International ID Card

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 08:54 am
As far as I remember, there had been more on ot.

Nevermind, besides organ donation we have the same on our driving licenses resp. ID-cards.

The next, new ID-cards will be digital and have some biometrics data on it - this will last, I think, due to a) making an EU-standard, b) legal objections by the various German data protection authorities/offices.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:19 am
This post should be captioned national Paranoia! not international ID card. Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:21 am
au1929 wrote:
This post should be captioned national Paranoia! not international ID card. Laughing

Are you referring to mine?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:27 am
Walter
No. Just the general tone of the responses.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 09:45 am
Am I paranoid to not want chips, or are the chip folks the paranoid ones?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:01 am
What chips? The rfid ones in the ID card? I doubt it happens because they are too easy to hack and destroy.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:13 am
Those of you who are laughing this off better wake up.

I don't think the situation is as extreme as the original poster posits, but it is definately a worry.

McG
Quote:
Drewdad: You'll have to do better than that. A national ID in no way will make me, or anyone else divest themselves of civil liberties. You are letting the liberal hype get to you.

Um, not Liberal, but Libertarian. It's not the Liberals who are against this for the most part but Freedom advocates.

Quote:
What it will do is force people to be accounted for. Illegal aliens will have a tougher time being illegal. Identoty theft will become much more difficult. Purchasing booze by underage kids will decrease.

Rolling Eyes Are you serious? Booze purchases by underage kids will decrease? Sheesh! We'd better hop right on this one!

And I'm not sure why you think Identity theft will become much more difficult. Why don't you outline to me exactly why this is true? Given that so much of your information will be collected into national ID databases, which are subject to hacking and theft as much as any other database. Hell, we get teenage kids hacking our most secure sites these days, so let's put all the info in one place (and a database, btw, which has to be extensively crosslinked with an abundance of access points in order to be AT ALL useful) and make it EASY for a thief to get all they need at one stop. And you think this will make you safer? It's like you live in bizzaro world...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:23 am
ossobuco wrote:
Am I paranoid to not want chips, or are the chip folks the paranoid ones?

you want dip as well I suppose.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:24 am
You sure seem to know an awful lot about a system that doesn't exist. How is that?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:25 am
Because I've taken the time to read articles and study up on it before I open my mouth about it. Have you?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:39 am
<yes, chips as in the radio frequency chip in the international ID. Would they sink in a bowl of dip?>

As I think I expressed with a comment about Orwell, my mostly lefty part libertarian self is not enthused about an international ID.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:40 am
you are now number 6;
http://www.badgeplanet.co.uk/badges_large/prisoner-1.jpg
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:46 am
please note ID tatooed on forearm:
http://www.port-folio.org/6_1an.jpg
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:47 am
I hope you've read more than the lame, paranoid delusions that have been posted on A2K. If you had, you would know that nothing has been decided yet regarding the database, the RFID, or even what will be required to be on the ID.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:47 am
"What it will do is force people to be accounted for. Illegal aliens will have a tougher time being illegal. Identoty theft will become much more difficult. Purchasing booze by underage kids will decrease"

Not convinced. If our immigrations laws were actually enforced, illegals would not be an issue. If standardized MV procedures we in place, they too would help solve the problems you state.

This is to me just another lame attempt by Govt to try to show the public that they are trying to do something when they are only wasting our tax dollars.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:52 am
woiyo

Isn't that the function of government to waste or otherwise subvert our tax dollars? Sad
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 11:02 am
woiyo wrote:
"What it will do is force people to be accounted for. Illegal aliens will have a tougher time being illegal. Identoty theft will become much more difficult. Purchasing booze by underage kids will decrease"

Not convinced. If our immigrations laws were actually enforced, illegals would not be an issue. If standardized MV procedures we in place, they too would help solve the problems you state.

This is to me just another lame attempt by Govt to try to show the public that they are trying to do something when they are only wasting our tax dollars.

But immigration laws are not being enforced and this IS a standardization of MV procedures.

I am at a loss of what you would not consider a waste of tax dollars.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 11:03 am
McG
Quote:
I hope you've read more than the lame, paranoid delusions that have been posted on A2K. If you had, you would know that nothing has been decided yet regarding the database, the RFID, or even what will be required to be on the ID.

The RFID part has/will be implemented. Hell, starting in September of this year, they will be in new Passports issued by the US. Did you know that?

It doesn't matter that they haven't announced what they eventually choose to be required on the ID, because there are two considerations that you have to think about:

1, no matter what the information is, it has to be stored in a centralized, accessable database that can be used for a wide variety of purposes. This is the DEFINITION of a security risk; multiple points of access. The more there are, the more have to be defended, and we all know that it is difficult to defend databases as it is. There is no logical reason to believe this will change.

2, in order to be at all useful, there will HAVE to be a certain amount of your personal and private information stored within it. Therefore the fact that you don't know what that information is at this point does not preclude the ability to predict that in order for the system to function, there must be sensitive information involved; there's no point otherwise.

I've been studying this issue, and RFID tags in general, for three years. I have read an extensive amount of industry and research articles on the subject as well as social articles on the possible implications. I am well aware of the staggering benefits for our society that can be offered by RFID chips, as well as the dangers. Do me a favor and don't accuse me of not knowing what I'm talking about on this subject again.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 11:11 am
McGentrix wrote:
woiyo wrote:

But immigration laws are not being enforced and this IS a standardization of MV procedures.

I am at a loss of what you would not consider a waste of tax dollars.

What "boggles" my mind is that we AGREE that immigration laws are not being enforced and yet, our elected representatives ignore that problem then tell us the we should spend MORE money on ANOTHER idea!!!

I wonder, with all the time we "bitch and complain" to each other here, do you spend ANY TIME "bitching and complaining" to your local rep adviseing them that if they want you vote, ENFORE THE "F"ING LAWS ALREADY ON THE BOOKS and stop this madness???

I do and it got to the point where my Democratic Representative in Congress will not even acknowledge me e-mails any more.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 11:16 am
Woiyo,

It's for different reasons. The Dems are afraid of alienating part of their traditional base and violating sensitive human rights issues. The Republicans don't mind illegal aliens at all; after all, they can't be expected to clean their own f*cking houses and mow their own lawns, now can they?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies