I'm going to Thailand

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 09:35 am
Wilso, The HIV/AIDS rate in Bangkok is very high. The temptation will be high, because a man will approach you almost every (other) street and ask if you want a "young girl." The risk is too great, and the temptation everywhere you go. Wink
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 09:37 am
"Thailand, though, is also a reminder that success can be relative. Its well funded, politically supported and comprehensive prevention programmes have saved millions of lives, reducing the number of new HIV infections from 140,000 in 1991 to 21,000 in 2003. None the less, one-in-100 Thais in this country of 65 million people is infected with HIV, and AIDS has become the leading cause of death.2"
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:34 am
24 hours from now I'll be on my way. 4 of the last 5 days I'll be in Chiang Mai. Picked up a web booking, return from Bangkok for $110!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:35 am
WOO HOO! Very Happy
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:36 am
YAY, have a grrrrrrreat time!!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 09:02 pm
My ride to the airport will be here in 90min. Time is crawling!!! I want to go.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 11:26 pm
Reading this now, I can only hope you are gone!!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 11:31 pm
Oh, I'd say so, osso!

How exciting, Wilso's first trip outside of Oz! Very Happy
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 01:02 am
Hi guys, just found this net kiosk terminal at the airport. I've got an hour until boarding. So far the whole experience has been pretty smooth and painless.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 01:11 am
Yippy !! Have a great time and look fwd to hearing all (and I mean all) stories !!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 01:13 am
Do you want me to PM the "juicier" one's? Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 01:42 am
Wilso, there's been a very recent (last half hour) travel warning for Oz travellors in Thailand .... Concerning southern areas, not where you're headed, the north. It might be a good idea to access Oz government travel info on the net as you're planning your movements in Thailand.

Good luck & have a great time! Very Happy
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 02:25 am
With respect, Olga, I don't think one should regard too highly those warnings. They tend to be out of date, and represent a very tiny risk. Usually, it means those areas are better than others because people have been warned off, and the hotel owners are delighted to offer you a discount!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 02:38 am
No, this was a NEW, urgent one issued this afternoon. I don't want to cause alarm. I just think it'd be a good idea for Wilso to keep an eye on what's being said.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:34 pm
I'm in the foyer of the hotel I'm staying at. Just taking a few minutes out to absorb. Culture shock and sensory overload!!! Held pythons, fed elephants, drank cocunut milk and eaten mangoes at the floating markets. It's an unbelievable place. I haven't stopped in two days. It's already been worth the trip.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:50 pm
I agree with Clary; those warnings are over-done IMHO. The likelihood that something bad will happen is so remote, it's safer to be at your planned destination than it is to be at home driving your car. Just take the normal precautions you would in any large city in the world; don't broadcast the amount of money you have out in the open - as I have seen some tourists do. Otherwise, you should be fine. I'm traveling to Bali in August; the US State Department has travel warnings to Bali for Americans. I know about the bombings a few years ago that killed over 200 Aussies there, but there hasn't been anything since then. Besides, it's unlikely that our group will be in a night club venue where Aussies and Americans seem to congregate. If anything, I'll be sitting in the hotel bar with some of my travel companions to have some drinks in the evenings.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 08:58 pm
Wilso, glad you are having such a rich time, good that you took the step...
CI, I wish you a great trip to Bali..
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 09:03 pm
Wonderful, Wilso! Very Happy

And you missed the worst of the rains! Good timing!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 09:16 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I agree with Clary; those warnings are over-done IMHO. The likelihood that something bad will happen is so remote, it's safer to be at your planned destination than it is to be at home driving your car. Just take the normal precautions you would in any large city in the world; don't broadcast the amount of money you have out in the open - as I have seen some tourists do. Otherwise, you should be fine. I'm traveling to Bali in August; the US State Department has travel warnings to Bali for Americans. I know about the bombings a few years ago that killed over 200 Aussies there, but there hasn't been anything since then. Besides, it's unlikely that our group will be in a night club venue where Aussies and Americans seem to congregate. If anything, I'll be sitting in the hotel bar with some of my travel companions to have some drinks in the evenings.

(Whoops! Embarrassed )

c.i.

The reason I was concerned is that the Oz government tends to be very reluctant to issue travel warnings. Something to do with the sensibilities of our Asian neighbours whose countries often rely heavily on tourism for income. Anyway, the warning I mentioned DID sound serious... & unusual in it's degree of warning. Normally such warnings don't make the news. This one did. However the areas of southern Thailand mentioned seem quite remote & off the normal beaten tourist track, so ...

Oh & have a samosa in the Lotus Cafe in Ubud for me, c.i.! I've spent many a pleasurable hour in that place! Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 09:36 pm
olga, Will do! Wish you could join me. Wink
0 Replies