What do you miss the most about the '80s and '90s?

izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 07:09 am
@JGoldman10,
I think you need to have a lie down.

I’m a non fart fetishist, fart fetishists have no place telling me what to do.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 07:21 am
@Rebelofnj,
Before I went to art school my parents were trying to get me involved in an art program outside of my old high school. There was a school offering a more extensive art program than the one my high school had at the time. I could have gotten the training I wanted and needed to work in animation. I probably could have also gotten the training I wanted and needed to learn how to produce comics professionally, but I wasn't even thinking about doing comics back then. They probably could have taught me how to professionally voice act for cartoons, or at the very least, directed me to another facility that taught people how to voice act professionally and/or told me what resources I should have used to learn how to voice act professionally, now that I think about it.

The school was part of the same district as my old high school but my high school didn't want to pay for the training at the other school, and by the time my parents found out about this art program at this other school I was a senior and it was too late.

If commercialized internet access had been around when I was in high school we could have found out about this school with the extensive art program a lot sooner. A family friend told my parents about this school and its extensive art program.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 07:29 am
@JGoldman10,
But you still attended a well regarded art school in NY where you could have received the resources you needed for a professional career.

You can't blame technology for not advancing fast enough.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 07:39 am
@Rebelofnj,
True, but I was young, immature and foolish-acting and I lacked focus. I had issues.

In hindsight I could have minored in Illustration and Cartooning or switched my major to Illustration and Cartooning to see if I really wanted to pursue learning how to produce comics professionally. I wasn't even thinking about doing that. As I said I didn't really express any interest in comics until I got into art school. An interest in comic books that is. I liked comic strips.

I thought animation was something I really wanted to do.

One of my old animation instructors was nice enough to send me an information packet in the mail about how to work for comic strip syndicates for newspapers. I still have it.

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 07:45 am
@Rebelofnj,
Do you know why the two brothers who founded the underground community site Newgrounds were able to do so back in the late '90s? They were focused.

I don't agree with everything that is on that site. A lot of it goes against my beliefs as a Christian. I was just bringing it up to make a point.

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 07:51 am
@Rebelofnj,
There were some special health supplements my mother got involved with and sold a couple of years ago that I used that weren't around when I was in art school; stuff that promoted mental acuity. I wish that stuff had been around when I was a student. I had a chemical imbalance and that stuff would have helped me focus and function a whole lot better.

Yes I had some personal health issues.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 08:10 am
@JGoldman10,
Having focus is a necessity when becoming a creator, who would have to deal with deadlines and artistic limitations daily. It is not unique to the founders of Newgrounds.

It also sounds like whatever health issues you have was a bigger obstacle to your career than the lack of modern technology.

Even if you had smartphones and the internet when you grew up, would they have been helpful in keeping you focused? Are they helping you stay focus now?
Sturgis

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 03:05 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Who died and made you boss?

Teddy Roosevelt
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 03:14 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Are you a Christian...think you have the right to tell Christians what to do.

It's a free public forum. This allows me to post my thoughts and make statements. You might not agree with all of it, which is fine.

If it makes you feel better I offer unsolicited advice to all. A person's religion or beliefs has zip to do with it. You see, even though I am not a Christian, I practice and adhere to the Christian tenet of treating all people in an equal manner. After all, aren't we all God's children? And doesn't God love us all equally?
If you don't, won't or simply can't manage to adhere to those basic tenets, maybe you are not truly a Christian.. You just want to parade about playing the holier than thou game.

But, it's okay. God will still love you.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 03:17 pm
@JGoldman10,
Chill, dudely, chill!
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 03:22 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I wouldn't say having personal health issues was necessarily a detriment to getting a career going but having to help take care of a relative with "special needs" for a long time didn't exactly help me. That was almost like a full-time job.

Probably a silly question but do indie comics and animation people adhere to production deadlines?
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 03:36 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Probably a silly question but do indie comics and animation people adhere to production deadlines?

Yes, if they want to keep their fanbase's attention. That is true with literally every industry, both professional and indie.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 04:18 pm
@Rebelofnj,
That's what I thought. It makes sense to adhere to some kind of schedule if they have a series going.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 10:21 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

I'm aware of the unimpressive games on the Atari Jaguar.

NOTE: the video has vulgar language
[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LVcvkLCUtU[/Youtube]

I'm familiar with the Angry Video Game Nerd. I've seen a few episodes from his series in the past and he's too crude and vulgar.

I'd rather watch the Happy Video Game Nerd. He cusses but he's not crude and vulgar.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 31 Jul, 2020 11:42 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
He cusses but he's not crude and vulgar.

Cussing by its very nature is crude and vulgar. Would you do such a thing to a person you love?

As Paul says in the book of Ephesians, "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good..."

Turns out, cursing and swearing are sinful. Now, how can a Christian (which you profess to be), find happiness in such evil?
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2020 12:15 am
@Sturgis,
Are you a Christian?
Ragman

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2020 08:42 am
@JGoldman10,
Who cares if he is or isn’t. His opinions have value regardless. Why avoid answering what he’s asked? Such Hypocrisy knows no limit.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2020 09:10 am
@Ragman,
He’s very good at avoiding questions which highlight his double standards.

He’s still not answered by question on Leviticus.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2020 12:27 pm
@Sturgis,
I know cussing is wrong. The Bible says to abstain from coarse and vulgar speech.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 1 Aug, 2020 12:28 pm
@Ragman,
I'm not being a hypocrite. I know cussing is wrong. The Bible says to abstain from coarse and vulgar speech.