10

What's the worst musicals of all time?

Frank Apisa

1  
Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2020 10:24 am
First time I saw Rent, I thought it was the worst musical I had ever seen. But I seen five productions of it over the years...and have watched the movie version several times...

...and now think it may be my personal favorite.

I've seen Oklahoma, Hello Dolly, Hair on Broadway...and enjoyed them. I favor local productions...cheaper and more interesting in my opinion.

Saw outdoor production of Spamalot two years ago (directed by a friend of mine)...and I think it was spectacular.

1  
Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2020 11:39 am
@Frank Apisa,
I'm glad you mentioned Rent, I went with a few friends to see Rent in Baltimore.....we decided to leave at intermission. Hated it, but maybe I should give it another look.
Rebelofnj

1  
Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2020 11:46 am
Last summer, I saw the off Broadway show Bat Out of Hell: The Musical, based on the music of Jim Steinman (made popular by Meat Loaf).

I can't say it is bad, but it is in no way very good. The story is a dystopian punk version of Peter Pan, but the story is very all over the place and some of the songs (like "Paradise by the Dashboard Light") are out of the place due to the setting.

That said, much credit goes to actor Bradley Dean for playing the evil rich father (the Captain Hook stand-in). He pretty much goes all out, giving a appropriately cheesy exaggerated performance.

Almost makes curious about Jim Steinman's cancelled Batman musical from the 90s.

Frank Apisa

1  
Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2020 12:44 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Glitterbag, I swear to you that the first time I saw Rent I loathed it. It had been recommended by a good friend...a woman who had recommended several good movies/plays/musicals in the past.

At some point while watching it (the movie version) I turned to my wife and said, "What did Beth have against us to make us sit through this pile of ****?"

But on second viewing (months later and prompted by an urge I could not understand)...I realized it was super. I've seen it several times on stage in amateur productions (at Princeton, Rutgers, and a few independent local theaters) and loved it.

Give it another try...and see if it grows on you.