, but all the same, Pattaya is a very crude and noisy place - Western and Chinese men on the pickup. I'm sure you can find a better class of girl somewhere else!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 05:05 am
Bangkok?
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 05:36 am
Probably - but I don't know! There must be gents out there who know more than I do...Smile
0 Replies