Insanity or Paralysis or Both?

MrIVI

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 10:34 pm
Are there any diseases that cause a deterioration of the brain that might cause both physical and mental disability that could lead to insanity or paralysis or both? I'm thinking it could even be a brain tumor maybe? Just want an opinion.

I'm working on a short story and I need the right disease for a character.

One more question: Can aides lead to paralysis?

Anybody knowing the answers to one of both of the questions, I would just love!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,718 • Replies: 22
No top replies

escvelocity

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 10:52 pm
syphilis
Sexually transmitted disease caused by the spiral-shaped bacterium (spirochete) Treponema pallidum. Untreated, it runs its course in three stages over many years, often starting with a painless hard sore, or chancre, developing within a month on the area of infection (usually the genitals). The second stage, months later, is a rash with arthritis, hepatitis, and/or meningitis. The third stage, years later, leads eventually to paralysis, blindness, insanity, and death. The Wassermann test is a diagnostic blood test for syphilis.
0 Replies

escvelocity

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 11:11 pm
Aids just attacks your immune system leaving you vulnerable to to catch what might eventually kill you.
So....a person with aids could get meningitis easily, and not respond well to antibiotics...and suffer paralysis and mental disorders...other diseases are...Encephalitis....i'll let you research these.....Hodgkin's Disease...Hysteria...
Hmmmm...this link seems to provide a bunch you can go over...
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/paralysis_symptoms.htm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 11:16 pm
Could be quite a wait for syphilis, plus you'd have to have a character get syphilis now and it has been pretty quiescent for a while, except here and there.

AIDs - paralysis is not any key symptom.

My suggestion is not to name any disease. After all, paralysis is basically metaphoric, is it not? It is antagonistic to the ambiance of the story to be too detailed.
0 Replies

escvelocity

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 11:26 pm
Would be better to offer suggestions if we knew more about the character.....like age would be an important factor....and...if you wanted a slow progressing disease or rapid Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 28 May, 2005 11:50 pm
I'm old enough to have friends or friends of friends who have gone through various debilitating deaths, and so I am a little betwixt re someone writing a fantasy story about that.

Besides, the story will only work at the side of the disease.
The odd symptom will suffice, or a couple of words. Less is more - and is not so using of people who have enough michegas as it is.
0 Replies

MrIVI

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 02:13 am
Thanks
escvelocity wrote:
Would be better to offer suggestions if we knew more about the character.....like age would be an important factor....and...if you wanted a slow progressing disease or rapid Very Happy

Hey, thanks for the help guys!

Well the character is permanently living in a private medical care facility. Originally her troubles were not explained as being caused by a disease, she was simply experiencing mental troubles. Later in the story, she experienced a lot of health problems that culminated in paralysis. Anyway, I did a poor job at putting the two story strands together, so I decided to make them all stem from the same disease. (Seems to me like the logical solution.) Anyway, that's why I'm out looking for a disease.

ossobuco wrote:
My suggestion is not to name any disease. After all, paralysis is basically metaphoric, is it not? It is antagonistic to the ambiance of the story to be too detailed.
0 Replies

escvelocity

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 12:17 pm
Hmmmm....this day and age, they seem to have an answer for everything lol....what year does this story take place?
0 Replies

MrIVI

Reply Sun 29 May, 2005 09:33 pm
Current Time.
0 Replies

MrIVI

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 12:32 pm
Oh Man!
No more help?!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 09:58 pm
Eh, in my memory, the classic connections have been syphilis with insanity and or paralysis. But, I dunno. Have you googled the two together with, say, symptoms?
0 Replies

MrIVI

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 12:11 am
That Might Work
I thought though, that the whole insanity part was more of a myth. See I don't really know anything about diseases. If syphilis can cause insanity I think that might work.

PS: I would though, prefer a disease not quite so sexually oriented. Or am I confused about that too?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 10:39 am
A link on syphilis -

http://www.vh.org/adult/patient/obgyn/syphilis/

A link on conversion disorder -

http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic112.htm
0 Replies

MrIVI

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 11:58 am
Thanks
You've been great! Thanks!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 06:59 pm
<no problem... my ex husband is a writer - I understand...>

The conversion disorder, which I've never heard of before, makes more sense to me relative to your story needs...

if you go to google.com and enter 'conversion disorder', you'll probably find a lot more info, though it will take a bit of sleuthing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Jun, 2005 07:06 pm
I had a client/patient with a conversion disorder when I worked in a rehab facility 20+ years ago.

Truly one of the oddest clients/diagnoses I've ever worked with. Her primary therapist and I were just talking about A a few months ago. Memorable for both of us.
0 Replies

MrIVI

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:11 pm
Again!
Hey, Sorry to be a pain in the butt. Got another question. Does anyone know of a disease that can cause measurable deterioration of the brain? Hence it isn't just like the brain doesn't seem to be working. There's actual deterioration. Anyway, I really like the "conversion disorder" but I might go with something with an actual physical disorder. I was reading on the "conversion disorder" and they said there are no actual physical causes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:18 pm
You need to get to some sort of psychiatric site to chat about this, I think. At least some of us think biochemical mechanisms underly much behavior, societally approved or problematic, with the added perplexity that experiential components affect change too.

Heh, good luck. So, you're tied in to this story?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:25 pm
I say, you're tied to this story? since I have spent a lot of time in my life around stories changing. Things seem generally if not always to flow better if they start from a known circumstance and behavior instead of construction laid upon more construction - but that is just my view.. If you are going for sci-fi, I am no help at all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2005 10:28 pm
Which is not to discourage you from doing that... but wondering, if it is sci-fi you are interested in, then ask a question in the original writing or literature forum, and give a link to this one, if you know how to do that, and if you don't, some of us can help you.
0 Replies