What's the worst musicals of all time?

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2020 10:24 am
First time I saw Rent, I thought it was the worst musical I had ever seen. But I seen five productions of it over the years...and have watched the movie version several times...

...and now think it may be my personal favorite.

I've seen Oklahoma, Hello Dolly, Hair on Broadway...and enjoyed them. I favor local productions...cheaper and more interesting in my opinion.

Saw outdoor production of Spamalot two years ago (directed by a friend of mine)...and I think it was spectacular.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2020 11:39 am
@Frank Apisa,
I'm glad you mentioned Rent, I went with a few friends to see Rent in Baltimore.....we decided to leave at intermission. Hated it, but maybe I should give it another look.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2020 11:46 am
Last summer, I saw the off Broadway show Bat Out of Hell: The Musical, based on the music of Jim Steinman (made popular by Meat Loaf).

I can't say it is bad, but it is in no way very good. The story is a dystopian punk version of Peter Pan, but the story is very all over the place and some of the songs (like "Paradise by the Dashboard Light") are out of the place due to the setting.

That said, much credit goes to actor Bradley Dean for playing the evil rich father (the Captain Hook stand-in). He pretty much goes all out, giving a appropriately cheesy exaggerated performance.

Almost makes curious about Jim Steinman's cancelled Batman musical from the 90s.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2020 12:44 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

I'm glad you mentioned Rent, I went with a few friends to see Rent in Baltimore.....we decided to leave at intermission. Hated it, but maybe I should give it another look.

Glitterbag, I swear to you that the first time I saw Rent I loathed it. It had been recommended by a good friend...a woman who had recommended several good movies/plays/musicals in the past.

At some point while watching it (the movie version) I turned to my wife and said, "What did Beth have against us to make us sit through this pile of ****?"

But on second viewing (months later and prompted by an urge I could not understand)...I realized it was super. I've seen it several times on stage in amateur productions (at Princeton, Rutgers, and a few independent local theaters) and loved it.

Give it another try...and see if it grows on you.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 07:39 am
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 09:47 am
I will show my hand here as an cinema ignoramus. While not a true musical, I disliked La La Land. Perhaps this new style or format put me off. It was groundbreaking and the director should be commended on his vision. However, it was wasted on me.

Anyone else agree...at all?
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 10:05 am
@Ragman,
I have to completely disagree as La La Land made my top 10 (or was it top 5) favorite films from 2016. But that's fair, music and musicals are definitely subjective to their beholders.
hightor

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 11:22 am
Anyone remember "Wildcat"?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Sep, 2020 01:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
I understand that Id be in a minority on this one, not just because it won the AA. It was quite innovative. I just found it unwatchable after 20 minutes. Interestingly, I viewed it early in its release as a friend who was in the TV biz had loaned me her copy to view.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 12:40 am
@Ragman,
I had to go back and check out La La Land. I was mixing it up with 3 the movies. I didn't like it much at all....I can't say it was bad, I just wouldn't want to see it again.
Teufel

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 02:12 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
What do you consider to be the worst musicals of all time?

All of them. Personally I cannot abide musicals.

Around 15yrs or so ago, my wife [the actual] Dr Teufel, wished to see 'Phantom of the Opera' at the cinema ... So off we go.

Both of us believe that the entire production has just one song, the title song, 'Phantom of the Opera', which is played in one form or another from basically the start of the film to the end some 2hrs 23 minutes later ... It felt much, much longer Shocked
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 04:11 am
@glitterbag,
Thanks for the comment. I just remembered another musical I disliked: “On a Clear Day, You Can See Forever”. Oy, what torture.

If someone wanted me to be a permanent resident of a funny farm, that’d bet he way to go - to rewatch La La Land.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 01:08 pm
@Ragman,
This movie is not a musical, but everybody loves 2001 A Space Odyssey.......... I've seen it twice in the theater and once on tv and I've fallen asleep every time. I guess everybody but me loves it.
Sturgis

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 01:34 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
...everybody loves...

Not everybody. It was never able to hold my attention. So very sorry to say this, but you are now the secretary of the Dislikers of 2001 A Space Odyssey fan club.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 01:45 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

This movie is not a musical, but everybody loves 2001 A Space Odyssey.......... I've seen it twice in the theater and once on tv and I've fallen asleep every time. I guess everybody but me loves it.

I have seen it at least 13 times in theaters (I lost count at some point, but it is at least 13 times)...and at least a half dozen times on television.

Without a doubt one of the greatest movies of all time.
Ragman

Reply Sun 6 Sep, 2020 01:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Without a doubt one of the greatest movies of all time.

Without a doubt, “2001” is a cinema critic’s delight. For me, it’s far better than NoDoz (or even Benadryl) to get me to sleep. However, the music is great, though I never understood any connection with what went on in the plot.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2021 03:08 pm
Sh!tty Sh!tty bang bang!
Sturgis

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2021 05:55 pm
@tsarstepan,
It's moments like this which make me wonder tsar, did you have a Chitty Chitty Hang Bang coloring book?

Question 2: would the movie need a different title today, due to the use of the word 'bang' in the title?

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 24 Jan, 2021 06:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
The villain is played by the same actor who played Goldfinger.

Ian Fleming wrote both of them too.

When I was a kid I loved it, I had the car, (not the real one.)
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 1 Feb, 2021 12:56 pm
@izzythepush,