Young People: What is With the Attitude?

Jim

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:58 am
I haven't lived with our children now for several years (they have to go out-of-Kingdom for school after 9th grade), but I'm seeing a trend I don't care for much...

There's no perseverence. None of the "I'm going to finish this come Hell or high water" attitude that my parents (depression era kids) or I have (sticking it out at Helljob.)

Our two oldest seem to have the attitude "I'll try something, but if it isn't fun, or if it gets hard - I'll just quit". over, and over and over again. And short of applying a dose of tough love, I don't know what to do.

Our youngest (17 in a few weeks) just started work at McDonalds for the summer. I sure hope he sticks it out.

As for me, 359 days at Helljob until early retirement, and come Hell or highwater I am going to finish it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 06:59 am
benjamino wrote:
it just kinda winds me up when we all get lumped with them because we are young, people locking car doors when i walk past, or the looks i get walking past people at night etc.

What's the saying? One apple spoils the bushel? Kids will be kids but the antics have been upgraded from petty crime (stealing a pack of gum) to beating someone to death or shooting up a school because they are "sad".
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:00 am
Re: Young People: What is With the Attitude?
Marquis de Carabas wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Is it just me or do the young people today have a really bad attitude problem?

My dear lady... the village of the pyramid builders in egypt had the same thing carved on the walls as graffiti.

Unless mankind's entire existance has been a downward spiral of degeneracy (and I don't rule that out), you may be looking backwards on your youth with the kind eyes of forgiveness.

What Egypt didn't have was a carving of a school shooting or a beating from a group of "good kids" that didn't like another kid.
0 Replies

benjamino

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:11 am
[quote="Bella Dea]
What's the saying? One apple spoils the bushel? Kids will be kids but the antics have been upgraded from petty crime (stealing a pack of gum) to beating someone to death or shooting up a school because they are "sad".[/quote]

this is true, but i think this goes beyond just a bad attidude
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:26 am
Material Girl made a point about Madonna working at Dunkin Donuts so she's certain that her daughter understands the concept of values, or something like that. Somehow, having a personal fashion stylist at 8 years old and being taught to work for what you get, I just don't see these two incredibly contradictory concepts being crammed into one little girls' head.

Many of todays' parents worked at McDonald's or Wendy's or Dunkin Donuts in their youth but they aren't passing those ethics down to their offspring. From personal observation of the last twenty-plus years, it looks to me like many parents think that their babies come into this world already equipped with respect, compassion, drive, integrity, the building blocks that make up a responsible, caring adult and so, they don't take the time to teach these things and are genuinely hurt and baffled when the child grows up to be selfish, self-centered, without honor and totally lacking in drive or ambition. They don't understand what went wrong.

Every generation complains about the group coming up after them. I know. I remember our parents screaming about our hair, our clothes, our lack of respect. But this is very different. Today, basic human values are being kicked to the curb. Alot of kids are bottoming out because they simply were not taught how to cope with anything outside of mom and daddy. They're inundated with sex and violence from the time they learn how to turn on the radio or tv and the "I want it NOW" mentality goes across the board. I'm not saying that all children are like this but so many are that it's frightening. What will the NEXT generation bring?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 07:29 am
Quote:
But this is very different. Today, basic human values are being kicked to the curb.

'Course, they all say this, too... Wink
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:26 am
eoe-All I mean is that the only things we see and base celebs on are the OTT things reported in the paper which reporters would consider to be entertaining.
I think an 8 year old having a personal stylist is ridiculous but Ive also heard Madge say that her daughter chooses her own clothes, so which is true.
Do we really believe the papers??!!Personnally I prefer to believe what I actually hear people say or personnaly experience, not what I read.

I think i d make the kid earn money by doing chores round the house, then they can buy what they like.
If they behave really badly, when they go out I go in their room and strip it down to the bare minimum, no tv, no computer, no music, no gameboy etc and see what their attitude is like then.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:31 am
I remember getting alot of that attitude as well Ben...
I ran away from home when I was a teenager ( holy shlt.. i WAS an angry teen Shocked ) and I was homeless for 4-5 years..
I could be just standing on a corner waiting to cross the street... as soon as all the cars came to a stop , you could feel the thunder of doors locking. ?! WTF? I didnt do anything to anyone. But for some reason.. young teen on the corner, OH MY GOD!! Everyone lock thier door! She has WEAPONS of MASS DESTRUCTION in that backpack. Rolling Eyes
I remember also, riding the bus, and people sitting ANYWHERE but with in 5 seats of me. It was like I had aids and all you had to do was look at me and you would get it.
Strange.. but it still happens today.
People jump to the conclusion that kids are going to rob you, push you, try to fight with you.. blah blah blah. Yeah, there are SOME out there who do, but I guarantee you.. there are 3xs as many adults who will easily do worse to you.

Teens are angry. They always have been ( as somone referred to egyptian times) and I agree. The hormone races have not changed. Outta control hormones = out of control emotions. It will stay the same.
I dont like what I see in teens today. I will STOP lumping them all in my statements though because Ben is right.. they are not all that way.
I dont like the handufll of kids I see that are ready to damage anything, anyone and enjoy themselves while they do it. But this isnt a new thing and I guarantee we are not the first people in the history of mankind to have this discussion. ;-)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:32 am
material girl wrote:

If they behave really badly, when they go out I go in their room and strip it down to the bare minimum, no tv, no computer, no music, no gameboy etc and see what their attitude is like then.

Yeah what the heck...I wasn't allowed a tv, computer or phone in my room. I finally got a phone when I was 17 and almost moving out! I see these kids who get punished to their rooms.....so they can watch tv, talk on their personal phone line and play on the internet. So harsh....
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:36 am
I have a stereo but no tv, computer, compgames,telephone etc
Kids do have LOTS today but it means they have alot more to LOSE!!!Mwohahahahaha!!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 08:39 am
We should evactuate a large island in the Pacific, and then set up sturdy, unadorned housing there. Take each child who reaches the age of 12, fingerprint them and take a DNA sample, and then deliver them to the island. Supplies should periodicly landed by heavily, and i mean heavily, armed Marines, who get the hell out pronto, immediately afterward.

When anyone on the list of detainees reaches the age of 18, send a SWAT team to the landing place, call out their name with a bullhorn, and then screen whoever shows up against the fingerprint and DNA record.

If they survive until they're 18, we send 'em off to what used to be the high schools to reintroduce them to literacy, and good table manners. When they reach the age of 21, they can be allowed to check a small, black-and-white portable television out of the library.

Nasty little perishers . . .
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 09:03 am
Setanta:-

Threaders Atkins, cicerone imposter and Foxfyre will take umbrage at that,They think that with more resources and more blarney they can put things right.

Yeah-I know.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:08 pm
material girl wrote:
eoe-All I mean is that the only things we see and base celebs on are the OTT things reported in the paper which reporters would consider to be entertaining.
I think an 8 year old having a personal stylist is ridiculous but Ive also heard Madge say that her daughter chooses her own clothes, so which is true.
Do we really believe the papers??!!Personnally I prefer to believe what I actually hear people say or personnaly experience, not what I read.

You're absolutely right. She does choose her own clothes. That's exactly what was said on the program I was watching. She tells her stylist exactly what she wants to wear and her outfit is put together.

Setanta, you forgot the beatings. What about the monthly beatings!?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:11 pm
Notice to all teenagers at A2K:

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

(Zat better, Boss?)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 12:14 pm
Say it louder, my friend. I don't think they heard you in Nome.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 02:02 am
Hahahaha,sounds like Lourdes is smart then.
0 Replies

benjamino

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 02:38 am
lol setanta. i have a story for you all, i helped an old lady across the road this morning. i didn't think that happened in real life, i thought it was a joke, like slipping on banana skins and stuff. see now how nice am i? Smile
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 06:41 am
benjamino wrote:
lol setanta. i have a story for you all, i helped an old lady across the road this morning. i didn't think that happened in real life, i thought it was a joke, like slipping on banana skins and stuff. see now how nice am i? Smile

That is awfully nice. Karma my friend, karma. Very Happy
0 Replies

val

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 05:02 am
Re: Young People: What is With the Attitude?
bella dea

Quote:
Is it just me or do the young people today have a really bad attitude problem?

They don't have a bad attitude problem. They fight the attitude of their parents, teachers. They want to be different. They have discovered the world, they are young, they have the force of life with them. They must fight the "old ones", I mean those that are not "young people".

It started long ago, when young people had to fight old people in order to have access to the females.

But don't worry. Give them ten years and they will rejoin the flock.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 05:44 am
Quote:
But don't worry. Give them ten years and they will rejoin the flock.

Yes, like the spinless hippies of the past, who, when they woke from the haze, donned suits and ties and became business criminals, forsaking everything they'd believed in.

I am in oposition to all things established that promote ignorance and dull our wits, and I will be so until the day I drop.
0 Replies