Light the way for me oh lord.

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 06:41 pm
Quote:
DURHAM, N.C. -- Three large crosses were burned in separate spots around the city during a span of just over an hour, and yellow fliers with Ku Klux Klan sayings were found at one location, police said.

The cross burnings Wednesday night marked the first time in recent memory that one of the South's most notorious symbols of racial hatred has been seen in the city.
"At this day and time, I thought we'd be beyond that," said Mayor Bill Bell. "People do things for different reasons, and I don't have the slightest idea why anyone would do this."

The first burning was reported at 9:19 p.m. outside St. Luke's Episcopal Church. The next came at 9:54 p.m. atop a large pile of dirt near an apartment complex construction site; the third was at 10:28 p.m. at a downtown intersection.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/26/AR2005052600272.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,589 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Diane

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:15 pm
Why does this sickness still exist?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:18 pm
Misplaced resentment or something like that. Yaaack!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:57 pm
"At this day and time, I thought we'd be beyond that," said Mayor Bill Bell. "People do things for different reasons, and I don't have the slightest idea why anyone would do this."

way to sit on the fence on that one mayor bell

not exactly a scathing indictment of these a**holes actions
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:02 pm
Exactly DJ. When will we read about the outrage of North Carolinians at this atrocity?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:05 pm
N Carolina! what about the outrage from anywhere USA?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:12 pm
well, we've heard from arizona, california and canada so far

that's a start
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:18 pm
good point, so now we are only missing what about 300 million concerned citizens?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:23 pm
How much coverage will it get? Remember, the Michael Jackson trial is still going. Or is it?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:25 pm
The KKK will hold a rally in beautiful downtown Tomball (my home) next month. If the good lord's willin and the crick don't rise I hope to be there with the welcoming committee. I will be the one wearing the "Klucks Kooks Krapheads" tee shirt.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:28 pm
good on ya edgar but be ready to duck quickly.(and dont give them any matches)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:30 pm
I just wrote a long post and thought better of it, as it is sorta idiosyncratic, but, then, why is that different than any other of my posts. Back in a minute.

Also, Edgar, that is truly creepy. Really? Not that you would wear the tee shirt, but that these dudes/esses are so engaged in hatred.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:31 pm
one thing (but by no means the only thing) that bothers me about these groups

if you have the faith of your convictions, why the hoods and scurrying about in the night
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:34 pm
I just learned from the local rag that gets stuffed with the junk mail that they are indeed coming. I'm not sure about the day and time. I don't think the boss will let me off if it's during working hours.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:36 pm
I'm from anywhere, and virtually anyone I know here would fulminate against this, I'm confident of that. But then there is a batch of folks I don't hang around with, some of whom have probably come to our place at some time or other for a art gallery opening, if only because the crowd in town moves through open spaces, sometimes after some parade, of which there are many that pass by our place.

I suppose I should have been photoing the crowd in the gallery all this time, as the gallery as we know it is folding and changing. But, interested as I was in doing that for my own reasons of liking photos of people in galleries - I am often interested in people looking more than I am at the art - I would never invade privacy that way, on purpose, at least with identifiable people. So, after five years I have close to no photos of the sometimes amazingly crowded space, except for a few of the artists early in the evening. Suffice it to say the crowd varied, and many people went in a gallery door for the first time. Not to jump to the idea that people who don't go to galleries are Ku Klucks, ain't no connection, but that we had the odd quite hostile person waltz through. (Remind me of the stealing our turtles story).

Disaffected for sure. Getting off on it in some way. Feeling some back up from buddies (I bet my bippy they're guys, and not just one, not that there aren't some women out there with this resentment) Feeling they represent a point of view.

I hate to ask what their point of view is, as I might rather not see it in print.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:40 pm
one of these days I should writ up and post about when they burned a cross in my yard, maybe I'll do that someday.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:49 pm
as disturbing as the story sounds, i'd be interested in reading it if you feel like writing it
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:51 pm
OK, dys, I'd like to hear that.

Me, I see my niece treated as a hooker when she visits me here, truckers hooting at her. (Bile rises).

I'm thinking though, that there is a lot of dismissal of how some folks have any problems getting along, what with gov handouts and so on.

It might be some clue to someone new to this that such incredible hatred exists, and that a jump up is rightful.
I could argue pro or con on who gets jumps, but I am not so sure people who are in their twenties now have any clue of the wall that faced people of color or some religions just a bit ago - or even now.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:55 pm
it's funny, i work with a very culturaly diverse group of people, and sometimes cultural differences can lead to uncomfortable situations, and there are jerks in every nationality, however i can never imagine thinking of anybody as less of a person than my self or deserving of any kind of ridicule (i've told my share of non - pc jokes, but mostly at my own nationalities expense) or abuse
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 10:05 pm
I try as hard as I can to ignore these things so they don't attract attention. We don't want to give them ANY publicity.
0 Replies