They're Finally Doing It...And It's About Time

woiyo

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:02 am
"But the measure being written by Sen. Pat Roberts (news, bio, voting record), R-Kan., would give the FBI new power to issue administrative subpoenas, which are not reviewed by a judge or grand jury, for quickly obtaining records, electronic data or other evidence in terrorism investigations, according to aides for the GOP majority on the committee who briefed reporters Wednesday."

This has ZERO to do with the arrest of someone. Only the investigative process.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:05 am
It has everything, however, to do with this:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Fourth amendment to the United States Constitution, ratified December 15, 1791.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:05 am
woiyo wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
woiyo wrote:
"Recipients could challenge the subpoenas in court and the Bush administration would have to report to Congress twice a year exactly how it was using this investigatory power, the aides said."

Seems like there is a check and balance here.

What exactly are you afraid of?

I'm afraid that with this change the burden of proof, or even of probable cause, seems to have shifted to the suspect rather than the government. That's not supposed to be how things work here. That IS however, the way things work in third world dictatorships.

That is a "whine", not an answer.

They can challange the subpoena in court. They will report to Congress twice a year. Abuse of this power will be checked by Congress AND the courts.

What is it exactly that you are afraid of?

No, that was a very clear answer. I'm afraid that the burden of proof and probable cause has shifted to the individual. That's a major shift for this country. And there's a reason why we didn't do it this way before. You asked me what I was afraid of and I answered. The fact that your only response was the usual right wing "whine" tells me that it was a good one.

Tell me, if the Bush administration reported to this Republican Congress that it was in fact abusing this power, what do you think they would do about it? Would Frist lead the way to revoke the power?

And how about let's look at how this power might play out in practice. I get one of these subpoenas. I want to challenge it in court. I have to find a lawyer who can challenge it. That's money I don't have. Second, I have to show that they don't have cause for it. That's right, I have to show the court the non-existence of evidence. And hey, what if the evidence is secret -- which is totally allowed by the PATRIOT Act. Then what do I dispute? And how much money am I out?

You have access to google so you can see for yourself how the powers granted to fight terrorism are actually being used to fight ordinary crime. They don't need this power. They haven't shown compelling evidence that this new power would be helpful in fighting terrorism. It's unnecessary.

You might be willing to roll over whenever they ask, but I'm not.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:06 am
woiyo wrote:
"Recipients could challenge the subpoenas in court and the Bush administration would have to report to Congress twice a year exactly how it was using this investigatory power, the aides said."

Seems like there is a check and balance here.

What exactly are you afraid of?

How can they challenge something in court if
a.) they don't know it was done
b.) they are jailed in a military jail and have no rights to an attorney
or
c.) sent secretly to a foreign country

Anyone can challenge the secret wire tap once they are told about it. But we can't ever tell them about it because it is secret. So who is ever going to challenge it in court? Oh, yeah. There is a real check and balance on that one. Explain how a person finds out about the SECRET woiyo? I can't wait to hear your explanation.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:54 am
"They also have pushed for the administrative subpoena power, which they say prosecutors already are using in health care fraud and other criminal cases.

Justice Department officials have been consulted on the legislation and offered technical advice, department spokesman Kevin Madden said.

"The Department of Justice appreciates that the Senate Intelligence Committee has signaled their intention to support provisions that enhance law enforcement's ability to combat terrorism effectively," Madden said."

The DOJ and Senate Committee are only in the drafting stage at this point and nothing has been changed.

Your overreation is consistant with your inability objectively debate the issue of National Security.

Of course if you carfully examined all the elements of the Patriot Act and the Homeboy Security Dept, you would come to realize that it is all a bunch of BS degisgned by our elected officials, both democrat and Republicans, to give the appearence that they are doing something, when in reality, they are not.

If our immigration laws were actually followed and our borders actually secure, none of this crap would be needed.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 07:56 am
So why pile more crap on top of the existing crap?

At some point it has to stop.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:01 am
woiyo wrote:
"They also have pushed for the administrative subpoena power, which they say prosecutors already are using in health care fraud and other criminal cases.

Justice Department officials have been consulted on the legislation and offered technical advice, department spokesman Kevin Madden said.

"The Department of Justice appreciates that the Senate Intelligence Committee has signaled their intention to support provisions that enhance law enforcement's ability to combat terrorism effectively," Madden said."

The DOJ and Senate Committee are only in the drafting stage at this point and nothing has been changed.

Are we not to concern ourselves with granting of overreaching powers until such time as they are granted? You asked me my opinion, and it is a strong one, and I gave it to you. I would not have considered offering an opinion to be an overreaction.

Quote:
Your overreation is consistant with your inability objectively debate the issue of National Security.

Assuming that you are addressing me on this one, is there some history we have that I'm not aware of? I don't remember debating national security with you. Please refresh my memory.

Quote:
Of course if you carfully examined all the elements of the Patriot Act and the Homeboy Security Dept, you would come to realize that it is all a bunch of BS degisgned by our elected officials, both democrat and Republicans, to give the appearence that they are doing something, when in reality, they are not.

If our immigration laws were actually followed and our borders actually secure, none of this crap would be needed.

And so, if you don't agree that this crap is needed, why argue for it? Incidentally, I agree with your assessment of the Patriot Act and HSC above, but anything they legislate has the power of law, whether their intent was only to give appearance or not.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:05 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
So why pile more crap on top of the existing crap?

At some point it has to stop.

So our elected officials can continue their charade and the partisens will now have more "fingers" to use to point to others rather than themselves.

Look at the hysteria that was created by a potential addition by the partisens on this thread. I'll bet the news outlets are salavating on this one. Most of you are.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:06 am
woiyo that was amazingly James Deanish.

"Rebel Without A Clue" stuff.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:07 am
Partisanship has almost nothing to do with it. I'd bet that there are quite a few conservatives who have their panties in a wad about this sort of thing.

This is a government of the people. As such, we have a responsibility to watch the dirty bastards closely and let them know we're not sleeping.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:11 am
Yep.

(Points at new sig.)
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:17 am
I'm confused.

Is woiyo for or against expansion of the patriot act and making search warrant sections permanant? What she is quoting sounds like she's against it.

BTW, "Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and other administration officials have been adamant that the expiring provisions become permanent, with few changes.

They also have pushed for the administrative subpoena power, which they say prosecutors already are using in health care fraud and other criminal cases...

"The Department of Justice appreciates that the Senate Intelligence Committee has signaled their intention to support provisions that enhance law enforcement's ability to combat terrorism effectively," Madden said.

What the heck does health care fraud have to do with terrorism? Come on! This isn't being used to combat terrorism. it's being used against american citizens.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:24 am
squinney wrote:
I'm confused.

Is woiyo for or against expansion of the patriot act and making search warrant sections permanant? What she is quoting sounds like she's against it.

BTW, "Attorney General Alberto Gonzales and other administration officials have been adamant that the expiring provisions become permanent, with few changes.

They also have pushed for the administrative subpoena power, which they say prosecutors already are using in health care fraud and other criminal cases...

"The Department of Justice appreciates that the Senate Intelligence Committee has signaled their intention to support provisions that enhance law enforcement's ability to combat terrorism effectively," Madden said.

What the heck does health care fraud have to do with terrorism? Come on! This isn't being used to combat terrorism. it's being used against american citizens.

Don't be confused Sir. I will clear this up for you.

The Patriot Act, the Homeboy Security Dept are only 2 of the long list of "things" our elected officials have wasted our tax dollars on in an effort to make us think they are doing EVERYTHING THEY CAN to protect us.

Many Democrats and Republicans voted to support these measure and YOU VOTED FOR THEM. Now you complain about them.

These are token jestures and I am against wasting my money on half assed measures.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:33 am
A) I'm every bit a woman.

B) I thought it sounded like you were agreeing that more useless legislation that is designed to only make us "feel" safe was a waste of effort. I'm glad we agree.

C) I didn't vote for any of the bozo's leading this charade.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:40 am
"Is woiyo for or against expansion of the patriot act and making search warrant sections permanant? What she is quoting sounds like she's against it."

Hard to tell from your "handle" and apparently my "handle makes it difficult for you to determine that I am NOT female.

Aside from that I doubt you voted for NONE of the incumbants of our elected officials who either approved this legislation or were unable to changes minds of others to vote against it. Either way, we are responsible as the voters. So don't start pointing fingers unless the first finger is pointed back at yourself.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 08:54 am
Bear wins. He just said he was sure you were male. I thought everyone knew me as Bears wife, so thought my gender was apparent. Anyways....

I didn't vote for Dole, Burr or any of the other NC reps currently in office in DC. I was an Edwards supporter, but he didn't run again. I don't care about pointing fingers, just found it odd for us to be agreeing and thought others were taking your comments as being in support of the measure.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:12 pm
"what am i/ we afraid of?"

for starters, it's pretty scary to me that any american would willingly allow his/her civil rights to be whittled away, under any circumstance.

pre-9/11, the government had every tool they needed to secure the borders, the airports etc. but they weren't, and still aren't being used effectively.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 12:39 pm
Baldimo wrote:
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
candidone1 wrote:
Unfortunately, there are still too many who believe that's exactly what Bush is doing with his policies--taking back America.

but less and less of them everyday..... :wink:

Why not give them the powers they need to combat terrorists here on American soil? I know you are concerned about abuse, but has there been any abuse? Have there been any reports of abuse? Have people disappeared off the streets never to be seen again?

Given how the media operates here it wouldn't be hard to figure out if they are abusing the power. I'm willing to give my govt the benefit of the doubt on issues such as this. Do you not want to because you don't like this administration? Would you object as strongly if it were someone who you liked and trusted.

Actually people have vanished off the streets never to be seen from again, from us anyway. We send them off to other countries to be tortured.

I don't trust this bunch of power grabbing left over federalist as far as I can spit. In fact they scare me more than words can say. Terrorist can kill us and terrorize us, but they can't change our country; only we can and we are.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 01:19 pm
revel wrote:
Actually people have vanished off the streets never to be seen from again, from us anyway. We send them off to other countries to be tortured.

I don't trust this bunch of power grabbing left over federalist as far as I can spit. In fact they scare me more than words can say. Terrorist can kill us and terrorize us, but they can't change our country; only we can and we are.

you tell 'em, briar. Laughing

and that opinion coming not from over here on the left coast, but from the heartland.

that people ignore what's going on reminds me of a frank zappa song from the '60s called, "it can't happen here".

if all of this stuff is to make us secure, how come i feel less save than i did 6 years ago?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 19 May, 2005 01:22 pm
Odd, I feel just as safe as I did 6 years ago, but now I know the enemy is being hunted down instead of ignored.
0 Replies