Considering leaving the military

Mac90

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2019 04:50 am
Hi all,

I'm writing this here in the hopes that somebody can help me figure out what I want to do with myself!

So, my situation. I'm 27 and have spent the last 5 years of my life in the Military, after going to college studying Software Development at BTEC level.

I've really enjoyed my time in the military and it has certainly provided me with some amazing experiences.

Just under two years ago, I met my partner, which has seriously made me question my future in the military. My partner lives local to the base that I'm in, in a house with his parents, so we can see each other most evenings which is what I envision a normal life to be like!

I was travelling weekly to some nice (and some not so nice) countries, all expenses paid, for a few days at a time with work whilst in my last job. A few days away frequently isn't a big problem and is very manageable - the problem is, the Navy will at some point require me to go away for week/months (I was away for 9 continuous months 3 years ago) at a time.

I've been lucky enough to extend my draft at this base for another year whilst I figure things out, but this new job isn't so exciting.

I was offered promotion to the next rank, Leading Hand, a corporal equivalent in the Navy. I would have received a 11k pay rise but it would come at a massive cost.

There is a huge manning problem at that rank for people in my specialization - so bad in fact, that I would be guaranteed to be attached to a ship for the next 3/4 years or so. That's a long length of time to tie your life to a ship's programme! The money would be good, but I honestly don't think it's good enough for the lack of control that would come with it.

To top that, my branch, although a technical branch, is renown for not giving you the civilian accredited qualifications. Essentially, I'd be getting paid a decent wage but not developing professionally from it - which would leave me even more scared to leave the military than I am now.

In addition, I have seen some not-so worthy people be offered promotion, because of desperation evident within the Navy. This makes me feel as though I am capable of so much more, giving me a very suffocated feeling in terms of what I can reach professionally out of my career.

So now I've pretty much nailed the coffin on my Navy career - I can't be offered promotion again for two years, which isn't a problem because I decided long ago that there isn't a future for me here.

Six months ago, I applied for manning clearance to leave the Navy and join the RAF, as it offers a much more stable platform for family life and better professional development. You still deploy of course, but the deployment timings are much more predictable and the chance of being sent away for months with a weeks notice is much more slim.

Manning clearance was approved, and I have been granted a date next year for when I can be released from the Navy to the RAF (providing my RAF application process goes well).

Things were going good and I thought I had a clear way forward - until my partner talked about moving to Brighton.

He is in a very fortunate position financially and with his parents help, he is purchasing a property in Brighton. We both holiday there frequently and are in love with the place.

Now, unfortunately for me, the closest RAF base to Brighton is 90 minutes away, assuming good traffic on the M25/M23 (which is renown for its jams!)

There is also a chance of being based in the North, where over 70% of my new specialization would be based. My family are from the North, so I would get to see them more, but it is hours away from my partner.

So this situation has definitely made me think whether I'd be best off leaving the services entirely or not. Honestly, the only thing I'd miss if I left today would be the opportunities to go to the gym during the working day.

Leaving is such a scary prospect though. I've got some money saved, with the intentions of buying to let a cheaper property up in the North of England. I'm still way off the buy to let deposit though, as they generally require 20-40% deposit compared to a residential mortgage.

My partner has said that he won't charge me rent when I move in with him in Brighton, only that I will contribute to the utility/food bills. This should give me an opportunity to save money, as I do now (I pay a heavily subsidized rent for my military accommodation).

Still, I feel like I will be losing my identity by leaving the military. I've said to my partner, that although it will be his home on paper, I want to be able to call it 'home' and not just 'living with my partner'.

The scary part for me is finding a job which pays 5k more than I'm on now, in order to cover the differences in cost of living between military/civilians. I'm on £21k now - so it shouldn't be too difficult earning that, even with a lack of professional qualifications above a level 3 BTEC.

My gut instinct is telling me to leave and attempt to make it in a normal job, with a life where I can be at home every night and potentially have a much better lifestyle than I do now in terms of family life.

I guess I'm really writing this here because I'd like to hear what other people think of my situation - what would you do?

If you made it this far, thanks for reading - I appreciate it's a long post, but I felt I have to put a lot of info in there for scope!

Kind regards,
Mac

engineer

Reply Thu 4 Jul, 2019 06:16 am
@Mac90,
I left the Navy at 27. The Navy taught me many things, but being in the Navy means being deployed and I saw what that did to marriages. There were some marriages that it worked great for, they knew what the deal was and they embraced it. I also saw a lot of pain in couples who couldn't take the separation. When I got married, I knew my time in the Navy was going to end. It sounds like you have a great set of skills, so don't let fear of the unknown keep you in a situation that you know is not going to work for you long term. It sounds like you already know the answer.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 6 Jul, 2019 10:12 am
@Mac90,
Mac90 wrote:

“Just under two years ago, I met my partner, which has seriously made me question my future in the military. My partner lives local to the base that I'm in, in a house with his parents, so we can see each other most evenings. ..””
Living in this lifestyle with his parents is a temporary one at best. You need a stable solution and decision for your living situation as well as your career.

You went into the Navy with the goal of securing a good career in a stable decent paying one. Why not do whatever you can to secure that goal first and primarily. The love life and possibilities of a commitment can follow afterward and secondarily.

“There is a huge manning problem at that rank for people in my specialization ...
To top that, my branch, although a technical branch, is renown for not giving you the civilian accredited qualifications.”

Avoid this at all costs.

“He is in a very fortunate position financially and with his parents help, he is purchasing a property in Brighton. “

Here is a good situation for him to establish security and possibly roots. However,nit comes alongside with some dependence on parental involvement and possible interference. This could
be an issue if there’s an imbalance in your mutual financial arrangement . I’d say get your career established first and possibly outside of the military.

There’s a theme here in your overall message about goals you’ve communicated about advancement in job and financial security. Then there’s the uncertainty of life outside of the military.

“My gut instinct is telling me to leave and attempt to make it in a normal job, with a life where I can be at home every night and potentially have a much better lifestyle than I do now in terms of family life.”

Although you’ve not mentioned it at all, is this a same sex relationship? It matters not to me but it does have an impact on consideration with potential difficulties you might run into. Is it correct to assume his parents are on board in all possible ways ?
0 Replies