Light the way for me oh lord.

Diane

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:19 pm
Eva, I know that these groups would be terribly disappointed if they didn't get any ink out of their actions, but don't you think that an article about the childish, hateful methods they use would show them up for the hateful, spoiled, overage children they really are? If nothing is said, it makes those who secretly agree with these idiots think that what they did isn't so bad.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:03 pm
Maybe.

Or maybe it will let other hateful, spoiled, overage children know where to find them, and validate their actions by giving them 15 minutes of fame.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:08 pm
Sigh, I know. There isn't an easy answer. If only there was some way to embarrass them. Or would that even work? I'm at a loss to understand people like that.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 11:43 pm
Yeah, me too.

The last time we had a KKK rally here, the city leaders wisely decided NOT to turn down their request for a permit. (They would have run straight to the national media, attracting God only knows how many more similar groups.) Instead, the city council approved their permit but changed their requested highly-visible downtown location to a small, run-down park in a very inconvenient location known to be claimed by rival black gangs. Understandably, it turned out to be a very small rally. Only a dozen or so had the guts to show up, so the media didn't even bother covering it. That was the best way I've seen to defuse them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 04:44 am
The KKK wants to educate us in Tomball as to the group's true history and intent. To me, a picture of a body hanging by the neck from a tree sums it up. They should have to live with this image until it gives them nightmares.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 05:40 am
dys, hard to believe that his is anything more than a cheap publicity stunt. People do lots of inane things for recognition. Anyway, that's what I would LIKE to believe.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 06:29 am
Re: Light the way for me oh lord.
dyslexia wrote:
Quote:
DURHAM, N.C. -- Three large crosses were burned in separate spots around the city during a span of just over an hour, and yellow fliers with Ku Klux Klan sayings were found at one location, police said.

The cross burnings Wednesday night marked the first time in recent memory that one of the South's most notorious symbols of racial hatred has been seen in the city.
"At this day and time, I thought we'd be beyond that," said Mayor Bill Bell. "People do things for different reasons, and I don't have the slightest idea why anyone would do this."

The first burning was reported at 9:19 p.m. outside St. Luke's Episcopal Church. The next came at 9:54 p.m. atop a large pile of dirt near an apartment complex construction site; the third was at 10:28 p.m. at a downtown intersection.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/26/AR2005052600272.html

What on eath do they have against those people/places?

I don't get this particular manifestation, as well as not getting the KKK generally....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 06:42 am
The klan will not go away. There are tons of disillusioned impressionable youngsters who, in their search for something to believe in, will follow these old tattooed loser Arian Nation types.We have a major klavern right over the Maryland line in a town named Rising Sun. Open meetings and symbols abound (Yall come to the "White power meeting" over at the X farm. Look fer the "electricross")
They have taken standard Christian doctrine and have turned it into some monstrously deformed version of Christianity.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 07:02 am
It may be KKK. It may be graduates on a dare. Might be gang related, initiation? I haven't heard anything about it definently being KKK.

I say this because it happened Wednesday night. Project Graduation (all nighter lock in type party for all grads in the county) was last night. Other than the church, the burnings were in an aprtment complex pile of dirt (No real labor needed to put it up) and an intersection downtown (which is under construction) so it wasn't pointedly against anyone as far as I can tell.

I think they are being appropriately cautious about giving KKK any credit.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 07:07 am
I agree, squinney.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 07:09 am
Also, St. Lukes is a predominantly "white" church. I say predominantly cause there may be others of all sorts in attendance any given Sunday, but the pics from their website indicate it's predominantly white.

So why would KKK burn a cross there?

Here are pics from one of their choir parties.

http://mysite.verizon.net/stlukeep/gallery/choirparty.html
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 07:15 am
**sigh** What is WRONG with people?? This makes me just sick.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 07:21 am
There has been a lot of violence in Durham just lately. Lots of gang activity and it's suspected that's what this incident was, rather than KKK type thing.

Last night there were so many sheriffs, cops and undercover people at Project Graduation, and all 3000 kids had to go through full metal detectors AND then be wanded to get in, that it was like a war zone.

Last Saturday at Wake County project grad in Raleigh we had gang related problems. It was kept out of the papers but it happened and arrests were made.

If this keeps up, I won't allow my children to attend the very Project Grads I help coordinate and dj for.

A shame really, and a mounting problem.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:36 am
http://www.heraldsun.com/durham/4-611407.html

Quote:
600 protest burnings at 3 Durham vigils

BY GINNY SKALSKI : The Herald-Sun
[email protected]
May 26, 2005 : 11:35 pm ET

DURHAM -- Tears welled up into Cassandra Allen's eyes as she looked around the candle-lit circle of about 250 people huddled at Durham's Oval Drive Park on Thursday night to stand against the hatred symbolized by three burning crosses found in the city the night before.

"I challenge you after you leave here tonight and your candle is long blown out that you do continue to let your light shine bright," Allen said.

Afterward, she walked back to the park's basketball court to retrieve her son's ball.

"I have a question," her 11-year-old son, Caron Allen, declared while playing with wax from his candle. "Is this going to turn into a big war or something?"

"I don't think so," Allen said. "Someone felt like they had a message to get across and they did it in a very cowardly way."

Durham residents were shaken by the news that three flaming crosses were found in the Bull City on Wednesday night. Almost 600 gathered at three vigils Thursday night to protest the burnings.

Although authorities have not pinpointed a motive for the burnings, many residents see them as an attack on the diversity they say attracts them to the city.

Community and religious leaders swiftly organized the three candlelight vigils to demonstrate they would not be intimidated by the symbols that some called "domestic terrorism."

Nearly 100 people gathered downtown and planted a crape myrtle tree at the site where one 7-foot cross burned the night before.

"We feel like we were victims" said the Rev. Ryon Price, a white 28-year-old who attended the vigil with his black wife, Irie. "Regardless of motive, we feel we are victims of a hateful act."

In southwestern Durham, about 225 people gathered at a construction site on South Roxboro Street, just north of Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway, where a cross was extinguished by firefighters the night before. Some of them prayed and others spoke about what the incidents meant to them.

"We are here together as a community and we will not let someone tear us apart with hatred," said Donna Kornegay, who brought her two young daughters to teach them what race means to some people. "I will not relinquish my power to those who hate me."

The city Human Relations Department is planning a larger communitywide unity rally for next week. Yvonne Peña, who heads the department, said it's important to coordinate an event catering to all backgrounds.

"The message is, 'We will not accept this kind of activity whatsoever,' " said Peña, who canceled her vacation after hearing about the incident so she could be involved in the investigation. "We're a diverse community and we're striving to overcome racial barriers."

More at link above

The school board reference is to recently proposed changes to board member elections. There is a lot of bussing to meet racial balance. The school your child attends isn't necessarily in the area for which your elected board member represents. This has been a major concern of late. May have something to do with that, but more likely it's just a stupid prank.

As you can see, it isn't being taken lightly and the community is rallying to make it clear that this behavior is not acceptable.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:46 am
I read an article a while back about the KKK. It was by some journalist who had supposedly infiltrated their group and lived among them for a few weeks. He said this particular gang was basically just a small bunch of unorganized drunk rednecks shouting idiocies to nobody in the middle of an empty field somewhere, and about as bold and dangerous as a wet firecracker.

The article seemed to be saying that the KKK was all but dead at that time, about five years ago or so.
0 Replies