What's the worst musicals of all time?

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2019 08:12 am

This Christmas, though it may not be the worst musical (staged or on the movie screen) of all time, Cats looks terrifying as the cats look like mutated furry fetish nightmares.

So... that said. What do you consider to be the worst musicals of all time? Cinema bound? Broadway bound? Amateur stage bound? TV bound?

Sturgis

Reply Mon 22 Jul, 2019 02:16 pm
@tsarstepan,
One that failed to take off, was the 1976 B'way musical, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Opened and closed in under a week!

Brought to us by the teaming up of Leonard Bernstein and Alan Jay Lerner,
farmerman

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 04:46 am
@tsarstepan,
Id say that there are very few GOOD musicals. I loved "The Producers" hen it was made into a movie with Zero Motel and Gene Wilder

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 08:12 am
I hate coming to threads like this, because I expect some of my favorite films to be trashed. That said, I hate when they set music to stories I always loved before the music was added, such as Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, Les Miserables and so forth.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 09:41 am
I only really like one musical.

0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 Jul, 2019 11:25 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

One that failed to take off, was the 1976 B'way musical, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Opened and closed in under a week!

Brought to us by the teaming up of Leonard Bernstein and Alan Jay Lerner,

For a brief second, I thought you were going to crap on the Broadway musical turned cult classic ... dare I say revolutionary musical, 1776. That would have been fightin' words!
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2019 09:30 am
The cancelled Batman The Musical would have been the worst or best musical. It was going to be written by Jim Steinman, who wrote and produced Meat Loaf's Bat Out of Hell albums.

Apparently, it was to be based on Tim Burton's two Batman films, with Batman, Catwoman and the Joker all having songs.

The project was cancelled in the early 2000s, but the demo tracks are available online.

https://youtu.be/wJ0LzMZnRZs

https://youtu.be/99gjG2BU_f8
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2019 01:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
I've never seen Les Miserables as a musical, but it just doesn't sound right. A tragic Opera, yes, but a musical?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2019 01:39 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:

I've never seen Les Miserables as a musical, but it just doesn't sound right. A tragic Opera, yes, but a musical?

AS a live musical (done right)? As I remember it (fondly), Les Mis was amazing. As a movie musical? It lost a great deal in translation. It was more boring than bad. There was pacing issues and it really needed to be shortened considerably. That said? Anne Hathaway? She deserved all the Oscar love she got from her pretty brief performance. Russell Crowe wasn't the worst singer in the universe as many claimed to be. He was pretty bad ... but for me? His singing wasn't a reason I ended up why I was so disappointed in the film adaptation.
farmerman

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2019 04:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
RUSSELL CROWE???, next thing your gonna tell me is that Lee Marvin or Clint Eastwood had singing roles
glitterbag

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2019 04:29 pm
@farmerman,
Well, both if them recorded forgettable records in the early 60's.
farmerman

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2019 04:37 pm
@glitterbag,
youre talkin about Shatner and Nimoy.

Ill come over an paint yer wagon if your right.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2019 04:46 pm
@farmerman,
I'll start buying the paint.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2019 04:50 pm
@glitterbag,
How can you forget "I was born under a wandering star' Marvin and "I talk to the trees" by Eastwood?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2019 04:57 pm
Don't forget Crowe played Johnny Cash - Walk the Line
glitterbag

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2019 05:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think that was Joaquin Phoenix........I loved the movie
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2019 05:09 pm
@glitterbag,
Yeah, you're right. I remember now. Didn't matter. Either one would not have pleased me, doing their own singing.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 25 Jul, 2019 05:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
No one can really do Johnny Cash justice, but I really liked the movie.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2019 05:23 pm
Guys and Dolls, the movie. Marlon Brando wasn't much of a singer.

I generally don't like musicals; one minute people are talking, the next minute, they're singing. However, of all the musicals I've seen, nothing was as good as Les Miserables (on Broadway).
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Jul, 2019 06:58 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

Guys and Dolls, the movie. Marlon Brando wasn't much of a singer.

I generally don't like musicals; one minute people are talking, the next minute, they're singing. However, of all the musicals I've seen, nothing was as good as Les Miserables (on Broadway).

I think you've nailed it. I saw about fifteen minutes of Guys and Dolls.
0 Replies