Tomorrow's forecast: Partly sunny with scattered earthquakes

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:52 pm
Quote:
Scientists Unveil Earthquake Forecast
Thursday May 19, 4:39 AM

Californians wondering if tomorrow's forecast will be sunny can now find out if there's also a chance of afternoon tremors.

Scientists launched a Web site Wednesday that calculates the probability of strong ground-shaking at specific locations over a 24-hour period.

The forecast maps, updated hourly, would be most useful after a temblor strong enough to break windows and crack plaster, according to U.S. Geological Survey seismologist Matthew Gerstenberger, who developed the site.

After a big earthquake hits an area, scientists know there will be aftershocks, but they can't pinpoint when or where. Now residents rattled by a quake can go online and check for the possibility of more jolting in their area.

Details appear in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature.

The chances of the maps showing when and where a significant earthquake will strike, however, are slim most of the time, scientists say.

How soon, do you imagine, before somebody complains the earthquake forecast only adds to hysteria?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 592 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:55 pm
I'm not so much worried about that, Timber, as I am that people will start to complain that they were all prepared for an earthquake which never happened. Like carrying an umbrella on a clear day because the rain that was forecast never materialized. Damn it! You predicted a quake. Now where is it?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 18 May, 2005 08:59 pm
Maybe the weather Channel will now have "Earthquakes on the 9's"
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:18 am
The Weather Channel will probably up the price for ads on Earthquake Tracking Days.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 10:16 am
Most Californians are prepared for an earthquake.
My earthquake kit is in my garage and exchanged
on a yearly basis.

I don't think that an earthquake forecast will create
panic amongst us true Californians. The rest can move
to Arizona Mr. Green
0 Replies