FOOD FOR OIL=CASH FOR 'MERICANS

old europe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 02:13 pm
And does the sun rise in the east or in the west, when you're in the south?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 02:14 pm
Another good point, we will have to await the arrival of the antipodean crew to know for sure . . . but, even then, how will we know if they are playing us false?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 02:17 pm
..... hmmmm

They could be lying, true.

Maybe we should decide on that before they actually arrive.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 02:25 pm
First things first Walter, take the map out of the glove box, put your finger randomly anywhere and then exclaim (with authority) we are Here! (then adjust map under finger to approximate actual location) I get so tired trying to explain things like this to Germans.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 02:27 pm
Ok I forgot it's now dark over there Walter so the first step is to turn on that little light above your head.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 02:41 pm
Wait ... wait, dys: I still have difficulties to unflod the map from that damned round thing where it is glued, glo-ball (spelling?) that's called, I think ...
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 02:43 pm
glueball...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 02:44 pm
You could just take some tin snips and cut the globe down one side, Walter, then hammer it out flat . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 02:47 pm
Mercatorize it, you mean, Set?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 02:54 pm
That would be an acceptable euphemism . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 03:02 pm
Speaking of Euphrat ...
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 06:03 pm
Setanta wrote:
I wonder, though . . .

Do maps in the Antipodes show south at the top of the map?

They most certainly do Set and we are somewhat miffed by it.

I mean if you're in the northern hemisphere and the map points north it points to not much at all. A bit of ice, a few seals etc. So there you all are smack in the middle of where it counts.

But for us when it points north we're looking at lots and lots of interestings things like the Equator. But what's at the bottom of the map? We are.

I am totally aghast (been aghast for years) at this blatant example of hemisphere-centric hemisphere-ism. Who said all maps should be oriented north anyway? Did you ask us? Noooooooo....we're just languishing in the bottom right hand side of the Mercator Projection.

It's distressing. I'd rather not think of it. In fact I wish you'd never brought it up....bah hemisphere-ism.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 06:09 pm
Well, now, wait a minute, don't run off . . . what about sunrise, east or west?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 07:10 pm
I won't be able to respond till after 0200 MST. That is the time frame in which Bill is on here. I will respond after that. Laughing

I will be watching to see how this develops. It will be truly sad if this only turns into a big story because of supposed US involvement.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 07:14 pm
Hot Damn ! ! !

A conservative showed up . . .

Here, Baldimo, have a seat . . . no, no, over here in the comfy chair . . . can i get ya a cold drink? . . . mebbe a meatloaf sammich?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 07:56 pm
I'm here for a graduate course on this topic, so let me go back to the beginning first.....
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:17 pm
Well, so much for the agenda. The meanderings off of it have been fun, but what I want to know, for starters, is which Democratic investigation committee in the Senate leaked the report and who is its' chair? No hint of that in The Guardian story.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:22 pm
's far as I know it was not a "Democratic investigation committee" but rather Democratic staff on the "U.S. Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs", non?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:23 pm
The "story" does not come from any "Democratic investigation committee," because the Republicans control the Senate, and therefore, all of the committees. The Guardian article states that a Democratic staffer released the report--but that is just bad reporting on their part. The evidence comes from the report of the permanent subcommittee on investigations of the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs.

The report of the permanent subcommitte on investigations of the United States Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs (PDF format)

This is actually a link to the BBC, but in testing, i have found it loads faster than the Senate web site. The two versions are identical.

Happy reading . . .
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:27 pm
goodfielder wrote:
Setanta wrote:
I wonder, though . . .

Do maps in the Antipodes show south at the top of the map?

They most certainly do Set and we are somewhat miffed by it.

I mean if you're in the northern hemisphere and the map points north it points to not much at all. A bit of ice, a few seals etc. So there you all are smack in the middle of where it counts.

But for us when it points north we're looking at lots and lots of interestings things like the Equator. But what's at the bottom of the map? We are.

I am totally aghast (been aghast for years) at this blatant example of hemisphere-centric hemisphere-ism. Who said all maps should be oriented north anyway? Did you ask us? Noooooooo....we're just languishing in the bottom right hand side of the Mercator Projection.

It's distressing. I'd rather not think of it. In fact I wish you'd never brought it up....bah hemisphere-ism.

If it hasn't been done before, I think this warrants it's own thread. I just realized that I might have lived my entire life until now upside down. That would explain a whole lot of things...

It really would.
0 Replies