BBC News: Banning Knives in England

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 10:44 am
do they still make Ice Picks? Mine is getting worn out.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 1 Jul, 2005 11:00 am
The British shouldn't be allowed to own anything sharper than a rubber ball.

Next thing, they will want to cover all their children with spray foam insulation so they dont take the chance of hurting themselves in the big nasty world. Rolling Eyes

The Nanny State is alive and well in the UK
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 06:01 am
London Bombs killed at least 50

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/default.stm

Fedral wrote:
The British shouldn't be allowed to own anything sharper than a rubber ball.

Next thing, they will want to cover all their children with spray foam insulation so they dont take the chance of hurting themselves in the big nasty world. Rolling Eyes

The Nanny State is alive and well in the UK

"It is not easy to frighten the British," says Hungary's Nepszabadsag, pointing to our "self-control".

Germany's Sueddeutsche Zeitung says the reaction of Londoners was "remarkable and quite exemplary".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4662769.stm

Just wanted to let you know, Fedral, that when they threw something sharper than a rubber ball at us we responded with dignity.

We suffered 30 years of IRA bombings. We defied Hitler through the Blitz.
The "big nasty world" as you call it - knows that. And when someone tests our metal, they and we are reminded of it.

I'm angry right now, because someone tried to blow up the f*cking town I was born in.
And contrary to what you believe...right here, right now it's hard to watch, but people are returning to their business. Many are taking the train. Some of them are children...and none of them seem to be wearing "spray foam insulation".
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 11:44 am
And you have every right to be f***ing angry ... I'm f***ing angry about it too. Nobody questions the heroism and bravery of the British. You are a resilient people, and have had to deal with the spectre of terrorism for a lot longer than the US has. We share your anguish and anger about yesterday's attacks.

I don't think that Fedral's comment was intended to disparage the English ... if such a law were proposed over here, it would be met with similar disdain.

And typically, our comments about lack of bravery or fortitude are reserved for the French. :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 02:05 pm
Remember here in the states some towns have tried to outlaw spray paint to prevent graffiti.

Meanwhile, twisting the British Lion's tail is generally not a good idea for the twister.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 06:55 pm
I read my post - and the following two - after sobering up today.
I realize how angry I'd been about the bombings and that it was unfair to write a response to Fedral's post fuelled on what had happened over here.

I have to say that Fedral's post had been bugging me for a few days and that I typed up my reply while polishing off a bottle of Bush Mills (best Irish whiskey) - not a good idea maybe, but I'd come to the end of my rope - thanks for cutting me some slack.

Peace,
E
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Jul, 2005 06:58 pm
Actually, I think you were well entitled to respond to Fedral's extremely ignorant post in just the way you did - bombings or no bombings!
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Mon 11 Jul, 2005 12:59 pm
Keep in mind, my comment was posted 6 days before the incident of July 7th and was merely a comment on the absolute ludicrousness of a ban on 'sharp pointy' knives (I thought the defining characteristic of a knife was its 'sharp pointy ness')

My mum was born in Liverpool ... lived through the bombings that hammered that city and when she was 25 emigrated here to America. Many of my relatives still live there and have fought and died for King and Country.

My comment was not an indictment of the English, but no matter your political affiliation, this idea of banning 'pointy' knives is idiotic in the extreme.
0 Replies