No melaleuca leaves

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2019 06:22 am

Does "No melaleuca leaves" mean "There are no leaves of melaleuca"? It appears not referring to "There are no melaleuca left/survived the wild fire.
I am not sure. Because it sounds odd.

Context:
EVEN for rehab, this is no ordinary hospital. For a start, most of the staff are volunteers. One of them, Sharyn Brown, shows me around the wards – shady, quiet enclosures dotted with gum trees, in which the patients sit. Whiteboards record their progress and requirements. “No melaleuca leaves,” one sign reads. Brown tells me that the hospital employs a “leaf searcher”, who scours the local forests to find foliage for dinner time. “This one,” she explains, pointing to a patient, “came from a part of the state where melaleuca doesn’t grow, so it would make him sick.”

Source:
https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24232340-500-koalas-burned-in-wildfires-can-be-now-saved-but-the-treatment-is-gross/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 701 • Replies: 2
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
izzythepush
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2019 06:31 am
@oristarA,
No. It appears on a whiteboard above the patients bed and is an instruction to those who care for the patient. It means Do not give this patient any melaleuca leaves.
oristarA

Reply Sun 16 Jun, 2019 06:37 am
@izzythepush,
Thank you.
0 Replies